Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to remove windows.old

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 n3m37h

n3m37h

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:21 AM

First off I just figured this out while doing other stuff within windows 10 and did not create anything
Download and run this registry file (as admin).  It enables "Take ownership" of files from the right click menu
Go to your main drive, right click the windows.old folder and  take ownership of it (takes quite some time even on an SSD)

Enjoy the extra 15+gb more room

Where I found this ----> HERE

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,662 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:34 AM

You can delete the windows.old folder using the Windows Disk Cleanup (cleanmgr.exe), easier if you ask me.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows7/how-do-i-remove-the-windows-old-folder

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 12:03 PM

Warning! Please read this first.
Removing the Windows.old folder after the Window 10 Upgrade will prevent Uninstalling Windows 10 and reverting to the previous Windows 7/8.1

How to Uninstall Windows 10 and Downgrade to Windows 7 or 8.1

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 n3m37h

n3m37h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 12:19 PM

Touche, Your arguement against W10 is strong ;)
I do belive W10 deletes the folder within a month anyways

#5 n3m37h

n3m37h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 12:23 PM

I had a storage HDD that wasn't letting me do anything on it but view it  Happened after the install of W10
Used this and presto works again

You can delete the windows.old folder using the Windows Disk Cleanup (cleanmgr.exe), easier if you ask me.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows7/how-do-i-remove-the-windows-old-folder

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,662 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 12:24 PM

You can use Disk Cleanup on that drive as well.

I do belive W10 deletes the folder within a month anyways

And yes it does. Some people even report that the windows.old folder gets deleted after 28 days, not 30.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users