Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 search bar

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 03:35 PM

Hi all,

Every time I click the “Search the web and Windows” bar (lower left corner), I receive the message “ We can’t connect to web search right now but you can still search your stuff.”

I have run scf/scannow and there are no problems found.  I am connected to the web, and nothing else seems to be having issues.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :thumbup2:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,861 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 06:27 PM

There appears to be plenty of people with the same problem on the 'net, but I am not seeing any real solutions.

If this were happening on my win X computer I would reset it.

Click on the Start thingie.....then search.....type in Reset.....Click on Reset This PC

or....Settings>>> Update and Security>>>> Recovery >>> Reset this PC

Depending on your circumstances, you may choose to either keep your files,,   or remove them.

Be Aware....choosing to remove them deletes them Forever !!

Let me know how you get on.

Having a BACKUP is always a really good idea.... Before you start !!!!!...to an external drive/dvd's/usb....

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:06 PM

Disable or uninstall firewall to see issue will get resolved.

Posted Image

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,861 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:24 PM

Don't leave your firewall disabled for any extended period of time .......ok to test as FreeBooter has advised....but do not leave it disabled.

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:32 AM

Hi guys,

Thanks for the suggestions.  I already tried disabling my firewall, and then I totally disabled my Emsisoft Security Suite while testing.  Same thing.  And yes, it does appear many people are having the same issue, so for now I will assume it is a Microsoft bug.  

It doesn’t bother me enough to go through the reset procedure right now, but I do have a full image of my system both prior to, and after, the upgrade.

Thanks again guys.   :)

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,861 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:58 AM

You're Welcome !

Good that you have backups !!

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 06:56 AM

Simple question: are you currently using a Microsoft account or a local one?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 07:21 AM

Hey Aura,

Simple answer:  Microsoft.  :thumbup2:

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 07:31 AM

Alright, try this.

zImGw67.pngWindows Repair All-In-One
NOTE: Before following to step below, please disable your Antivirus software or any other real-time security software that you have enabled.
  • Boot in Safe Mode with Networking;
  • Download the portable version of Windows Repair All-In-One;
  • Move the file (archive) on your Desktop, and extract it there;
  • Go in the tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio folder, then Tweaking.com - Windows Repair folder, right-click on Repair_Windows.exe and select Run as Administrator;
  • From there, click on the Next button until you are presented with an Open Repairs button and click on it;
  • Let the Registry back up complete, and move on to the check-list window;
  • Click on the Unselect All button at the bottom, then check the following items:
    • Reset Service Permissions;
    • Repair Important Windows Services;
    • Set Windows Services To Default Startup;
  • Once done, click on the Start Repairs button and let the scan execute;
  • If you are being prompted with a Security Warning, allow it to go through;
  • Once the repair is complete, it'll ask you to restart your computer, please do it;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#10 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:08 AM

Hey Aura,

I finished all the steps you outlined.  As you can see in the screen shot . . . no change.

Thanks for the help.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users