Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant See Desktop Icons

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 oswald

oswald

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 06:48 AM

hello,
i use windows xp and a compaq laptop. i've been downloading programmes some of which may have been unsecure. i use norton antivirus and adaware se but i didn't quite take the time to update. then norton antivirus started to pop up a window, which i didn't pay much attention, saying that i have a trojan in taskmanager and it cannot be repaired. i'm sorry i don't remember the exact words. it kept popping up several times in a row although i kept hitting enter. after a while the turn off button on start menu disappeared. i'm ashamed to confess that i didn't pay attention to that either. i continued to turn off by using log off button. A windows alert saying that i have low disk space started to pop up and i moved all my files & folders to another hard disk but it contiued. and lastly while i was defragmenting computer shut itself down and when i started again there was no desktop icons. i can move the cursor but nothing to click on no right click function. i tried to open in safe mode but again no icons and no right click function. i can't do anything i can't reach anything in my computer. i know i couldn't quite give the information you request but noone has the remotest idea! please help me,
thanx,
oswald.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 07:45 AM

Have you tried using any of the online scanners? If not, do this:

Perform these online Virus scans:
[Watch the Address bar in IE. You may receive alerts that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Install ActiveX component.]
Trend Micro Housecall Scan
Panda ActiveScan

Since you indicate a trojan was found on your system, then download and scan with Ewido Anti-Spyware v4.0 in "SAFE MODE".
Print out the Ewido Install and Scan Instructions.

Also update you Ad-aware definitions and perform another scan while in safe mode.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 oswald

oswald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2006 - 07:57 AM

hello again,
there's no icons so i cannot open explorer or anything else, i just see plain wallpaper that's all.
so i cannot perform any online scans etc.
what should i do?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,754 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:42 AM

Can you use Task Manager to start IE as a new task?

Use your mouse to right click an open area in the task bar. In the context list that popups up, select task manager. If that does not work Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys simultaneously to open the Task Manager or go to Start > Run and copy/paste or type: taskmgr

When Task Manager opens, select "New Task" at the bottom of the Applications Tab, browse to C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer, double-click on iexplore.exe and then press "OK" to launch.

More info on Task Manager in Windows XP.

#5 oswald

oswald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2006 - 05:23 AM

hey there, thanx for taking your time to reply.

i dont have task bar and ctrl+alt+delete doesnt work on normal mode. so i tried on safe mode, it worked but none of the buttons at the bottom of applications tab worked. so i opened processes and double clicked iexplore.exe there and after a long while a window opened but closed itself before it showed anything. i tried it several times and everytime it closed itself. what do i do now?

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,754 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:39 AM

Its time to have a deeper look as to what's going on with your system by creating a hijackthis log. This will help us to identify and remove any malware files that may be responsible for your problems.

Please read and follow all instructions in the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log". When you have done that, post a log in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis Forum, not here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post the log along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. Please include the top portion of the HijackThis log that lists version information. An expert will analyze your log and reply with instructions advising you what to fix.

It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy. Please be patient as they are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have no replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response, a team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

If after 5 days you still have received no response, then post a link to your HJT log here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users