Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to get Windows to start.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 woodville

woodville

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 01:34 AM

I have been given a computer running Windows Vista.  Windows wouldn't start when I first tried and I was asked if I wanted to run the Windows Repair Tool.  Unfortunately it was taking hours and I had to turn it off as I had an appointment to go to.

I have tried to run it again but don't get that option - when it starts up I get the option to press DELEETE or TAB.  When I press TAB I get a list of details ending with Master Hard Disc Error - when I press F1 told to reboot and select proper boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and press a key.  I do not have the Windows Disc and also do not know which version of Vista is installed.

If I press DELETE I get the BIOS SETUP UTILITY.

I do have a USB key containing a UBUNTU installation (as well as photo's and music etc) and was wondering whether I could use this to boot up and, hopefully, get into the windows startup to try and find the repair tool.

I know I have beeen the cause of this problem and any assistance would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 03:13 PM

I believe your hard drive is failing or has failed. What is the model of the computer? A dell can access diagnostics by tapping F12 at boot. Hp may be esc or another key that is usually listed at boot.

#3 woodville

woodville
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 12:40 AM

Thanks for your reply John C, it is a Mesh computer. 

#4 AkhostiqTecq

AkhostiqTecq

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:50 AM

Check to see if the hard drive is properly connected..and make sure the data cable is in good condition...

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 07:26 AM

If you don't have another computer to test the hard drive you can create a bootable Parted Magic Disk and use DiskHealth (Gsmartcontrol) on the desktop to do a short and long test. 

#6 woodville

woodville
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 12:53 AM

Thank you for your replies and suggestions but I was hoping to solve this without having to take this computer apart - not that experienced.  A friend is going to lend me a vista disc to see if I can use that to get into the windows system and I will let you know if it works but I won't be seeing her for a few days. 

#7 woodville

woodville
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 02:27 AM

I have tried using the Windows Vista disc but this was not successful.  I also bought a repair disc from Ebay and that didn't work either.

When using the Vista disk I got as far as needing the drivers and although I had a disc these were not recognised.

There is something called Nuke on the ebay disc - which I think would wipe the hard drive so that I could start again and load the Vista programme but I am then worried that the drivers disc won't work.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Is it possible to look and see what is on the drivers disc without installing them or causing any damage to the laptop or computer that I might use?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 07:59 AM

From your first post " Master Hard Disc Error" I would think  your hard drive is failing or failed. You would not be able to install Vista on a failing hard drive. See my post #5. You need to test your hard drive first before continuing. You can burn the iso file to CD in Windows 7 by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image. Boot the Parted Magic Disk and run Disk Health on the desktop.

#9 woodville

woodville
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:06 AM

Thank you JohnC, I have done that but although the hard drive and the DVD drive can be seen - the hard drive is not being recognised and I am not able to use the internet to do a search.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:30 AM

Are you saying you cannot access the internet and therefore cannot download Parted Magic? If you did run Parted Magic and the hard drive is not recognized I would think the drive has failed.

#11 woodville

woodville
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 01:31 PM

I downloaded Parted Magic using my laptop and loaded it on the computer from the DVD.  When it loaded on the computer I think it was loading on the RAM (I think that's correct) but I am not sure what that meant.  I could see 2 drives? - one was the DVD drive and the other had no name - I thought that meant it could not determine the make of the hard drive.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 01:38 PM

Parted Magic does load in RAM. On the Parted Magic Desktop is Diskhealth (GSmartControl). Did you run that? The hard drive would be listed as a serial number with a model name as shown in the below image. 

Can you mount the disk? On the task bar is a hard drive icon. Clicking it will open the mount manager. Click the green mount button next to your hard drive.

main_ok.png

#13 woodville

woodville
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 02:05 PM

I have just got to the screen you are showing.  There are now 3 items there - the 1st listed as unknown model.  2nd one HDT722525DLA380 (that wasn't shown last time).  Third one is the DVD RW AW-G170A.  I cannot enter a tick in Enable Smart or Enable data collection.

I've double clicked the 2nd one and got device information - in IDENTITY it provides details of model etc. and the Overall Health Self-Assessment Test says PASSED.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 02:09 PM

Are there two hard drives on the computer? If GsmartControl cannot identify the hard drive then it has most likely failed. I would make sure sure data and power cables are properly connected. Power down, pull the power cord and hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Remove the side panel and make sure you touch bare metal before making sure the cables are connected.

#15 woodville

woodville
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 02:24 PM

I don't know whether this computer has 2 hard drives but I did take the side off the computer a couple of days ago to check that the cables were securely connected.

I didn't see anything like the mount manager that you mentioned or a green button.  I have got an info box open with headings of Identity; Attributes; Capabilities; Error Log; Self-test Logs; and Perform Tests.  I'm not sure whether to proceed with any of these.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users