Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Linksys Behavior - They Hate "3"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BeckoningChasm

BeckoningChasm

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 03:02 PM

I think this is the right department to post this; if not, feel free to move.

I was setting up four Linksys wireless routers (N900 EA4500) for a client.  The routers were to go into four different stores, in four different cities, and they were to be given IP address like so:  192.168.1.75, 192.168.2.75, 192.168.3.75 and 192.168.4.75.  

Three of the four were set up without any problems.  Changed the SSID names, changed the router passwords, changed the security (WPA2) and the SSID passwords, assigned the proper IP address and turned off DHCP. 

The fourth one (192.168.3.75) would not allow me to use the number 3 in the third octet.  No matter what I tried, it would give me the message "IP address is invalid."  I tried resetting to factory, no change.  It would allow me to use the number 5, however.  I set it to 2 and tried the next router.  It ALSO wouldn't allow me to use 3.  I tried three of the four routers and NONE of them would allow me to use the number 3.

I should note that none of the routers were live on a network--it was just the router connected via ethernet to my laptop.  So there wouldn't have been a conflict with anything existing.

I assume this is some kind of bug in the router software, but I wonder if anyone has encountered anything like this?  If so, how did you resolve it?   We'll probably solve it by getting a different brand (or model).

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 03:59 PM

See if there isn't a manufacturers firmware upgrade for these units that address this issue.

#3 BeckoningChasm

BeckoningChasm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:07 PM

That's kind of what I was thinking too.  The strangeness of the behavior threw me.

The only other thing I can think of is that there might be a business nearby using the "3" octet, but that seems unlikely.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:50 PM

Your lan subnet is not affected by anyone else's lan subnet.

You could try using 11,12,13,ect instead

Edited by Wand3r3r, 18 September 2015 - 05:53 PM.

#5 BeckoningChasm

BeckoningChasm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 06:38 PM

I was thinking that if a nearby business had a wireless network that was 192.168.3.x, and they had something on 75, that might interfere...but then I'd have to be connected to them somehow. 

And any other number worked fine in the 3rd octet, it's just that the IP scheme for that branch office was 3, and we wanted to keep it on the same circuit. 

As you mention, probably a bug in the software.  I don't have the unit, the boss took it to try and get it to work.  It was just such an odd thing that had no logical reason to work like that (other than software issues).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users