Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 what tu use instead of Combofix?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 musson

musson

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:45 AM

Title say it, what's the best alternative to Combofix for 8.1?  I also use Adwcleaner, JRT and Malwarebytes Anti Rootkit?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 18 September 2015 - 09:02 AM.
moved from Windows 8

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:25 AM

First and most important, you do not want to run Combofix without the assistance of a member of the Malware Removal Team.  If this tool is used improperly it can cause serious problems with your operating system.

Running scans with your antivirus and Malwarebytes usually will keep your computer clean.  Make sure that both of these programs are updated before running a scan with them.

If you are downloading software and are not using the Custom install option you probably are installing third party software which is embedded in the download.  By using the Custom install and carefully read through each page that opens you can find the third party software.  Once you find it you can elect to not install it.  But if you don't use the Custom option and believe you have install Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUP) AdwCleaner is a good tool for removing these.

If you believe that you are infected I would suggest opening a topic in the Am I Infected forum.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 musson

musson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:26 AM

I do this for a living, I am just interested in what other people are using.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:39 AM

Your title is misleading if you just want to know what others are using.  You specifically ask about an alternative to Combofix.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 musson

musson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:40 AM

Which I have yet to get an answer for.

#6 TheLaughingITMann

TheLaughingITMann

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:54 AM

With Combofix being one of a kind, as it is...I feel like until they (the makers) get Combofix situated with a Windows 8/10 variant, we are left to depend on various other tools. It's a good tool, but it's only one. For Windows 8/8.1 and 10, I've depended on using Malwarebytes, ADWCleaner, JRT, Emsisoft's Emergency Kit, and SuperAntiSpyware. By this time, if there's still something on someone's rig that can't be yanked out, then I start getting really down and dirty.

#7 musson

musson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 12:39 PM

With Combofix being one of a kind, as it is...I feel like until they (the makers) get Combofix situated with a Windows 8/10 variant, we are left to depend on various other tools. It's a good tool, but it's only one. For Windows 8/8.1 and 10, I've depended on using Malwarebytes, ADWCleaner, JRT, Emsisoft's Emergency Kit, and SuperAntiSpyware. By this time, if there's still something on someone's rig that can't be yanked out, then I start getting really down and dirty.

Thanks!

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 02:44 PM

sUBs, the creator of ComboFix, has advised that he was holding off releasing any working version of his tools for Windows 10/Windows 8.1 which includes both ComboFix and DDS. However, at this point ComboFix most likely never will be updated to support Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 since there are other alternatives (such as FRST, Zoek) which are being used by malware removal experts.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users