Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

won't boot unless BIOS Legacy Support is enabled

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jfirthsouth

jfirthsouth

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 02:12 PM

I bought a brand new HP Pavillion 17G053US from Office Depot.
It came with OEM installed win 8.

I did a fresh install of win 8.1 pro x64.
I had to do this with Legacy Support enabled, and secure boot disabled.
I used an 8 GB USB 2.0 stick for the install, the win 8.1 iso image was applied using rufus 2.3.

During the install, I reformatted the HD, removing all the OEM partitions.
I also used diskpart to convert the format of the HD from GPT to MBR.

The installation seems successful, except for a strange WLAN issue (extremely limited range despite loading the drivers).
I would also like to boot in UEFI to benefit from the faster start up times, etc.

BUT if I change the BIOS config by disabling legacy support, then it will no longer boot from HD.
The resulting error message says something to the effect of "please install an OS on the HD"

I suspected that perhaps this may be due to my converting the HD format from GPT to MBR,so I converted back to GPT, reinstalled, and still, must boot with Legacy support enabled....

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 02:26 PM

Hi jfirthsouth :)

What are the options you used on RUFUS to create your bootable USB?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,419 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 02:34 PM

Were you still in Legacy mode when you changed from MBR to GPT and reinstalled? If so, I believe you need to change to UEFI before installing 8.1.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 03:00 PM

If so, I believe you need to change to UEFI before installing 8.1.

This. You need to prepare your USB the right way, in order to install Windows 8.1 while having UEFI and Secure Boot enabled (on top of installing it on a GPT drive).

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 jfirthsouth

jfirthsouth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:14 AM

Hi Aura,

I cannot recall the settings exactly, that I used in Rufus, though I beleive that they were all defaults. I followed the instructions from a particular post, I will search for it and if I find it I will update with the exact settings that I used. Or, if you would advise the exact settings to use, I will reformat the USB and follow your suggested rufus settings. I will be keeping a detailed log from here on, so that I won't be so vague in the future.

Hi John C_21,

Yes, I was in (Legacy Suppport Enabled) mode while I converted the HD format back to GPT and reinstalled. Up until that point, I had not been able to boot from anything (including DVD, USB, or HD) while Legacy Support was disabled, hence was unable to install in UEFI mode.

However, after the most recent installation (which I used a perfectly clean iso image and installed from DVD in Legacy mode), I am now able to boot from DVD while in UEFI mode. But still not USB while in UEFI mode (perhaps because the USB stick is 2.0?),

So Aura, perhaps I won't need the rufus settings just yet.

I will now reinstall from DVD, while in UEFI mode and see if that solves it, and will update this thread when I get the result. Thanks both of you very much for your help.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:16 AM

Alright, let us know how it goes :)

unite_blue.png

#7 jfirthsouth

jfirthsouth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:07 AM

I reinstalled from DVD with BIOS set to Legacy Support Disabled, and now I am able to boot from HD in UEFI mode as well.

So it seems that the original issue may have been solved, but I am still concerned...

Aura, you'd suggested that I should install while Secure Boot Enabled. The install was done with Secure Boot Disabled. I did Enable Secure Boot to test whether or not I could still boot from HD/OS, and it does. Should I attempt to reinstall again, this time with Secure Boot enabled? I really know nothing about Secure Boot, so am unaware of any potential problems or benefits.

Thanks

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:16 AM

If you are able to boot normally even with Secure Boot enabled, then you don't need to reinstall Windows, you'll be fine like that :)

unite_blue.png

#9 jfirthsouth

jfirthsouth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:31 AM

OK great. I still want to make a USB stick for any future installs/reinstalls.

Could you please tell me the settings you recommend?

I have an 8 GB USB 2.0.

Thanks

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:44 AM

You want the settings to install Windows 8/8.1 on a GPT partitionned drive, with UEFI and Secure Boot enabled, right?

unite_blue.png

#11 jfirthsouth

jfirthsouth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 12:29 PM

yes please

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 12:35 PM

Alright, I'll post a screenshot when I get home. It seems that I need a USB plugged in and my version of Windows at work is in French. Back home I run Windows 10 Pro English so I'll take a screenshot there.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users