Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kingtotem

kingtotem

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 06:32 AM

Hi folks I have a problem with XP where it boots up with only the background and no start bar or icons.

So I have a couple of questions;

Is this a known virus or just a result of the out of support product?

Where/what  are the files which control the bar and icon boot?

What should they look like?

If corrupted what would I do? Is there a known fix for this?

Thanks Folks D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:26 AM

Hello, and Welcome to BC

At the blank desktop press Ctrl + Alt + Del. Select File > Run and type explorer.exe > okay. Does this bring your desktop back?

#3 Kester

Kester

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 16 October 2015 - 12:15 PM

If JohnC_21's suggestion brings back the desktop then you may find the problem originated in the number of programs your computer was trying to start during boot-up.  Years ago I had a similar problem although it was erratic in that usually the system booted to the desktop correctly and occasionally it did not - typing 'explorer.exe' in the 'new task. text box in Task Manager (essentially what John suggests), temporarily cured the problem.  Checking the list of programs in 'Startup' and disabling or removing unnecessary ones gave me a permanent solution.  If system resources are over-stretched during booting then the system may fail to open an essential item as was the case with my problem.  Often when one installs programs, unnecessary files are added to the start up list supposedly to save time when you open the program at some stage later - these are easily disabled or removed to make startup more efficient.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users