Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting desktop PC to TV

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:32 AM

Hi.

I want to connect my desktop PC to my TV through HDMI. However, when I connect it nothing shows on the TV.

My PC is WIndows 7.

The HDMI cable, TV and PC all work and everything is connected properly.

I went into screen resolution, but it only gives me the option of the monitor and not the TV (I clicked detect to try and find it).

The only thing possibly wrong that I can think of is where the HDMI port is. The VGA monitor port is a bit lower down and a guide I have to the PC says that's where the monitor should be plugged in for the graphics card. However, that's not to say the HDMI port isn't near/connected to the graphics card and it seems stupid to have a HDMI port that is of no use whatsoever if not in the right place.

Is there something I'm missing or can do to get it to work?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 02:38 PM

Whats the model of your computer?

It could be that the motherboard has an onboard video card which is superceded by an additional (more powerful) one.

A picture of the back of your computer would also help.

#3 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 04:57 PM

Whats the model of your computer?

It could be that the motherboard has an onboard video card which is superceded by an additional (more powerful) one.

A picture of the back of your computer would also help.

Cyberpower Gaming Battalion 502 Desktop.

I'd take a photo but it's really awkward to do so and means unplugging everything. Can't find one online so far.

Edit:

http://qubeelectronics.co.uk/cyberpower-gaming-battalion-502-pc.html

Fourth image down, I think that's the same or certainly very similar.

Edited by sn0zb0z, 17 September 2015 - 05:02 PM.

#4 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2015 - 05:06 AM

Is there anything I can to get it to work?

#5 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 05:24 AM

Most likely the hdmi port is for your onboard video, but you are using a video card. So one thing that could get it to work is to take out the video card, but that's probably not desirable.

#6 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:02 PM

Yeah, think I may give up on getting this PC connected with HDMI lol. Thanks for replying.

#7 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:37 PM

Shouldnt be that hard ?............. i run and old XP system and run an add-in vid card .

1/ Cable is DVI connector and other end HDMI.

2/ TV is Panasonic Plasma.( 7 yrs old }

3/ Start PC..

4/ Turn TV on and select from Remote - AV button and tab through Av1 / Av2 / PC / HDMI / Tv.

5/ Select HDMI.

6/ Log on to PC and Configure the screen resolution from the Vid Card app.

7/ Some TVs have settings also within its Menu { Mine Does}.

Its only a signal { Any Signal } that the TV picks up , so it should work.

You could check your Bios and ensure you are using Card Vid and not onboard Vid.

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 12:09 AM

Need a DVI to hdmi cable/adapter methinks

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00Z09EID6?psc=1

As according to cyberpower your MSI graphics card uses DVI so using the motherboard HDMI probably wont work if you are not using onboard graphics.

I linked to amazon.uk as being american I do have the forcive habit of using the american website so took that into account

5 British pounds not too shabby, I'm unsure you can go cheaper but still not too heavy for you I hope.

Its the cable that will be your contention point

but there is this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Rankie%C2%AE-Rated-Speed-Bi-Directional/dp/B00YOSA85Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1443417105&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=dvi+cable

6 British pounds, a bit more money but the result is superior as you dont have to buy a cable you would not need otherwise (a dvi cable is a waste anyhow, HDMI has surpassed it)

The cheapest option is this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PC-Trading%C2%AE-Plated-Female-Adapter/dp/B0062B3Z5S/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1443417938&sr=1-8&keywords=Hdmi+Female+To+Dvi-I

If you have a HDMI cable and just want to plug into your DVI this is a good option

I am giving you some options as I have no idea if you have your cables lined up.

Edited by MadmanRB, 28 September 2015 - 12:27 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#9 bojekki

bojekki

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 29 September 2015 - 10:15 PM

It probably has nothing to do with the PC. Havachat is right. You have to switch to the correct input on the TV. Some TVs require you to also turn HDMI on somewhere in the menus. How about posting what happened. Did anything work ?

Edited by bojekki, 29 September 2015 - 10:15 PM.

#10 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 04:59 PM

I'm using VGA, not DVI. I have no DVI cable and I don't want to buy one (bought so many cables recently!).

My DVI port is up by the HDMI port, not by the VGA port where the graphics card is. So wouldn't I have the same issue?

My TV was on the correct input, that was the first thing I did when I turned the TV on.

What I have done is left my current PC as is, VGA to monitor, and I'm using software rather than hardware requiring the HDMI to be used which was my original plan.

Basically got nothing set up as I planned but after many issues at least I think I have things working now lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users