Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Transfer Files

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tsquared56

tsquared56

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 05:34 PM

I have a brand new computer I just finished building that I am running Win10 on and an old one running Win7.  I've got about 375 GB of stuff I want to move over - primarily music and pictures.  I've put all of this stuff onto a SeaGate GoFlex 1TB external drive.

When I try to copy the entire 375 GB folder, the transfer stopped after a minute or so and the drive and Windows Explorer both became non-responsive.

When I try to copy any of the folders(I broke the huge 375 GB thing into 5 different folders) piecemail, the same thing happens.

I took the actual hard drive out of my Win7 machine, installed it into the HD cage of my Win10 one, and tried to transfer that way, and the same thing happened.

CHKDSK on the brand new HDD and the External revealed no issues - I didn't run it on the old HDD (though it's running now and it's the only HDD in my old machine, so I don't suspect it is the issue).  Device Manager didn't detect any driver issues on the GoFlex either.

Does anybody have any suggestions?  Is this a Win10 thing?  Do I need to go back to Win7 and try to do the transfer that way?

-Tim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:04 PM

Make sure to run bad sector error checking. 

1. Open Computer by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_47., and then clicking Computer.

2. Right-click the hard disk drive that you want to check, and then click Properties.

3. Click the Tools tab, and then, under Error-checking, click Check Now. 18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_41. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

To perform a thorough disk check, select Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. This scan attempts to find and repair physical errors on the hard disk itself, and it can take much longer to complete.

To check for both file errors and physical errors, select both Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.

4. Click Start.

Depending upon the size of your hard disk, this may take several minutes. For best results, don't use the external drive for any other tasks while it's checking for errors.

Posted Image

#3 tsquared56

tsquared56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:25 PM

I actually think the new HDD may have been DOA and I never realized it.  I have a really old one banging around that I plugged in and Windows detected it instantly.  When I swapped them and went back to the new one, Windows takes forever to boot (I have Windows installed on a SSD) and then it can't find the HDD.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:34 PM

Use "SeaTools for Windows" to view health of the SeaGate external drive also you can repair minor surface errors with "SeaTools for Windows" tool.

Posted Image

#5 tsquared56

tsquared56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:35 PM

Actually that makes no sense because I went through and partitioned it and was trying to move files to it.  :lol:  Fog of war and all that.  So apparently now I've also got an HDD that managed to crap out on me while it was still in its infancy.  

#6 tsquared56

tsquared56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:40 PM

I had run that a day or two ago also, in addition to running chkdsk on it (the SeaGate External).

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:31 PM

I had run that a day or two ago also, in addition to running chkdsk on it (the SeaGate External).

So what was the result of the "SeaTools for Windows" tool have you run Extended test from "SeaTools for Windows" tool.

Posted Image

#8 tsquared56

tsquared56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:09 AM

It wasn't the Seagate.  I put an old HDD in and transferred with no issue.  

The "new" HDD worked for about a day or two and then all of a sudden couldn't be found by Windows or BIOS.  No issues with the old one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users