Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows won't update without Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tonyabacus

tonyabacus

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:07 AM

I have a Packard Bell machine running Windows 7, I registered my interest for Windows 10 and in time got an update note in the notification area, but have not taken up the option.

However I now have a number of updates that need uploading but each time I go to the update screen I automatically get a box ticked for Windows 10. After and despite removing the tick in that box but ticking the other updates, when I click to go ahead I get a screen note to tell me it is downloading Windows 10. I have tried to download these other updates a number of times since Windows 10 became available but each time it tells me it is downloading Windows 10 and I cannot seem to get access to the others that I need.

Is this a common problem or am I missing something, any help please with a solution or work around?

Thanks

Tony

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:15 AM

Hi tonyabacus :)

This is a glitch with the Windows Update and Windows 10. Even if you untick (and you can hide it as well) the "Upgrade to Windows 10" update, check the others and proceed to install them, it'll display a message saying it's installing Windows 10, but in fact it's not. It's a bug with the Windows Update client. I have it constantly in my VMs, but the updates installs just fine, and Windows 10 doesn't.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 tonyabacus

tonyabacus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:21 AM

Hi Warrior

Thanks for the fast response, good to know I can now go ahead especially with a couple of critical downloads. If they can't get a simple part of the process right what confidence does that give for the Windows 10 download.

Really appreciate that you guys are there patrolling the systems for us.

Regards

Tony

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:31 AM

No problem Tony, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users