Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can you recommend data recovery tool for IT shop

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GeorgeStobbart

GeorgeStobbart

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 11:48 AM

Hello Everyone. I am new on this forum.

I just opened up a tech shop in Dominica and I am planning to take on some cases for HDD data recovery. At my previous job we used PC3000 and DeepSpar DDI3 and DDI4. However these are incredibly expensive for my operation. Each one is  over 3500 USD :-0.

Software, no matter how well it’s built can’t do recovery right because of PC limitations itself. Does anyone know if there is a hardware solution (Data Recovery Imager of some sort) that doesn’t require to sell a kidney and one of my kids? Any experience that you had in the past?

I would really appreciate your help

George

Edited by hamluis, 14 November 2015 - 01:34 PM.
Moved from External Hardware to All Other Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:53 PM

Amongst many very good choices are MiniTool Power Data Recovery [with Bootable Media Builder] and Ultimate Restorer Pro [including the Remote Engine]. I recommend having licensed versions, appears more professional and sometimes one gets extra control and extra goodies with the pay-fors.
Recommend you carry along two external HDs for making full images before attempting to recover partitions, folders and files. Warning! If customer HD failure is close at hand -- quickly recover what can be recovered after asking questions determining the places where most of the data files have probably been stored.
Whether in-house or in customer's place, ask questions before jumping in. Close at hand HD failure often calls for differing approaches for data recovery.
Charge fair prices for fair data recovery attempts! Data recovery often is not a clean neat nifty result-oriented process; it is often akin to fighting a house fire -- often the physical things saved [partitions, folders files here] do not appear or end up cleanly, neatly. You may have to build in "walk-away rights" into your written estimates/contracts.

Edited by RolandJS, 18 September 2015 - 02:07 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 GeorgeStobbart

GeorgeStobbart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 02:07 PM

Hi Roland. Thank you for advise. However, I am not interested in Software solutions. They are limited in handling data recovery on degrading drives. We killed quite a few in the past because we didn't know any better. Actually I found a good explanation on why hardware tools must be used. https://youtu.be/_71fPdtVUAg?list=PL9Ku8p13aDdOX5Axujybz5KOq58DUxn8Y

Any OS starting mounting faulty drive, will have a big chance to kill it. There must be something in between. I just need to find it.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 02:11 PM

Oh, ok, I misunderstood! Hope you find the hardware tools you're looking for!

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 GeorgeStobbart

GeorgeStobbart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 12:09 PM

Hello guys,

I recently saw that Deepspar released a new product. Rapidspar. From what I read it looks like a good compromise for me. And the price is more affordable. However I didn't find any reviews or hands on experience by anyone. Did anyone try it yet? http://rapidspar.com/

George

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:22 PM

I think you would get a better response on the HDDGuru Board under the Software and Hardware Tools section.

http://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=30555

#7 GeorgeStobbart

GeorgeStobbart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2015 - 09:07 AM

Thanks John

Moving to HDDguru

#8 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2015 - 10:14 PM

This might be meaningless to you, but for computer repairing shops, buying the technician edition of data recovery software is cost-effective. One-time payment allows to install on different machines.  Some of them are not so expensive, such as Easeus data recovery technician or Minitool power data recovery technician as mentioned above.

Edited by Bailifei, 03 November 2015 - 10:15 PM.

#9 GeorgeStobbart

GeorgeStobbart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 04:33 PM

Hey guys.
Seems like no one used it yet. They added another section on their site which I find quite awesome. I knew that Soft no matter how professional, has limitations beyond software developer control. If their claim is true, I am sold on rapid spar.  I would like to hear your opinion on that. 
http://rapidspar.com/why.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users