Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender error 0x80073b01 error

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 gilbert924

gilbert924

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:56 PM

Hello nasdaq advised me to post my issue in this forum.  

I have two issues with my laptop. The computer is running Windows 8.1.

First, I get a Windows Defender error 0x80073b01 error when I try to start Windows defender error when I try to turn on Windows Defender by clicking on the "Turn on Now" button for "Spyware and unwanted software protection" area but when I try to turn on Windows Defender by clicking on "Turn on Now" for the "Virus Protection" section, it opens the "C:/Windows/system32" folder.  

The second issue I have is that Windows Update is not working stating that  it is "Disabled by the System Administrator"  This is a personal computer and my sons account is an Administrator account. 

Thinking this was a virus issue, I started the following thread:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/585858/windows-defender-error-0x80073b01-error/

After trying several things, Boopme referred me to the Virus, Malware Removal section and therefore I posted the issue in this thread:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/590390/windows-defender-error-0x80073b01-error/

nasdaq thinks that someone in this forum may be able to assist.  

Thanks

Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:58 PM

Please run Windows repair All in One

Start at Step # 4

In the repair area , leave all the ticks in the boxes as they are.

This can take a while to run.....get coffee.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 gilbert924

gilbert924
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:29 PM

Started at step 4.  When I started the System File Check A message appeared that indicated:

"Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service."

"Please Restart your computer when system file checker is finished."

Press any Key to Continue...

I'm restarting the computer now, but wanted to check to see if I should Continue with Step 5 or if you wanted me to do something else.

Thanks 

Steve

Edited by gilbert924, 17 September 2015 - 10:29 PM.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:38 PM

just continue..... if it will

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 gilbert924

gilbert924
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:51 PM

Ok running now

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:26 PM

Started at step 4.  When I started the System File Check A message appeared that indicated:

"Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service."

"Please Restart your computer when system file checker is finished."

Press any Key to Continue...

I'm restarting the computer now, but wanted to check to see if I should Continue with Step 5 or if you wanted me to do something else.

Thanks 

Steve

Repair Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service bu typing services.msc to open the Services Manager. Look for Windows Modules Installer or the TrustedInstaller service. Double-click on it and ensure that the Service is Started. If not press the Start button. Its startup type has to be set to Manual, by the way. Open Command Prompt as a administrator and type Sfc  /Scannow command if any file found corrupted and could not be repaired type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth command.

Posted Image

#7 gilbert924

gilbert924
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:37 PM

Condobloke.

The scan finished but no change to either Windows Defender or to Windows update.

Any other ideas?

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 02:43 AM

Reset the TCP/IP stack

.       Press Windows +X.

b.      Click Command prompt (Admin mode)

c.       Type:          ‘netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt’            (copy and paste this)

d.      Press Enter.

e.      Reboot the computer.

Then.....

In Windows 8 and 8.1, open Start screen and type "cmd" - Search pane opens automatically (you can also open Search pane using keyboard shortcut Windows Key+Q). Right-click Command Prompt and click Run as administrator.
trouble10.jpgtrouble11.jpgwin8.runas.jpg

Windows Vista, 7, 8/8.1 and 10 users ....... User Account Control. Click Continue or Yes here.
trouble12.jpg

Now, in the black Command Processor window, type sfc /scannow and press Enter key to run the command.
trouble13.jpg

This will probably take around half an hour or so.

Let me know the result.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#9 gilbert924

gilbert924
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:32 AM

Hello,

I ran the first line of text in the Command Prompt (Admin Mode) and restarted.  The photos you posted did not appear on my screen but what it looked like was that you wanted me to try to run sfc/scannow from the Command Prompt as an Administrator.  When I tried that, a message appeared that indicated. "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service."

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:55 AM

Run services.msc to open the Services Manager. Look for Windows Modules Installer or the TrustedInstaller service. Double-click on it and ensure that the Service is Started. If not press the Start button. Its startup type has to be set to Manual,

OR...

Alternatively, you could open an elevated Command Prompt, type the following and hit Enter.

net start trustedinstaller

start-trusted-installer-service.jpg

Then try and run sfc/scannow again.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#11 gilbert924

gilbert924
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:51 AM

Ran services.msc and neither Windows Module Installer or TrustedInstaller is listed.  There is a process named Windows Installer listed.

Tried running the net start trustedinstaller command from an elevated command prompt and received the following message:

"This Service name is invalid."

I even copied and pasted to make sure I didnt mistype.

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 04:07 PM

I am running out of ideas.....

Have you tried a System Restore at any time ?    or do you have a backup system in place ?

Do you have the Windows DVD, ?

Edited by Condobloke, 18 September 2015 - 04:16 PM.

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users