Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 hosed!!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 vpallari

vpallari

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 06:07 PM

Ill start with a high level list of events and fill in gaps if need be.  Bascially here is the deal.

- I bought an ASUS 15 inch touch screen with windows 8 approx 18 months ago referbed off ebay.

- For the most part it has been running fine since then

- had a situation where i was trying to install some software for my daughter while also doing a million other things. 

- computer crashed mid install and wouldnt boot

- over the next couple days, again, while trying to do a million other things, I rushed through evey trick Ive ever learned (mostly from this site)

- Initially, was a bit perplexed since safemode wouldnt boot...ive never seen that.

- Long story short, I tried evey possible option windows 8 recover would let me try....repari, resintall, dos commands for chkdsk, fsc, koppix.  Esentially NOTHING would complete.

- Lastly, I created a usb reparid disk from microsoft and tried to reinstall windows 8 and, I think, completely hosed the machine.  I cant get ANYHTING other then an f2 BIOs at boot. 

What are my options?  I treid to create a boot to D:\ so that at least I could still knoppix CD, but I couldnt figure that out in the BIOS.

any help is appreciated!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 12:26 AM

a few questions:

is your PC booting to Windows at all ?

do you have Windows installation media (for recovery or re-install) ?

could you furnish exact model # of Acer you have, or a complete description of hardware?

#3 vpallari

vpallari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 12:41 AM

is your PC booting to Windows at all ?

I get this:

"your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart 0xc000021a"  so then it restarts and I get this:

0x0000001 - You"ll need to use the recovery toolds on your installation media.  If you dont have any installation media (like a disc or USB device,) contact your ststem administrator of PC manufacturer.

do you have Windows installation media (for recovery or re-install) ? I have a USB Flash Drive with Windows Recovery generated from here - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-usb-recovery-drive

could you furnish exact model # of Acer you have, or a complete description of hardware? - Asus Q550lf

#4 vpallari

vpallari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:31 AM

So just another update.  I just stumbled through and was to get back into the bios and it recognized my USB as a bootable option (ill have another question on that later).  Anyway, I selected that as my 1st boot option and re-booted.  It took me to the USB recovery console. rather then mess around with repairing (which I have already done a million times) I just went for the advanced re-install.  Im at the point where it is showing all of my partiions.   I saw something about deleting all the partitions, re-formatting the sole partition that is left and then re-installing.  Im well aware that I will loose everything.  Is this advisable?  If so, can someone walk me through that? Im at the point where its asking me where to install windows.  I currently have 7 partions showing - here are the types:1) System  2) Recovery  3) MSR(reserved) 4) Primary 5-7) Recovery.  Please let me know if you have any advice

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 12:38 PM

Did you upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8?

With Windows 8/8.1 you can no longer use the F8 key to boot into Safe Mode at the startup.  Windows 8/8.1 boots too fast to be able to use the F8 key, so it has been deleted in Windows 8 and Windows 10.

Until we can get a few questions answered please don't do anything with this computer.  There may be a simpler way to resolve this.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 vpallari

vpallari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:04 PM

Did you upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8?

With Windows 8/8.1 you can no longer use the F8 key to boot into Safe Mode at the startup.  Windows 8/8.1 boots too fast to be able to use the F8 key, so it has been deleted in Windows 8 and Windows 10.

Until we can get a few questions answered please don't do anything with this computer.  There may be a simpler way to resolve this.

I purchased this laptop with windows 8 on it.   As for safe mode....well----sort of.  Technically, its not "deleted". Just hidden.  There are a number of ways to make it accessible.  I was able to f8 to the typical windows boot menu (black screen, white text, with 7 or 8 options to boot including safemode and safemode with networking.)  after issuing this command from DOS: Bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes

Also - We might be neighbors ;)  Im also in the foothills in NorCal

Edited by vpallari, 18 September 2015 - 01:05 PM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:52 PM

Actually, there are five ways to access Safe Mode.  You can even activate the F8 key to boot into Safe Mode once Windows has started loading.

Open the elevated command prompt and copy and paste the command below, then press Enter.

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

Please note that my post stated that the F8 key could not be used at startup.  This means that you can't press the power button and then immediately start tapping the F8 key until the Advanced Boot Options open.

What part of Northern Ca. are you in?

Edit:  Most people agree that northern Ca. starts in Fresno and goes to the Oregon border, some 600 miles.

Edited by dc3, 18 September 2015 - 02:01 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 vpallari

vpallari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 02:06 PM

I think "bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy" is actually what I used to to allow safemode.  Regardless, i got to a point where nothing would boot...not even safemode.

Im east of sacramento.  anything south of gilroy is socal in my book

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 02:19 PM

Ok, I have a better idea of what you are doing now.  Go ahead and use the recovery partition to reinstall Windows, you have stated that you don't mind the loss of data, so you should be ok.  This will take it back to the condition it came out of the box.  Be prepared for a lot of updates.  Some people have had problems a large amount of updates.  If this is the case with you open the control panel and open Windows updates.  You can set it to download the updates, but will allow you to choose which ones to install and when.

I'm at 3,000 ft elevation off I-80.  You are way south of my location.

#10 vpallari

vpallari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 02:34 PM

which recovery partition, i have 4 of them.  also, should I delete all other partitions?  i was watching a youtube video that said you should delete all partitions and re-format the 1 sole partition before installing

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 02:56 PM

I would suggest just go ahead and run the System Recovery and allow it to delete all of the other partitions.  You would wind up with three partitions after the installation. System Restore, System Reserve, and the C: drive.

System Restore contains the recovery partition, System Reserve the holds the Boot Manager code and the Boot Configuration Database and the startup files required by the BitLockerDrive Encryptionion feature.  The C: drive is usually the drive letter assigned to the partition containing the operating system. 

#12 vpallari

vpallari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2015 - 11:07 AM

I had to put this on hold the last couple of days, but am back at it.  I just was hoping someone could verify this:

I currently have 7 partions showing - here are the types:

1) System 

2) Recovery 

3) MSR(reserved)

4) Primary

5-7) Recovery

If I want a clean install of Windows 8 from USB,

1) Which partitions should I delete

2) Which ones should I format

3) Should I install windows 8 on its own, separate 25 gig partition?  I currently have 1tb drive

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2015 - 11:46 AM

If you are going to use the recovery partition to reinstall the operating system you don't need to do anything with these.  The reinstall will replace all of these except the recovery partition.

As I understand it, when you use the recovery partition to reinstall the operating system there isn't an option to add a second partition.  So you would need to use a program like G-Parted to create another partition after the installation.  You can find a tutorial for the use of this program here.

#14 vpallari

vpallari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 12:06 AM

So, as it turns out, the hard drive is hosed.  I banged at this thing from every angle....I even got it up and running and upgraded to windows 10, believe it or not.  However, within an hour windows was chugging again and complaining about HD failures.  things quickly went back to where they started.   Not able to boot, repaire mode was inconsistant, recovery off the usb was iffy.  I created a new Windows 10 recovery on for the USB, tried to do a clean install.  I deleted all the partitions wih the exception of the MRS partition.  When I tried to reinstall windows basically said no because the disk is bad.

Any suggestions on replacing the harddrive?  My biggest concern is the lack of windows product key.  its stored in the bios, but after I upgraded to windows and tired to reinstall it asked for it.  there was a "remind me later" link that got me past, but Im hoping that I didnt hose that when i deleted the partitions.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 08:05 AM

As far as the product key, if you install the exact same version of Windows (Windows 8/8.1 32-bit or 64-bit) your embedded key will be recognized.

From what you posted earlier it looks like this is a laptop.  This means you will want a 2.5 HDD or SSD.  If you post the make and model I can make specific suggestions for a replacement drive.

I will be gone till early after noon PST.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users