Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow internet after troubleshooting dropping wifi connection

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Wist

Wist

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 05:39 PM

Initially windows 10 was running fine until suddenly (I'm using Chrome) errors such as "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET" started occurring, while periodically the wifi kept disconnecting . After searching for and following some solutions this issue was fixed however now the internet is very slow. Admittedly I'm not technically adept at all however I believe something I changed may have made the wifi slow. I did the following things:

- Cleared chrome's cache

- Changed the DNS to google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (which I am currently using) from the default (IPv4)

- Tried to update network adapter drivers (said there were no new versions when using the 'automatic search')

- Used cmd to run commands such as "ipconfig /flushdns"

- Tried performing a clean boot

- Also followed these instructions (http://wind8apps.com/fix-error-code-dns_probe_finished_no_internet-windows-8-windows-10/ )

- And maybe some other things that I can't remember

On http://www.speedtest.net/ download speed is 0.39mbps. Upload speed is 3.75mbps. Ping is 8ms. I use fibre so previously it was very fast.

If this problem can't be resolved I'll just have to go back to windows 8.1, the internet is unbearably slow.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Edited by Wist, 17 September 2015 - 05:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 06:34 PM

You can try resetting your modem [wired] or wirelessor hot spot. You should have a small liitle red button to push but it may be in a hole requireing a straightened paperclip to push. If it has an electrical plug- in unplug the power wait 10 seconds or so and wait for all the lights to come back on.

This will basically reset the modem.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:43 PM

Don't use Windows Update to update driver download latest network card driver from manufacturer website of the network card.

Posted Image

#4 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:40 PM

While that is always sound advice on my computer. If the local pc trouble shooter finds no problems but I still can't get on the internet.

The instructions I posted have always worked for me. Some times you have to refresh the connection from the ISP provider.

First thing my isp helpdesk asks me is to reset or power sycle the modem.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#5 Wist

Wist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:06 AM

Yes, that is what I ended up doing. We called our internet supplier and they reset everything on their end and we reset everything on our end. Now everything is fixed. Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users