Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft has developed its own Linux.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:30 PM

I mean really folks, First we had Hanna Montana Linux now this.

About - Hannah Montana Linux

Sitting down? Nothing in your mouth?

Microsoft has developed its own Linux distribution. And Azure runs it to do networking.

Redmond's revealed that it's built something called Azure Cloud Switch (ACS), describing it as “a cross-platform modular operating system for data center networking built on Linux” and “our foray into building our own software for running network devices like switches.”

Kamala Subramanian, Redmond's principal architect for Azure Networking, writes that: “At Microsoft, we believe there are many excellent switch hardware platforms available on the market, with healthy competition between many vendors driving innovation, speed increases, and cost reductions.”

(Translation: Microsoft partners, we mean you no harm.)

“However, what the cloud and enterprise networks find challenging is integrating the radically different software running on each different type of switch into a cloud-wide network management platform. Ideally, we would like all the benefits of the features we have implemented and the bugs we have fixed to stay with us, even as we ride the tide of newer switch hardware innovation.”

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/18/microsoft_has_developed_its_own_linux_repeat_microsoft_has_developed_its_own_linux/

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:52 PM

this is what MS does... write software. New productivity software suites, new more bloated versions of existing software, new languages that are "their take" on existing langages (e.g. C#), and new OS's. They employ lots of coders

#3 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 495 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:44 AM

this is what MS does... write software. New productivity software suites, new more bloated versions of existing software, new languages that are "their take" on existing langages (e.g. C#), and new OS's. They employ lots of coders

And they utilize lots and lots of testers, but they call them users.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:41 AM

And they utilize lots and lots of testers, but they call them users.

I have never heard anything more true. Who needs to employ testers when you have masses of users to do your testing for you, for free!

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#5 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 495 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:13 AM

Or in reality, "pay you" to be a tester!

Every piece of software has bugs;  that's a given.  The severity, number of them and the response to fixing them is what counts.

"It's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature"

#6 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 19 September 2015 - 12:56 AM

After seeing how MSFT messed up Win10, I don't even want to think about its version of Linux.  Of all the distros, I've always found Debian the buggiest, even when supposedly 'stable': I've never gotten a Debian distro to run. But Win10 is so buggy for so many, were it a Linux distro, it wouldn't even be in Beta.

So a proprietary Linux by MS, no.  Just no.  Someone else will come up with one, and I'm hoping it will be IBM or Dell, but maybe even HP. Doesn't even have to be proprietary, DOES have to have support.  The market will thrive and buy if it has support, meaning COMMERCIAL support by a big house.

Edited by brainout, 19 September 2015 - 12:57 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#7 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 495 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 05:21 AM

The most interesting bit about a "MS-Linux" is licensing.  GPL requires changes be made available (a few court cases around the world have upheld this), so how would MS deal with that?

#8 Tenis

Tenis

Bleepin' FX

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 19 September 2015 - 05:23 AM

MS finally admit Linux is better than them :P

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 19 September 2015 - 05:33 AM

And nobody comments on the Hanna Montana distro, Why ?

Microsoft is admitting what we have known for years, Yes Linux is better.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#10 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:15 AM

Easy to get around.  The GNU terms say free only if freely used.  So if not freely used, then not free.  So then paid.  Everyone has a price.

To me, the price or even the proprietary nature of its version of Linux is not the issue.  The issue, is competence.  At this point, I see none.

The most interesting bit about a "MS-Linux" is licensing.  GPL requires changes be made available (a few court cases around the world have upheld this), so how would MS deal with that?

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#11 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:34 PM

Our brains probably just can't get around the fact that some one made a Hannah Montana distro.... it probably comes with a ball and chain.  :lmao:

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#12 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2015 - 12:21 AM

Your post was perfect, who can say anything more?  :clapping:

Microsoft is admitting what we have known for years, Yes Linux is better.

Our brains probably just can't get around the fact that some one made a Hannah Montana distro.... it probably comes with a ball and chain.  :lmao:

Or it's like that Woody Allen movie where his punishment was to go into the cellar with an insurance agent. :bubbles:

Edited by brainout, 20 September 2015 - 12:22 AM.

#13 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 12:02 PM

. . . . Microsoft has developed its own Linux distribution. . . .

Microsoft Linux, right up there with: 

alone together
bitter sweet
civil war
clearly misunderstood
conspicuous absence
deafening silence
devout atheist
dull roar
even odds
exact estimate
found missing
freezer burn
friendly takeover
go ahead and backup
icy hot
impossible solution
jumbo shrimp
lead balloon
loyal opposition
military intelligence
negative growth
original copy
plastic glass
pretty ugly
random order
same difference
steel wool
turn left right here

At least a "Hanna Montana" themed Linux has a use.  I could attract younger users to Linux.  MS-Linux will just scare them away.

Tuppance,

Naught

#14 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:00 PM

Regarding post #4 "Who needs to employ testers when you have masses of users to do your testing for you, for free!"

I would suggest that users of windows 10 are not doing so for "free", when you consider all the data being gathered by windows 10 for selling to advertisers it's less a matter of "have users do the testing for free" and perhaps better described as "have users do the testing and make them "pay" by handing their data to advertisers".

P.S. I'm not sure if this is quite the right place to put this but I thought it should be mentioned. If it's not ok then, moderators, feel free to delete this post and my apologies for making it.

Edited by rp88, 22 September 2015 - 02:01 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#15 FluffyPup

FluffyPup

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 05:09 PM

rp88, I have been thinking the exact same thing.

I have no issue with MSFT using me to make money.

I DO have issues with ME paying for computer to which they now essentially claim as theirs.

Then ME paying for software, which is also theirs. . . I am getting confused, who's is this again?

Makes me feel like I just inherited a couple of older step sisters to pick on me.

I will gladly forward MSFT specification for new computer that they pay for so MSFT can own it and monitor and make money off whatever is done with it.  That sounds like a deal to me.

I see no reason for me to be involved with the financial end of this since it IS all for them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users