Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disappeared folder in Mozilla Thunderbird

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Caterpillar-sky

Caterpillar-sky

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 02:47 AM

Hi,

I hope someone could help me. I am using Windows 10 on my Lenovo computer. Yesterday I noticed that one of my very important folder with several subfolders (approximately 14) have disappeared form my Mozilla Thunderbird account. I can not find it in thrash or under deleted folder. I have changed the hidden files settings in my control panel app but I still missing my foder(s).

Please help! Many thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 02:51 AM

G'day Caterpillar-sky, and Welcome to BC.

Have you rebooted since you noticed this ?

Were all your folders present when you upgraded to Win X ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 02:57 AM

And one more question: did you SYNC the Thunderbird folder?  Because if you synched it prior to its 'disappearance', it will be on the server and you can get it back right away.

Finally, did you back up or clone prior to updating to Windows 10?  Is the folder on your backup/clone?

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#4 Caterpillar-sky

Caterpillar-sky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:25 AM

Hi Condobloke & brainout – thanks for your reply.

Well, I don’t have any back up… I think. I haven’t reboot my computer since I have noticed this – but restarted it. I did not sync the Thunderbird folder. I have purchased this computer 3 weeks ago with Windows 8, after I have set up the computer I have been advised that to download Windows 10, so I did. I am still getting familiar with Windows 10. I have installed Windows 10 and after few days later I downloaded Mozilla Thunderbird – which I have used before on my previous computer.

I am a basic computer user, with the level of knowledge how to use and work with computer everyday… not a computer genius sadly…

I would very much appreciate it if you could give me any further help.

Thank you.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 12:38 PM

There are two places where Mozilla Thunderbird places all your folders & files [outside of Program Files (x86)]:
users [user] AppData Local Thunderbird
users [user] AppData Roaming Thunderbird
--- unless someone did a custom install and/or massive realignment
Aim all of your efforts in getting into and recovering the missing folder and its files in those two areas.
As a long time user of both firefox and thunderbird, have learned to maintain and recover when-broken both the browser and the emailer. Tools such as MiniTool Power Data Recovery [and others] can be helpful.

Edited by RolandJS, 17 September 2015 - 01:38 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 04:03 PM

Go to THIS PAGE   

Follow the steps there.

Where it asks you to "Choose folder Properties from the drop down list by clicking  Edit"........just press the alt key once....that will put the edit option up for you.

Edited by Condobloke, 17 September 2015 - 04:04 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 Caterpillar-sky

Caterpillar-sky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 02:01 AM

Hi,

Thank you for the advise, unfortunately my folder is still missing... it seems it has gone forever...

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:51 AM

How long since you updated to windows 10 ?

The reason I am asking ios that all yur old files will be held in a file called    windows.old     for 28 days.

If it is within that time.... I would attempt to run "To automatically retrieve your Files"

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/restore-files-upgrade-windows-old#

Edited by Condobloke, 18 September 2015 - 03:55 AM.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#9 Caterpillar-sky

Caterpillar-sky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:58 AM

Hi - approximately 3 weeks

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 04:30 AM

Click on the link in the above post...then click on To automatically retrieve your Files"      then follow the prompts.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#11 Caterpillar-sky

Caterpillar-sky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 04:10 AM

Hi, Many thanks again for your help. Unfortunately I could not use above advice because this link is for Windows 8. Could you please send me a guidance link to Windows 10? That would be amazing. Thank you!

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 04:24 AM

lol...i apparently have spent too much time in my workshop smelling fuel vapor !!!

This is not looking good......I am unable to find any substantial advice....other than that quite a few people have experienced the same as you, and it appears to be a Microsoft problem rather than a Thunderbird problem.

Perhaps you need to consider a Reset of Windows 10

GcnI1aH.jpg

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:05 AM

Ok, let's try another approach before we give up. What is the name of that missing folder [this is important!]?  Can you access the following two directories:

users [user] AppData Local Thunderbird

users [user] AppData Roaming Thunderbird

If not, then, we will have problems.  If yes, then, there is a chance we can bring back the missing folder -- if it has not been overwritten yet.

Borrowing from Capt Jack Sparrow:  The problem is not the problem.  Our collective approaches up to now -- may be the problem.

Borrowing from an old Charter House commercial: It may be Windows 10's fault, but, it may be only Thunderbird's problem. 

Edited by RolandJS, 19 September 2015 - 08:09 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:10 AM

...by the way, where are your backups?  There just might be an easy fix depending what kind of backups you have made previously, and when.

#15 Caterpillar-sky

Caterpillar-sky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 02:36 PM

Thank you again, perhaps some progress. I can access the two directories you posted above. The name of the folder is " people".

Backup wise....errr...not so much I'm embarrassed to say.

There is the slight possibility that my 1.5 year old son got hold of my tablet and deleted the folder using the gmail app.........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users