Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windoz7 to Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wmn1

wmn1

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:32 AM

Can I replace windoz7 in my laptop with Windows XP. home or pro.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:54 AM

You certainly can - but why would you want to replace a working OS with one that is unsupported?

#3 wmn1

wmn1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:45 AM

You really don't want my honest answer to THAT question.Here is what I have......1 Dell Optiplex GX620 desktop with Windows XP Pro
 1 Compaq CQ61-410US notebook with windoz7. They both function but the XP is far more agreeable for me. Faster, easier for me to use, larger screen, accustomed to it's keyboard, and access. XP I BEILEVE, a far superior OS. If and when XP fails me I will go to Apple.
The Compaq notebook with 7 is I believe 64 bit. The Dell XP is 32 bit. I have every restore disk(s) from Windows 95  thru windoz 7. both have SATA drives.
If you want a workup on the computers, I can send a "Belarc" report on them That's pretty extensive.
Compaq has made getting to the Bios a real project so I MUST be certain, that how this transfer is done does not leave me holding a totally useless notebook.
Thank you,
Bill Noyes

Edited by wmn1, 17 September 2015 - 11:23 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:28 AM

Well...do you have a valid license...and an install disk...for XP?

The licenses for the two systems you mention...are not transferable and cannot be used on any system other than the ones on which they were initially installed.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 September 2015 - 11:29 AM.

#5 wmn1

wmn1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 12:52 PM

Louis, They are reinstall disks and I do have the the licenses.I realize that many believe windoz7 is wonderful. Great for them.   BUT, I have had windoz 7 for 3+ years and have had more OS problems and virus attacks than Windows 95-98-ME, ever gave me. Finally I got a used Dell GX620 desktop w/XP pro. No problems!

Question: Why does it cost more for a retail CD of XP than ANY OTHER OS ever made.?
Answer: Because it IS the #1 OS in the world and will be as long as MS continues it's ways.

Edited by wmn1, 17 September 2015 - 04:36 PM.

#6 wmn1

wmn1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 04:35 PM

Louis, One of the XP Home CDs is NOT a re-installation CD and I still have the license.
Why should Microsoft care if I prefer an obsolete Microsoft OS, I have paid for them all! PLUS I have all the CD/ Microsoft Service packs, 2 and 3.
 I have been told from other forums that ALL windoz7 OSes came with XP Drivers. So even re-installation CDs can be used, Explain?
 And even on THIS forum I'm told it CAN be done. WHO /WHAT am I to believe?
I would say, Only those that have had success in doing so, need reply. Make sense?
One can purchase lots of notebooks that have XP or XP Pro,. I know how little My notebook has been used, why would I need to purchase another?
wmn1

Edited by wmn1, 17 September 2015 - 04:37 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:54 AM

Microsoft...is a business entity.

I suggest you read the terms governing ANY use of the software...which they license to the public for use.

If you wish to engage in a valid discussion with Microsoft reps concerning their policiens, EULAs, terms of agreement, etc...I suggest that you contact authorized reps of MS.  I'm sure that they can willfully answer any questions you pose...and eliminate any possible confusion...about just what is represented when they license a product for use.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users