Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Studying computers in general

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 12:29 PM

OK I am going to admit to something a lot of members in some forums will find hard to believe.

I hold the MCSE Win.2000 certs as well as A+ N+ Sec+ certifications from long ago and they are mostly useless or next to useless now. Technology has grown in leaps and bounds LOL

One thing to consider is are you going to be able to find a job in your field of study locally if you are unwilling to move often long distances.

I started out my studies concentrateing on hardware mainly A+. Before I even finished local hardware positions had been filled or the companies had gone out of buisness. I finished the courses because they were allready paid for but never actually used them much.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 04:46 PM

I'm not a fan of certification.  I hold about a dozen of them, none of them current, like you.  I've got A+, Network+, Networking Essentials, Windows 2000 (workstation and server), a half dozen HP printers.

That said, certifications are something the employers for in a job candidate.  Once you're working in the field the only reason to keep your certifications up to date is if they are required by your employer or if you're looking for a new job.  The information you need to know for a certification exam bares little resemblance to what you need to know to do the job.

Even though you have older certifications, they aren't totally useless.  The information you needed to pass those certifications is a good foundation to build upon.  The more you know, the easier it is to pick up new things as they probably relate to something you already know.  If you took your CompTIA exams before they required re-certification you can still put them on your resume.  For the Windows exams you put that you are a Microsoft MCP.

These days I bone up on hardware before I build my machine and only pay peripheral attention to it in the three to five years between builds.  I don't have a need to keep up to date on the latest and greatest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users