Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TP-Link router lan works but wifi doesnt

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 K12RiV

K12RiV

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:36 PM

i recently bought a tp-link archer c7 (ac1750) router but cannot get it setup propperly. when i do set it up i get massive IP config problems like my ethernet and wifi having strange auto configured ips that dont fit in my ip range... and give invalid ip configs in windows
my cable modem has an ip of 192.168.100.1

my the router has an ip of 192.168.0.1 so i tried changing it to 192.168.100.2 so it would be on the same subnet but then when it reboots i cannot connect to it again unless i run the disk tool it came with then my caution icon is gone magically and most of my settings gone too.
when i get my ethernet cable to work i can acess the internet but wifi just says limited so far i do not know what to do to fix this problem. i had to revert to my old router since its works easily.
im pretty sure the DHCP on the router is broken due to the invalid ip configurations i am getting
even at default settings wifi is not accessible but lan cable works fine.​​​
​Subnet should be 255.255.255.0
wan subnet is 255.255.240.0

​idk what to do.
if you need any information just ask.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:50 PM

Is your cable modem also a router? I don't understand why it has an internal IP like that.

It should go cable -> cable modem -> ethernet wire -> router. And then only the router should be accessible by computers on your network; the modem should not be.

If you have a modem with router built in, I guess you should connect your PC directly to the modem and then change the settings on the modem so that it stops acting like a router (especially if it has wifi). Better yet, if this is the case, get your ISP to give you a normal modem, which is probably cheaper too.

#3 K12RiV

K12RiV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:56 PM

Thecable modem does connect to the router but if i type 192.168.100.1 into my browser sometimes i can connect to it and it shows the cisco docis stuff there is a login page but no settings to change so idk but ik that it doesnt have a router capability. i used to have a cable modem router combo but i dont use it since the range sucked and i couldnt turn off the routing part. but this is a normal modem. im pretty sure the problem lies with the new router since myy other one im currently using to access the inter net works just fine.

Edited by K12RiV, 17 September 2015 - 10:56 PM.

#4 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:19 PM

Is the cable modem connected to the router on the WAN port of the router? I guess I would not change the router IP to be on the same subnet as the modem because why would you even want that?

#5 K12RiV

K12RiV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:28 PM

Yes im using  the WAN port so your saying to just leave the ip as its orignal one? im going to test it tomorrow after school becauwse its too late now.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:01 AM

Check the pdf manual http://www.tp-link.com/resources/document/Archer_C7_V1_User_Guide.pdf On a DSL modem to router (WAN port), it should all be set to Auto (Dynamic IP) and or the router would configure the IP address from the ISP modem. With the wireless, use the 2.4 ghz frequency as it is the more common setup as your router may not broadcast simultaneously both.

Tekken

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:34 AM

That IP address is so if you call and they need information on the modem you can go there and give it to them. It has nothing to do with your LAN. So lets forget the 192.168.100.1 address, k?

The only thing you need to worry about is your router. Reset it back to default by pushing in and holding the recessed reset button for about 10 seconds. Then connect it via wire to a PC, open a command prompt, type ipconfig /release, hit Enter then type ipconfig /renew and hit Enter. Type in the default gateway address in a browser, sign in to the router and setup a new admin password and your wireless and wireless security how ever you want them. You're just over thinking a very simple process =)

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#8 K12RiV

K12RiV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 07:03 PM

im still getting wifi has invalid ip config and diagnostics cannot fix it. but i i have my router plugged into my old router i can use wifi correctly.

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:07 PM

Do you have static IPs? Because if everything is on DHCP it shouldn't happen.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#10 K12RiV

K12RiV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:58 PM

i went from a router that used ddwrt to this and i used mac to assign statics but this new one is using DHCP but when i connect its okay but a few seconds later i get the caution icon and i get an auto configuration ipv4 of 192.254.176.253 and my gate way is blank.

trying ipconfig /release gives me an error stating that no operation can be performed on Local Area Connector* 2 while it has its media disconnected an error has occurred while releasing the interface Ethernet: an address has not yet been associated with the network endpoint.

#11 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:31 PM

Did you reset your new router back to factory defaults? There is a recessed button you push and hold for 10 seconds, it is normally near the power plug. If you have not, please do that now.

Are your static IPs all grouped together? Like all under 100? or something like that?

When you reset it, do not plug your modem into it yet, plug a computer into it wired. On that computer release and renew the IP address, if that fails there is something wrong with either the NIC in the computer or the cable or the router. If the computer worked on the old router and you used the same cable then it's the new router. If it does give you a new IP, use the default gateway to get in with whatever the default username and password are. Also make note of the address is it the same network as the old one? 192.168.Y.x, is Y the same number as your old network? If not you need to change that so they match, but when you do you'll need to do the release/renew thing again so you are in the correct network and log back into the router as well. You also need to exclude your static IPs. Look for Starting and Ending address and make sure those numbers do not have your static IPs between them. Then setup wireless and wireless security. Oh and change the default password to get into the router config.

Once you have it setup, unplug its power. If your modem is on unplug it for a few seconds and plug it back in. When the lights are all up like normal plug the cable into the router's WAN port and plug in the router's power. Let the lights settle and see if it all works.

#12 K12RiV

K12RiV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:40 PM

I got it to work it seems My ISP wasn't liking my routers MAC so I cloned my pc on to it and now the wifi and everything is working fine. and the link light on my router is flashing green but with my old router it flashed yellow. all seems to be working,... and its at factory now except I changed the SSID and WPA passphrase. at first I cloned my modems mac to it but then I wasn't getting an ip from my ISP but switching it to my laptops MAC seemed to get it to work. its ip is 192.168.0.1 my old router I had manually set to 192.168.100.2 because my modem was 192.168.100.1 do I have to do the same to my new router or is it fine?

Edited by K12RiV, 18 September 2015 - 09:43 PM.

#13 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 19 September 2015 - 02:57 AM

My ISP wasn't liking my routers MAC so I cloned my pc on to it and now the wifi and everything is working fine

You're good to go. :thumbup2:

Tekken

#14 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 23 September 2015 - 05:16 PM

To reiterate what CaveDweller2 said what you did with your old router was incorrect.  You misunderstand what the ip address of your modem is about.  It is used for the modem's web page access.  It is not part of the routing environment.  In other words your routers wan port would have a ip address like 75.67.68.23 which is a public address.  The wan port got this ip from the ISP's dhcp server.  This ip was passed through the modem.  As far as your router is concerned at the ip level the modem does not exist.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users