Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender turns off automatically

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JJtothe4884

JJtothe4884

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:18 AM

Hey!

I've been recently experiencing this issue on my machine. On occasion, defender turns of mysteriously. This was after I uninstalled BitDefender. Should I be concerned. Are there viable alternative antivirus software that you recommend?

Edited by Orange Blossom, 18 September 2015 - 11:24 AM.
Moved from Windows 10 to more appropriate forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,471 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 02:50 PM

Since Windows 8/10 Defender includes anti-virus protection, it typically is disabled by the installation of a third-party anti-virus program. If a trial anti-virus (i.e. McAfee, Norton, etc) came preinstalled on your computer or you installed one, it most likely turned Windows 8 Defender off (disabled) to avoid conflicts. Windows 8/10 Defender will remain disabled until that anti-virus software has been completely uninstalled. In some cases, you may need to download and run the anti-virus vendor's clean up tool to remove any remaining remnants. If not, Defender may not work properly.

Did you follow these instructions? How to uninstall Bitdefender Products

And did you run the uninstall tool?
Uninstall Tools for Bitdefender Paid Products
Uninstall Tools for Bitdefender Trial Products
Uninstall Tools for Bitdefender Products...Paid, Trial and Business Products

If you have not done so already, you may want to read these topics:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 JJtothe4884

JJtothe4884
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:23 PM

What about Open Source protection programs. Are they any better?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,471 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 04:06 PM

What specific open source programs are you looking at?

#5 JJtothe4884

JJtothe4884
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 04:13 PM

refer to this article: http://www.datamation.com/osrc/article.php/3882711/50-Open-Source-Tools-To-Replace-Popular-Security-Software.htm

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,471 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 04:53 PM

ClamWin Free Anti-virus is useful if you want something portable on a USB or removable drive, however, it does not include an on-access real-time scanner to automatically scan your computer or scan files as you download them. That means you have to schedule a scan of your system or manually click on a file to scan it individually in order to detect any malware. ClamAV for Windows is a cloud-based anti-virus software similar to Panda except it is open source.

In simple terms, Cloud computer refers to having programs and data reside on an outside network device instead of permanently on your local hard drive. In theory it turns your browser into a flexible smart terminal and the main program you execute. The program you run and data you store is somewhere else on the planet similar to the old concept of a main frame.

What on Earth is “Cloud” ComputingPanda Security was founded in 1990 and the company was one of the early pioneers in anti-virus software. They are among the top 5 largest vendors and in 2009 were the first IT security company to introduce cloud-based antivirus with its Collective Intelligence technology. With Panda Cloud Anti-virus you do not need to be connected to the Internet all the time in order to be protected. Panda stores a local cache copy of "Collective Intelligence" for offline operation. If you are disconnected from the net, it still works in the background, checking files against its local cache of the most common threats in circulation. I do not know if ClamAV for Windows provides this same type of protection.

I never used Nixory.

Many site rating vendors (i.e. McAfee SiteAdvisor, WOT, Google's Safe Browsing, Webutation, avast! WebRep, etc) use a system of volunteer testers that continually patrol the Internet to browse sites, download files, and submit information. All the results are documented and supplemented with feedback from users, Web site owners, and analysis from their own employees. The advising site vendor then summarizes the results typically into into a color-coded red, yellow and green ratings scale to help inform Web users as to the safety of each tested site. While these tools are useful, they are not foolproof and sometimes may provide misleading ratings. Just because you visit a risky site, that does not automatically mean the site is bad or that your system has been infected by going there. In contrast, going to a safe site could even prompt a warning. There are legitimate programs which are falsely detected by various anti-virus programs from time to time. This sometimes results in an inaccurate site rating/warning of potentially dangerous software when that is not the case. Thus, the use of such rating sites does not always guarantee an accurate rating of the results they provide. Further, for the novice user, rating sites can provide a a false sense of security.

IMO Windows built-in Firewall is enough.

#7 JJtothe4884

JJtothe4884
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:00 PM

In terms of other security software, I also have HerdProtect and Malwarebytes on my system. Is this enough or are there any other tools you recommend for me to have on my system?

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,471 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 04:54 AM

Resources to help prevent advertisements & block websites:Ransomware Prevention Tools:

#9 JJtothe4884

JJtothe4884
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 10:12 AM

Does anyone use Privacy Badger?

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,471 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2015 - 07:06 AM

Most folks I know use uBlock and Ghostery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users