Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why doesn't windows notify me about updates?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:33 PM

I am used to windows notifying me in the system tray (and/or popups from the system tray) when there are new updates. But my windows isn't doing that.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:55 PM

It might be that Windows Update is turned off to re-enable it do the following:

Step 1: To turn on the Automatic Updates click "Start" and type "Windows Update" in the search box, then click "Windows Update" in the program list.

Step 2: In the left pane, click "Change Settings"

Step 3: Select the Option you want.

Step 4:

Under "Recommended Updates", select the "Give Me Recommended Updates the Same Way I Receive Important Updates" or "Include Recommended Updates When Downloading, Installing or notifying me about Updates" check box and click "Ok"

#3 sparklestar

sparklestar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:25 PM

It's not turned off, I have it set to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them"

I do not want it to give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates.

Windows update isn't even notifying me about Important updates! It's not notifying me about anything and has been this way for weeks or months.

There is no "Include Recommended Updates When Downloading, Installing or notifying me about Updates" option listed.

I recently checked the box "Show me detailed notifications when new Microsoft software is available" and then clicked OK (so that should also have 're-saved' the "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" which was already that way before, But, windows is still not notifying me about updates, not even Important updates.

#4 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 668 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:45 PM

I am used to windows notifying me in the system tray (and/or popups from the system tray) when there are new updates. But my windows isn't doing that.

LOL .. same problem here, on two W7 laptops. No notifications at all, although both are set on 'notify me about updates but let me choose to install' etc.

So, I went to the Windows update icon in control panel, and manually checked. Guess what ? There were 18 - 20 important updates on each, including some very important malicious software removal tools.

Interesting. What can I infer from this, other than that since that infernal Win 10 icon has lodged itself in my task bar, and since it keeps nagging me to install Win 10 (NEVER !!!), MSFT is using this in some underhanded manner to pretend the Win 10 update icon IS the update required, and hoping you just do that .. (assume some appropriate profanity directed to MSFT here) ..

Edited by jargos, 17 September 2015 - 11:48 PM.

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

#5 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:47 PM

The reason why it isn't showing is because you set it to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" this means you won't get the picture like this one below:

Windows-Update-Restart-Windows-Reminder.

The one you have got selected means you have to do it manually. By checking "Give Me Recommended Updates the Same Way I Receive Important Updates" means that it will automatically download the updates for you and then notifying you if you want to restart your computer, however this doesn't happen immediately. It might take up to a few hours to receive the notification.

#6 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 668 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:58 PM

I don't think so. Prior to the W10 icon being fixated in my taskbar without my knowledge or consent, I ALWAYS got a 'Windows updates are available' message in my taskbar, whenever such updates were available (regardless of whether I had chosen important ones, recommended ones, or whatever). SINCE the W10 thingy, NOTHING !

So I guess I'm going to have to check manually thru the control panel every couple of days.

IMO, this is another ploy by MSFT to get you to install their dreaded W10 spyware !!!

#7 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 12:01 AM

I guess your right I have been fooled by it before I guess MS should get the finger of shame!

#8 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:02 AM

What can I infer from this, other than that since that infernal Win 10 icon has lodged itself in my task bar, and since it keeps nagging me to install Win 10

Simple matter to stop or remove the Win 10 nag:

http://www.7tutorials.com/how-disable-get-windows-10-icon-and-notifications

and or

http://www.howtogeek.com/218856/how-do-you-disable-the-get-windows-10-icon-shown-in-the-notification-tray/

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#9 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 668 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:52 AM

What can I infer from this, other than that since that infernal Win 10 icon has lodged itself in my task bar, and since it keeps nagging me to install Win 10

Simple matter to stop or remove the Win 10 nag:

http://www.7tutorials.com/how-disable-get-windows-10-icon-and-notifications

and or

http://www.howtogeek.com/218856/how-do-you-disable-the-get-windows-10-icon-shown-in-the-notification-tray/

Hi, yes, this has been canvassed in the Win 10 forums I believe. I never had time to bother with it. But thought I'd give it a go now. So I went to your 1st link above, and chose to do the removal permanently, via the control panel, ie, locate then remove the update. And I did it. All well. But I noticed something perculiar which I thought worth reporting here.

1) when I hit 'OK' to confirm removal, my machine subsequently took about 45 seconds to complete the task.

2) when I hit 'shutdown and restart' it went into 'configuring your computer' for about 30 seconds before it shut down.

3) when it restarted, it again went into 'configuring your computer' this time, for about 60 seconds.

.. and all these things, being highly unusual .. highly inordinate for just removing an icon from my task bar. It was more like a sizable install / uninstall.

My point being, WTF WAS GOING ON, AND WHAT HAD MSFT INSTALLED ON MY SYSTEM THAT TOOK THAT LONG TO UN-INSTALL. ???

SHEESH !!! No wonder I hate .. emmm .. intensley dislike MSFT, Google, and the like !

#10 sparklestar

sparklestar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 02:06 AM

Let's please stay on topic though,

CodeSmasha, "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" has for years always notified the user about updates.

IMO, the way it's behaving for me now, at least with regard to notifications, is identical to "Never check for updates".

(The picture you posted won't load for me so I can't be sure what you mean there.)

Never checking should be the manual one. I have it set to "Check for updates...", literally, yet it doesn't check and notify me.

If I leave it on "Check for updates but let me choose...", then why would checking "Give Me Recommended updates same way.." make it automatically download the updates??

All it should do is show me recommended updates with them checked off to install I guess, when I Choose whether to download and install them.

I do not want it to automatically do anything, I want it to notify me the way XP, Vista and Win7 has done for years when you choose this option.

This could be a big problem for a lot of people who are sitting there thinking their windows is up to date because it's not notifying them. There must be a solution to this strange new problem I'm having.

@jargos, I actually don't have the windows 10 icon, I removed/kept that stuff off here. So it's not the windows 10 icon that is causing this.

#11 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 02:41 AM

That's why I hate Microsoft, it's like babysitting an operating system that freezes all the time, doesn't do as your told and just scratches the iceberg. That's why i'm migrating to a mac for the time being.

#12 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 07:23 AM

sparklestar

I have 2 Win 7 PC''s and they both have seen this issue since sometime around the 2nd or 3rd week this past August.

My Desktop PC is a built Win 7 Home Premium OEM machine.  I haven't changed my WU settings in years.  It's set to "Download but let me choose...".

I haven't seen the WU icon in the Tray since mid-August.

I don't have any of the W10 (prep) updates installed and no GWX items present (no services running, no GWX folder, etc.).

My Laptop, a Toshiba Win 7 OEM install, has the same issue. 

#13 sparklestar

sparklestar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 05:08 PM

Wow, I bet all copies of windows 7 have this problem. I just tried to search for a ms thread about it but no luck yet, maybe someone else has smarter search terms?

#14 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:35 PM

I did a little searching as well and didn't see a lot of recent discussions about this.

I found a 3-week old thread over at the Windows 7 forum and posted there.  If there's some replies, I'll link them here.

Thread link : Windows Update Icon Not Appearing in System Tray

#15 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 668 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:32 PM

Having read the most recent post here, and the Win 7 forum linked above, I maintain - MSFT is pulling a 'bait and switch' on Win 7 users. The update icon ceased to appear at around the same time, or shortly after, the W10 icon attached itself.

Bait and switch. I reckon MSFT has done this deliberately, so as to trick the sheeple into mindlessly assuming the W10 icon is now the update icon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users