Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GREAT News from MSFT: new KB3050265 to block Win10 updates!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 04:39 AM

GREAT NEWS for either Win7 or Win8.1 Pro! Way to stop those pesky GWX's!

I was just checking for updates again, since the last 'Update Client' didn't bork my machine, and this update just came in: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3050265

Note the text specifically says (i added the red bolding, but the black bolding is original to the KB),

This update installs a new Group Policy object that enables you to block upgrades to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update.

Microsoft is making Windows 10 available for free for one year from the date of availability to Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 customers for non-Enterprise editions. If you have Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 Pro deployed in your organization, Windows 10 will be offered to you. Computers that have this Group Policy object enabled will never detect, download, or install an upgrade to the latest version of Windows. 

You can configure this Group Policy object by using Group Policy (if the update is installed and if you use the updated WindowsUpdate.admx file by copying the file from where the editing policy is located). You can also do this by going to Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update, double-clicking Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update, and then clicking Enabled.

Honey, I'm downloading it now, especially since all my prior HIDDEN updates are GONE.  Maybe this is why?  Who knows. 

:bowdown:   :dance:   :workout:

Edited by brainout, 17 September 2015 - 04:41 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 05:33 AM

That update is dated from June 2015, it's not new. Doesn't seems to have been reissued either. Also, I just checked in my Windows 7 SP1 Pro x64, I don't have that update installed, but the GPO option is there. Might have been pushed by another update.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 05:45 AM

That is a very old update, but it still might be useful. 

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 05:52 AM

Well, it only appeared today, though I've updated several times since June (four or five times).. and only since End August, all my prior hidden updates are gone.  So I made a video about how to 'obey' it, here and here.  So if it stops the update from downloading, then maybe it's like other updates MSFT has issued, where the number is old but the actual contents are changed?

And why wasn't this reported as a way out, earlier?  By anyone?  Do you know of any other reports?

You see how important this is, right?  All the problems with forced downloads could have been AVOIDED.  So why, if this is really so old, wasn't it REPORTED earlier?  Or was it provided and not actually sent out?  Until now?

Edited by brainout, 17 September 2015 - 05:58 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:10 AM

I see how "important" it is and I've seen it being reported in other threads here. And it was probably not reported in it's own thread because no one noticed it, who knows. Doesn't change the fact that it's an old update and like I said, I don't have it installed on my update and I still have the option in the GPO, and that method have been known for a while now.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 bitesized1612

bitesized1612

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 02:52 PM

Glad it's making the rounds that it's an option.  :thumbsup: GWXUX.exe keep hanging and crashing on me until I couldn't ignore it anymore and playing goalie against Microsoft's attempts to sneak the upgrade past me as important updates was annoying. I have other things to do on my computer, you know?

Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) // HP EliteBook 8460p = 2.50GHz + 8GB RAM 

AVAST! - Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox - LibreOffice - Rainmeter

Currently Testing: Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE on a Dell Inspiron 531 (2.1Ghz +3GB RAM)

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 03:01 PM

Simply uninstall the KB3035583 (if not done already) and you should be good.

unite_blue.png

#8 bitesized1612

bitesized1612

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 04:27 PM

I did, there was a whole list that I uninstalled, but then WinUpdate seemed to have a fit over trying to re-download the upgrade manager thing-y. It's been really quiet since I did the GP method, however.

Edited by bitesized1612, 17 September 2015 - 04:27 PM.

Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) // HP EliteBook 8460p = 2.50GHz + 8GB RAM 

AVAST! - Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox - LibreOffice - Rainmeter

Currently Testing: Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE on a Dell Inspiron 531 (2.1Ghz +3GB RAM)

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 04:50 PM

The upgrade manager? You mean the KB3035583? If it did, even after you hid it it's because Microsoft re-issued it. Re-issued updates appears back in the list despite being hidden.

unite_blue.png

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,061 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:11 PM

Post #8: " WinUpdate seemed to have a fit over trying to re-download..."

When updates are hidden in windows update they sometimes unhide themselves, generally when a new version of the particular kb update is released. When a user needs to make sure a particular update that they have uninstalled does not come back simply hiding the update is not enough, users alos need to put windows update on "check automatically but ask me whether I want to download and install", this way the user can easily make sure to untick unwanted updates from the list every time updates are released on a tuesday. Users doing this should make sure to check windows update every tuesday evening or wednesday morning to make sure they see what updates are on offer, at which point they can pick those to install and those to reject.

This KB3050265 may reduce the hassle for users wanting to keep windows 10 off their systems, but I suggest that users should still continue to have updates on a setting where user approval is needed before download and not rely on this KB3050265 update ALONE.

"GREAT NEWS for either Win7 or Win8.1 Pro!", I'm assuming that this only works for users who have gpedit, therefore this KB3050265 update is of no use to those with preinstalled standard versions of windows 8/8.1?

Edited by rp88, 18 September 2015 - 01:12 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#11 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 02:22 PM

@rp88, post#10, well I didn't know that gpedit.msc was missing on some Windows versions.  The reason I put Win7 and 8.1 Pro in the title, was due to Win10 only being offered to those versions, so far as I knew.  Please correct me if that's not true?

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 02:27 PM

From the KB article.

If you have Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 Pro deployed in your organization, Windows 10 will be offered to you. Computers that have this Group Policy object enabled will never detect, download, or install an upgrade to the latest version of Windows.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users