Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AMD FX-8350 high temps or not?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Karzahni

Karzahni

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 06:43 AM

As far as I can tell, these temperatures are too high, but they probably aren't accurate as I've read.

Open Hardware Monitor recorded maximum temperature is 72.5 degrees C. It's currently hovering around 35 with a virtual machine idling. It was just installing XP on the VM and was hovering around 60.

MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard

AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz with stock CoolerMaster cooler

G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB RAM overclocked at 2133 MHz

2x CrossFire Sapphire HD 3870

Corsair Force LX 128 GB SSD

Seagate Momentus 750 GB 2.5" 7200rpm HDD

750W EVGA PSU

Full tower

2 80mm Intake fans (with filters, one of them is kind of blocked by the hard drive enclosure)

1 80mm top fan

1 80mm rear fan

1 ~100-120mm fan aimed at the GPUs with a vent at the rear.

Windows 10 Pro

There isn't really any ventilation at the back of the cavity where the tower is. I think it may be necessary to add holes to the backing ply or get a better CPU cooler. Especially since I live in Australia and summer is approaching. It's not even hot at the moment and I'm getting these reported temps, which will only rise as the heat rises.

Edited by Karzahni, 18 September 2015 - 07:14 AM.

"A lizard in the desert wouldn't eat that." ~Gordon Ramsay

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:13 PM

Well...I have an 8320 processor and a quick Google seems to indicate that the 8350 is not significantly different when it comes to temperature readings.

But...I don't game, I don't overclock...I'm a user who appreciates the system and use it daily...with the most intensive task being video-editing and rendering of such.

I use the stock cooler/heatsink, although I have bought both the Hyper T4 and the Hyper 212 with the idea of installing one as the replacement for the AMD stock cooler.  But I haven't had any indications of problem with the stock, so it has remained operative.

What I find is...the CPU temp with stock will run high (60-70 Celsius) and may approach 80 Celsius under stress of editing video with lots of modifications...but the system will be fine.  The fan will get loud during those peak periods...but the system will be fine.  My MB is an ASUS M5A78L-M, which is probably not the best board for the CPU but it works to my satisfaction.

My current CPU temp fluctuates from 46 Celsius to 56 or so Celsius with no major loads applied.  The highest that my CPU temp has ever been is 80 Celsius.

So my advice would be...forget about the stated max operating range for the 8350...use whatever cooler you like or have...and don't worry about it.  If you start to have problems, you will know it and then you can change the cooler as the main scapegoat.

I think of it this way...neither AMD nor Intel...is about to furnish stock coolers which are inadequate or incapable of doing what they are supposed to do, under normal circumstances.  By all means, replace the cooler if such will make you sleep better at night or be more proud of your system...but I don't believe it's necessary and, in my world, a working system is a good system :).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 18 September 2015 - 01:15 PM.

#3 Karzahni

Karzahni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:07 PM

Well...I have an 8320 processor and a quick Google seems to indicate that the 8350 is not significantly different when it comes to temperature readings.

But...I don't game, I don't overclock...I'm a user who appreciates the system and use it daily...with the most intensive task being video-editing and rendering of such.

I use the stock cooler/heatsink, although I have bought both the Hyper T4 and the Hyper 212 with the idea of installing one as the replacement for the AMD stock cooler.  But I haven't had any indications of problem with the stock, so it has remained operative.

What I find is...the CPU temp with stock will run high (60-70 Celsius) and may approach 80 Celsius under stress of editing video with lots of modifications...but the system will be fine.  The fan will get loud during those peak periods...but the system will be fine.  My MB is an ASUS M5A78L-M, which is probably not the best board for the CPU but it works to my satisfaction.

My current CPU temp fluctuates from 46 Celsius to 56 or so Celsius with no major loads applied.  The highest that my CPU temp has ever been is 80 Celsius.

So my advice would be...forget about the stated max operating range for the 8350...use whatever cooler you like or have...and don't worry about it.  If you start to have problems, you will know it and then you can change the cooler as the main scapegoat.

I think of it this way...neither AMD nor Intel...is about to furnish stock coolers which are inadequate or incapable of doing what they are supposed to do, under normal circumstances.  By all means, replace the cooler if such will make you sleep better at night or be more proud of your system...but I don't believe it's necessary and, in my world, a working system is a good system :).

Louis

Ok, thank you very much. I have considered liquid cooling as it will also reduce noise. It is so loud at the moment. Perhaps it would be worth replacing all the fans for that, as the ones I have are about 8 years old.

"A lizard in the desert wouldn't eat that." ~Gordon Ramsay

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users