Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

clean install of windows 7

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Howardtheduck316

Howardtheduck316

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 12:22 PM

Hello,

Thank you for reading and helping. I have a HP G72-250us laptop. I upgraded to windows 10 and about a month later my HDD failed. I have purchased and installed a new HDD but I need to reinstall windows 7 home premium (don't want to go back to 10 yet), and like a big dummie I can't find my original recovery disc. I have a valid key. Where can I find a ISO? Microsoft will not help because it was installed by HP and HP said I am outside of my 1 year warranty and want to charge me for a new copy/support. I also don't know if I had 32 or 64 bit. I do have a dell windows 7 professional-64bit disc (from my work computer) will that work?

Thank you again, let me know if you need any more info I left out. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 12:30 PM

Hi Howard :)

There's only two legal ways to obtain Windows .iso: via the Microsoft Software Recovery Center website, which requires a Windows retail product key to get the .iso you need and by contacting your laptop/computer manufacturer and request an installation or recovery media (depends which one is applicable). This being said, any other method of obtaining a Windows 7 .iso is not legal and cannot be discussed nor proposed here. Right now, your product key is an OEM one so you'll have to contact HP for a new installation media and if you're out of your warranty, you'll have to pay.

Sorry.

On a side note, you cannot use a Windows 7 Professional CD to install Windows 7 Home Premium. You really need an installation media for the version and edition of Windows that you need. Also I'm pretty sure you had Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on that laptop based on the specs.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 02:10 PM

Right now, your product key is an OEM one so you'll have to contact HP for a new installation media and if you're out of your warranty, you'll have to pay.

I'm pretty sure the last time I ordered recovery software from HP it was less than $20 U.S. That computer was also out of warranty. Quite reasonable & their shipping was fast.

Edited by saw101, 17 September 2015 - 03:39 PM.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 02:22 PM

**Software license agreements MUST be obeyed!! IF no transfer, if no move, is allowed, then absolutely NO transfer or moving is allowed, period, end of story. Many modern-day software licenses do NOT allow any transfer or moving, read completely before attempting said transfer or moving!**

"...I do have a dell windows 7 professional-64bit disc (from my work computer) will that work?..."
The only legal way you can use that specific CD/DVD is to completely remove that Windows from your work computer, new-install said Windows on your home computer, reImburse your company for that Windows, call Microsoft and convince them you did all the above. Now, if the company DVD is an OEM, it's all over, 'cause that Windows is married to that work computer.
I mentioned the above because I was able to receive several computer programs from my dad's company, only after they completely removed said software from their work computers, signed such over to me, I was able to convince manufacturers the licenses indeed transferred, moved, from company to person.

**Software license agreements MUST be obeyed!! IF no transfer, if no move, is allowed, then absolutely NO transfer or moving is allowed, period, end of story. Many modern-day software licenses do NOT allow any transfer or moving, read completely before attempting said transfer or moving!**

Edited by RolandJS, 17 September 2015 - 02:25 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 Howardtheduck316

Howardtheduck316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:33 PM

Good news found the recovery discs! But now I can't get windows update to work. It just stays on "checking for updates". I have tried everything I know how to do and used the fix it tool. The weird thing my work computer does the same thing. Is it something with windows 10 being out?

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:35 PM

If you just refreshed your Windows installation, it can take a while for Windows Updates to find, download and install your Windows Updates. You have around 300 of them in Windows 7 after all.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,238 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:47 PM

Life is easier if you turn off auto update, then check for up dates and install in small batches.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users