Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What happens with "Get Windows 10"

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 flobiwan

flobiwan

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 06:52 AM

I just purchased a new computer with Windows 7 Pro on it.  I see the "Get Windows 10" app on the taskbar and i realize that i can upgrade to Windows 10 for free for a year.  I don't want to upgrade right now as it's too new and would like to wait and see how it works out.

Can anyone tell me what exactly happens if i click on the "Get Windows 10" icon?  Does it automatically upgrade the computer or can i download the program to install at a later date?  Ideally, i'd like to download the W10 files and keep them on my computer to install later if i want.

If that can be done and i download the files now, will i be able to install it later for free even if i wait 2 or 3 years or will Windows charge me for it at that point?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:31 AM

Hi flobiwan :)

Can anyone tell me what exactly happens if i click on the "Get Windows 10" icon?

Nothing really will happen. It'll asks you if you want to download the upgrade to Windows 10 in the background, and once it's done it'll notify you. From there, you can decide if you want to upgrade now or later on. To be honest, you don't need the "Get Windows 10" app to upgrade to Windows 10. You can upgrade at any time using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

If that can be done and i download the files now, will i be able to install it later for free even if i wait 2 or 3 years or will Windows charge me for it at that point?

No, you can only upgrade to Windows 10 for free during the first year of the release (until July 29th 2016), after that, if you didn't upgrade, you'll have to pay. Once upgraded, you can reinstall Windows 10 as many times as you want on that device for free however.

Edited by hamluis, 17 September 2015 - 07:41 AM.
Emphasis added - Hamluis.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:32 AM

Windows 10 is available to those who have Windows 7, 8 for free for the first year. After the date 29/07/2016 you will not be able to upgrade. However read the reviews, wait a few weeks and if you are interested then go for it. But don't click it, when you're ready to go right click and click upgrade.

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:01 PM

The GWX system icon and app will not (yet) automatically install windows 10, but they will, it appears download it behind your back, even if you do not want it. You may notice a folder called $Windows.~BT appearing on your C:\ drive, if it does you know that windows 10 is downloading itself to your machine. If you want to upgrade you can let this happen, or there are ways you block it if you don't want to upgrade (by removing certain KB updates which ave been installed in the last few months). You, seemingly wanting to upgrade but not until a later date, can either leave the gwx icon in your system tray and let that automatic downloading occur, or you could remove some update to get rid of it and reinstall those updates at a later time if you want win 10 then.

I strongly advise not upgrading at the moment, as CodeSmasha suggests give it a few weeks (perhaps give it several months) then have a good long think about it. As there is almost a year for those wanting to upgrade to do so, there is no hurry.

Edited by rp88, 18 September 2015 - 01:01 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 flobiwan

flobiwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:29 PM

Yeah, I'm not looking to upgrade for a while.  Especially since i use a lot of old programs.  I don't want to risk them being incompatible with another version of Windows.  However, it would be nice to have the free option down the road if, say 2-3 years from now i decide i want to upgrade.  That's why i was hoping i could just save the files to my HD and then install them later.  So, if i let it download windows 10 and then move that folder to a place on my data drive, i wonder what would happen if i tried to run the setup 3 years from now.  Not the biggest deal in the world as i imagine i'll be able to buy it then for $100 or so.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:34 PM

If you don't upgrade to Windows 10 within the first year of the release, then when you'll upgrade to it (or install it) in 2-3 years, you'll have to pay for it. You can always upgrade to Windows 10, then downgrade back to Windows 7. This will allow you to upgrade back for free in a year (logically, it should).

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:38 PM

I just purchased a new computer with Windows 7 Pro on it.  I see the "Get Windows 10" app on the taskbar and i realize that i can upgrade to Windows 10 for free for a year.  I don't want to upgrade right now as it's too new and would like to wait and see how it works out.

Can anyone tell me what exactly happens if i click on the "Get Windows 10" icon?  Does it automatically upgrade the computer or can i download the program to install at a later date?  Ideally, i'd like to download the W10 files and keep them on my computer to install later if i want.

It offers the ability to download (the installer for) Win10 but, does not auto-install it.  That you do when you choose BUT, to, still, do it for free must be done by 28/7/16.  Since we will ultimately, eventually be on Win10, makes sense to grab for free while you can rather, than staying w/ 7.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users