Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

REGISTRY ERRORS

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 freddie63

freddie63

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:04 AM

HI, I was hoping that someone could give me a step by step guide to fix registry errors.I have 116 of them I called a tech and they wanted $200 to fix it,And Ido not have that kind of money andI1am not real smart when it comes to cp so any help would be greatly appreciated.Thank-You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:09 AM

How do you know you have 116 registry errors?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 freddie63

freddie63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:21 PM

That is what the tech that I called showed me I gave hin permission to have remote control of my pc

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:40 PM

It sounds like you have fallen victim to a tech support scam.

Your best course of action is to disconnect the machine from the Internet and uninstall the remote control software ASAP.

Did the fake tech support do anything on your system?

Have you performed any transaction with them? (from what you wrote in the initial post, I hope that you did not)

You may want to take a look at Malwarebytes' tech support scams help resource page for some things you can do if there are problems.

Hope this helps :)

#5 freddie63

freddie63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:29 PM

Thank-You very much for the info. I think you fixed my problem again thanks. Is there a free registry repair that is worth using?

#6 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:40 PM

That is what the tech that I called showed me I gave hin permission to have remote control of my pc

You were scammed. 

Going to & running Malwarebytes is an excellent suggestion.

Is there a free registry repair that is worth using?

The question is moot.  Leave the Registry alone!!  (Period!)  Do not use any of that nasty stuff be it free or not!!

Edited by Drew1903, 18 September 2015 - 09:56 PM.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:44 PM

Thank-You very much for the info. I think you fixed my problem again thanks. Is there a free registry repair that is worth using?

Registry Cleaners are known to be harmful to the system and should not be used for any reason there is. It's a known fact that using Registry Cleaners can easily break a Windows installation, to the point where a complete reinstallation might be needed. Here's a few myths about using these programs, and why they are just plainly false.
  • "Using a Registry Cleaner will improve a system's performance" - False. The Windows Registry is a big database which contains information on everything present on the system, from the boot settings to how your programs looks when you open them. There's so many entries in it that cleaning even thousands of them isn't enough to boost a system performance. Also, there's no studies, tests, benchmarks, etc. which shows that using Registry Cleaners actually improve a system speed;
  • "Using a Registry Cleaner will fix all your errors" - False. Using a Registry Cleaner won't fix any problems at all. In fact, it have more chances to create them if anything. There's no program that can fix every problems in a simple click, and there probably never will. If you have an error, it's better to troubleshoot that error in particuliar by finding what's causing it and fixing it than using a software that might give you more errors;
  • "If you don't use a Registry Cleaner, you'll leave a door open for malware" - False. It is rare that malware will actually hijack orpheans keys and keypairs in the Registry to create persistence or install themself. They'll usually create their own keys/keypairs since they have been instructed (coded) to do so, and the creator cannot expect every system he'll infect to have leftover keys. Also, pretty much only Reg Loading Points in the Registry would be of any interest for a malware to hijack, and these are usually occupied already, or quickly deleted when empty;
  • Registry Cleaners aren't Registry Defraggers - These are two different kind of software who have two distinct function each.
  • On a last note, there's a lot of Registry Cleaners out here that won't create a back-up of your Registry before applying the changes they make. Which means that if you use them and clean entries that prevents Windows to reboot after, locking you out of your computer, you won't be able to restore a precedent Registry back-up via the Recovery PE. This means that if you can't fix the boot issue after that, you'll most likely be forced to reinstall Windows;
Registry Cleaners were used back in the days by developers who were using a OLE-schema for their applications. They used these to clean the Registry after uninstalling their programs, just in case there was traces of it left behind that could affect a reinstallation. These were back in the Windows 95 and Windows 98 days and this practice isn't in effect anymore. Therefore, there's no reason for you to use such programs and quite a few to avoid them instead.

Here's more articles on Registry Cleaners that are worth a read if you want to learn more about them and why you shouldn't use them.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 06:56 AM

What was going on that prompted you to call this "tech"?

Please describe the problem in detail.

What is the make and model of this computer?

Edited by dc3, 19 September 2015 - 06:59 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 11:03 AM

And WHERE (what company or service) did you call to get this 'tech' twit??

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 11:09 AM

Drew, that's of no importance as there are very many such "techs" out there willing to take your money and leave your computer a mess.  We don't have a forum which addresses situations like this, and I for one don't believe it's relative in this forum other than to let us know the recent history behind their current problem.

#11 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 11:49 AM

Drew, that's of no importance as there are very many such "techs" out there willing to take your money and leave your computer a mess.  We don't have a forum which addresses situations like this, and I for one don't believe it's relative in this forum other than to let us know the recent history behind their current problem.

True, except the info can be helpful to others so they don't try using the same place for assistance.  But, yes, there are, certainly, several of these criminals.  Usually it's them phoning people & saying they are Microsoft.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users