Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows doesn't start programs

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 FlorianK

FlorianK

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:37 AM

Hello,

I hope I'm in the right subforum here.

I have a Windows 7-system that has strange problems.

At first, Windows wouldn't load. After logon the screen goes black and all I see is the mouse pointer. Taskmanager does open, but tasks like msconfig or regedit won't start.

At first it wasn't possible to end explorer.exe and restart it, but after a while and numerous scans I can restart explorer, so the desktop will appear.

But then, allmost no programs can be started. Firefox will start, but won't show a webpage (hangs after you entered a site). McAfee does start if you click it, but "shutdown realtime scanner" doesn't respond.

regedit and msconfig won't start. Taskmanager does respond, but will hang if you click 'Show processes of all users'.

'Software' will open, but if you try to remove something (in this case some Lenovo-crap), it will hang.

What did I try?

In safe mode:

- sfc --> Doesn't find integrity problems

- aswMBR --> tried this often, crashes during the scan.

- msconfig --> prevented all the non-microsoft services to start

- MBAM --> Didn't find anything

- Emisoft Emergency Kit --> Found registry string  'Disable registrytools' and deleted that

- JRT --> Some services, not much

- TDSSkiller --> Nope.

- delfix --> reset system settings

- Combofix --> I know I shouldn't use this unless it's told me to, but well... I wanted to try.

I'm kind of out of options.

Does anyone has any idea what to try? A complete reinstall is a very last option, because there are a lot of administrative tools installed with difficult settings.

Thank you in forward.

Edited by FlorianK, 17 September 2015 - 08:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:45 AM

I am assuming this is a Lenovo. See if your computer is supported and download the Lenovo Bootable Diagnostic disk. Burn the iso and run the diagnostics to check for any hardware issues first.

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds025448

#3 FlorianK

FlorianK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:38 AM

Thank you for your reaction.

Indeed, it's a Lenovo (thinkcentre desktop pc, i7)

I ran the following tests:

- Motherboard: Passed them all

- PCI-test: Passed

- Memory - Extended test: I skipped the Bit fade test (takes 3 hours), all the others Passed.

I didn't ran the LCD test, because I guess it's not relevant

Edited by FlorianK, 17 September 2015 - 09:39 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:47 AM

Was there a Hard Drive test on the diagnostic test? Did that pass?

Tapping F8 at boot, under Advanced Boot Options select Use Last Known Good Configuration.

Did you try doing a System Restore to a Date before the problem occured? 

Have you tried a chkdsk on the computer? I would not do this unless your data is backed up first.

#5 FlorianK

FlorianK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:59 AM

There was no hdd test on the iso. But HD Tune reported everything is OK.

Also, earlier I have cloned the entire hard disk to a brand new one: Same problem.

Right now I tried "Last known good configuration". Still the same problem: I have to manually stop and start explorer.exe to show me the desktop. And after showing the desktop, starting a program still won't do.

I can't use System restore, because there are no restore points.

Edited by FlorianK, 17 September 2015 - 10:00 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:02 AM

If you look in C:\Windows\System32\config\regback is the date of the registry hives before the problem happened?

#7 FlorianK

FlorianK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:18 AM

The date at "Last modified" is 11-9-2015, 17:32 (Dutch notation: last Friday, September 11). That is the moment these problems started.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:36 AM

I was hoping it would have been a earlier date and time. Then you could copy the hives in the config folder after renaming the originals. Do you have an install disk with the same SP that would let you do a repair install?

#9 FlorianK

FlorianK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:03 AM

Yes, I guessed. Isn't it strange that the date and time of the hives is exactly at the start of the problems?

It kind of makes me wonder what happened at that time..

I have a dvd with Win7 Professional SP1, just like the version on the computer.

If I insert this dvd and choose 'repair your computer', the only options I get are:

- Start up repair (doesn't help)

- System restore (no restore points)

- Recover with a system installation copy (trying to translate it the right way...) But this is a full factory reset, isn't it?

- Windows Memory check

- CMD

Or should I choose 'install' instead of 'repair your computer'?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:08 AM

See this guide on doing a non-destructive install. It may be a good idea to pull the product key with produkey first.  The non-destructive install requires that you be in normal mode first.

https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-7.html

#11 FlorianK

FlorianK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 12:33 PM

In normal mode setup.exe won't launch..

Do you think this could be a driver issue, or some software that is interferring?

Or probably a service that isn't running? I noticed that lots and lots of services have the status 'stopped'.

Edited by FlorianK, 17 September 2015 - 12:36 PM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 12:57 PM

In safe mode open an elevated command prompt. CMD in the search box > Right Click Run As Administrator. Type the following command.

net user administrator /active:yes

reboot and  you should have an Administrator Account available. Login to that and see if you can get setup to run. If not the only thing I can think of is to run Windows All in One Repair. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/

#13 FlorianK

FlorianK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 01:17 PM

In the Administrator account I could see all the processes running (in the other accounts I first had to click 'show processes of all users' and that made Taskmanager hang), so I stopped all the processes that weren't necessary.

When I stopped the process "sqlservr.exe", suddenly the computed worked like a charm.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 01:42 PM

Did you install sql server on the computer? So the computer is now acting normal? You can stop sqlserver.exe from running using the AutoRuns Application. Do a search for sqlserver.exe and uncheck the box next to it. This will disable it but will affect any of your programs that use it.

Are you still planning on doing a repair install?

#15 FlorianK

FlorianK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 02:09 PM

I disabled the service "SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)" at services.msc,

now everything is acting normal. I don't think the repair install is necessary anymore.

Now I just have to repair the sqlserver, because 3 different programs (administrative/accounting software) need it to run.

Thank you very much for your help! Without the Administrator account I would have never found that single process that bugged the entire pc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users