Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop sometimes will not boot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Slaxys

Slaxys

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:45 AM

Laptop Specs: MSI GE60-0N-042US (3 years old), Windows 7 Professional, i7-3610QM, GTX 660M

So I must admit, this problem is a bit peculiar.  I'm having recurring cases of my laptop not being able to boot (i.e. nothing happens when I press the power button).  Yes I'm sure the battery is charged and plugged.  I'm also sure power is being delivered to my laptop as the LED indicator for the battery being charged is illuminated.  I've tried removing the battery and holding down the power for 30s-1min to reset BIOS and also removing and reinserting the RAM.  What is peculiar about this problem is that each time this happens, if I leave my laptop plugged in overnight, the next morning when I press the power button, it turns on the first try as if nothing was wrong.  To me, nothing has changed, I haven't moved my laptop at all.  Afterwards, if I put the laptop on hibernate or completely shut off, I can turn on my laptop again no problem with the power button.  However, if I then bring my laptop from my home to my office, my laptop cannot boot again.  

A new behaviour happened this afternoon.  Earlier this afternoon the laptop randomly powered on when plugged in without me touching it.  However, the screen was off no matter what I did.  I did notice the fan exhaust was particularly hot though.  I was able to force the laptop to shut down by holding down the power button, but after a couple minutes it turned on again by itself with the display off.  This repeated several times until I unplugged the battery and ac power.  After replugging the laptop, the problem stopped happening, but the laptop still would not turn on when pressing the power button.  A couple hours later, pressing the power button turned on the laptop and everything worked fine.  

During the time it worked, here is a list of scans/tools that I used.  Avira Free Antivirus with no detections, SUPERAntiSpyware with the typical website tracking objects (around ~300 since it was a while since I last scanned) which I removed, and Comodo Antivirus scan with no detections.  

Can anyone enlighten me on what's going on? Do you think this is a hardware or software problem?  I have an inkling it is a hardware problem, since my experience with software issues still would let me power on the laptop.  Maybe after 3 years the parts of my laptop are starting to fail,   It just seems really weird that the problem seems to disappear after a night and with nothing changed.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 17 September 2015 - 12:04 PM.
moved from Am I Infected to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:37 PM

Laptop manufacturer and model?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users