Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New2Me Win7 Dell Inspiron laptop Slow & Too much junk?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 Felix Cattus

Felix Cattus

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 16 September 2015 - 11:33 PM

Dear Bleeping Computer,

INTRO

You folks are wonderful. You have helped me ‘learn computers’ and extended the life of my XP’s and NT’s. Thanks.

My queries:

I write because I now have acquired - from the original owner – (although I don’t know him, I believe him) this ‘new to me’ laptop computer. It is a Dell Inspiron Windows 7 Premium Home Edition as follows (from ad, but seems correct):

DELL Inspiron 1545 Laptop - 15.6" - Windows 7 - Pentium Dual Core CPU

Model PP41L

2.30GHz Pentium Dual Core T4500

3GB RAM (2GB/1GB DDR2)

250GB Storage Hard Drive

15.6" HD Widescreen Display (1366 x 768)

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Installation

In summary, given my limited intended uses, I hope to learn what to dump, what to keep, in hopes of more speed and security.

My Main Goals and Concerns

I. Speed, especially when online or running a few programs.

On my Old Dell XP laptop, (which has most of the my still-preferred programs as discussed below), it shows that when no “Applications” are up, running and listed that first “Applications” tab of task manager, (i.e., it’s waiting for me to start doing something); I have it stripped down to where it lists only 18 to 22 memory-using processes running in the background on the later tabs. (I don’t use it online anymore and only add to it by typing or editing text documents on Word Perfect.)

In contrast, however, a review of task manager on this new Dell Windows 7 Inspiron Laptop shows that when ‘nothing’ is displayed as “running” on that first (“Applications”) tab, there are, nevertheless still ~78 memory using processes displayed on that second/third tab.  Thus, it frankly see (likely  is) slower than my old one although this new one has one TWELVE times the RAM as my old Dell XP laptop, which had (256 MB RAM) and only 16 GB hard drive. I feel this new Win7 Dell should run faster and that it, to me,  appears to have too much BS surplusage- type programs, on it, etc.

II. A Significant Concern: Privacy; the simple right to be let alone!

I’ve read repeatedly  - and likewise believe - that most later versions of computers and programs consistently make it easier for snoopers (i.e., “our” supposedly ‘benevolent’ government and its alphabet soup agencies) to keep track on us. I don’t need most of the latest and greatest as I’m mostly a text type person who spends 90% of computer time on text related matters.

I’ve been aware of such long before anyone ever heard of Snowden and am rather confident that those folks keep track of certain folks at a higher level than others. (For example, I imagine that they would try far harder to keep track of me more so than of my grandmother who mostly plays mah jong (sp?) on her computer.)  [I strongly believe in the right to privacy, the right to be left alone, and am disgusted at ‘our’ government’s absurd anti privacy actions hidden – due to its malevolence – behind huge walls of secrecy. If they weren’t doing anything wrong, why would they hide it so? After all, unlike people, the government should NOT have greater rights of privacy EXCEPT in the rare cases of national security, which has been blown all out of proportion. [It’s a sin to have to declare this but I am not doing a d***** thing wrong, etc., and am not hiding anything, in sharp contrast to what ‘our’ government is doing.]

III. My Typical and Intended Useage of my “new to me” Dell Inspiron 64 bit Win7.

I use the web and browsers to research online databases such as court records, mortgages, etc.  I then use my internal programs to analyze that mundane data.  A fair breakout of my time on a computer is:

Online:  35%

Offline: 65%

My Plan re Browsers: I’m leaning towards

I expect to load likely three or four (hopefully) worthwhile browsers, the first presumably being some version of IE. (What version should I have? How many bits?) (Does it make sense to use a lower level of I.E., and/or a 32 bit version of any?)

So I shall probably have one or two versions of IE.

Added to that, I will likely add two to three? Four? more browsers such as:

-      Mozilla Firefox? Safari?

-        Google Chrome,

-        etc.

[As to that “etc.” I am completely open to suggestions here, preferring the fastest, ugliest, lowest RAM using, most dependable of the bunch, that also feeds as little as possible to our sundry “Big Brother” agencies who gather our data ‘for our protection.’

(I know there are all sorts of high tech encryption tools, etc. but I am not Julian Assange, nor intend to learn computers well enough to hide from those who have no right to read or copy my information nor that of  my clients. Thus I simply hope to keep such at a minimum, although I wonder if that is even possible these days. (“Truly Orwellian, the internet has become,” says Yoda.)

C: Other programs I hope to use:

I have only installed onto it MS Office, 2000, (the only disk I could find at present.)

Other programs I hope load onto this new Windows 7, (from online and/or disks I have lying around – when I find them) the following programs:

-A more recent version of MS Office (I’ve got a disk somewhere.)

-Word Perfect (WPD) Suite 8- which works super well with my job. (I’ve got a disk somewhere.)

-The latest version of WPD that still has “Quickfinder”: (WPD 10, I believe -(I’ve got a disk somewhere.)

-The latest version of WPD that I have lying around (WPD 11, 12?) (despite their lack of Quickfinder);

- Adobe Reader (and maybe acrobat);

- Some time keeping program, like Timeslips;

- Quicken or QuickBooks;

Another future plan / possible future question/issue / (FYI if relevant) - I plan to also get a small desktop with Windows 7 and perhaps network that computer with this one. That’s another question for a later time and I provide it here simply if such might be relevant to any recommendations.]

Conclusion

I thought I might need run a program but shant until told otherwise. YOU FOLKS ARE GREAT!.

Sincerely,

Felix Cattus*  (From Something I learned about cats a ways back:

The Latin name of your cat? Felis cattus. (Hence the first cartoon)

The Latin name of a European Forest Cat? (They look like Maine Coons) Answer: Felis Sylvestris!

[No Latin learnings? No worries. The felis/felix applies to all purring cats as they ‘sound’ happy. (As in felicity or Felice Navidad.) As to sylvestris (e.g., Sylvester the Cat) sylv*** means of the forest, such as Penns Woods? You know, Pennsylvania?

FC

FC

Edited by hamluis, 23 September 2015 - 09:44 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:59 PM

If I got a 2nd hand laptop, first thing I would do is factory restore it.

Then uninstall junkware that comes with it. Then turn off win7 customer experience stuff and remove customer experience stuff from the scheduled tasks.

Do all the windows updates, but do not install the new "windows 10 junk" updates, which there's at least a half a dozen of those that you have to hide.

Install an antivirus like Avast free.

Running 3 or 4 browsers means you have 3 or 4 browsers that can be infected or have problems with. What I would do is, only install firefox, and given your privacy concerns I wouldn't touch chrome if I was you. There's no reason to get Safari, there's (effectively) no reason to use anything other than Firefox.

Use DuckDuckGo as your search engine, not Google.

Don't install Adobe anything unless you need to. An alternative to reader would be Foxit Reader, but, lately they keep trying to silently install Cloud software, so... they are both garbage as far as I am concerned I guess pick your poison and check all the settings of them every time they install a patch...

As an aside, you can disable your wifi network adapter when you are not using the internet (I don't recommend doing that on and off every hour, but I mean if you plan to not use the internet for 2 solid days, might as well not have it connected (given your concerns I mean))

You may also be interested in Libre Office, you could potentially cut your dependency on word perfect and MS office depending on your needs.

#3 Felix Cattus

Felix Cattus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:41 PM

Sparklestar,

Thank you. I am still open to more suggestions as above are helpful, and I'm not overrrun with information yet.

I'm stuck with Adobe because what I must file must be in that format or its rejected. (Often rejected despite being in that format.)

Thanks again.

F.C.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 09:44 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 19 September 2015 - 10:57 AM

I'm stuck with Adobe because what I must file must be in that format or its rejected. (Often rejected despite being in that format.)

I would take most of what sparklestar has suggested with a grain of salt.  

When it comes to browsers this is pretty much a personal choice.  There is nothing wrong with Chrome or Safari, or IE for that matter, as long as you use a current version.  I've used both Firefox and Chrome for years and have never experienced any privacy issues or infections at all because of their use.   The danger of infection with a browser usually is when the browser is no longer current or is no longer supported.  This is true of other software as well, like Adobe Reader and Java.  As long as you use a current version you shouldn't have any security issues because of these.  As for being a privacy issue, I have not experienced any with any of the browser I've used.  If you wish to stay away from potential privacy issues I would suggest staying away from Facebook.

As far as search engines go, there's nothing wrong with Google.  Once again, this is personal preference.

If you are referring to PDF files you need a PDF reader.  One of the few things I agree with sparklestar is the use of Foxit Reader.  It has a smaller footprint than Adobe, it is faster and works very well.  I've been using it for a couple of years now.

Most people using wifi with their computer are usually connected to their modem via a router.  If the router is being used via wifi this makes it about as safe as it's going to get.  Add a good firewall to this and you should be safe from most of the mundane means of accessing your computer.   I see no reason to disable the wifi for security reasons.  I would be a great deal more concerned about being infected by backdoor virus where the potential of having your sensitive information accessed is very high.

Avast free is a decent antivirus, the purchased version is a little more thorough and isn't that expensive.  I would also suggest running a antimalware like Malwarebytes Antimalware as well as an anitvirus.  The purchased version is active, so you don't need to run scans periodically.

The updates for Windows 10 can be hidden, this is what I would suggest doing with these if you don't intend to upgrade to Windows 10.  If you uninstall these they will be recognized as not being installed and Windows updates will reinstall them.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Felix Cattus

Felix Cattus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 04:23 AM

Hamluis and "Arachibutyrophobia" (fear of flaming spiders?) (ABP)

Thank you both.  I am going to do per Hamluis' (HL's) suggestions as soon as I'm done with this.

I am assuming that the 'snapshot' thing on  Speccy is not a photograph of Moi. (I may be "someone!" But, instead, thank God, I'm simply me.) If such is required - it appeared otherwise - I'll end up looking a lot like my name - it's amazing how fast these paws can type. (It's that natural feline "hunting" - with some fowlish "pecking" - and there ya go! ) (Just being silly. Sorry.)

Thanks again. I'm off to do as requested.

When I received message notice in my email, and came here, I hit the button to HL's info page, and loved your Paul Simon Kodachrome quote. I like your quote also, ABP. (But despite how hard it can be, 'tis better to have loved and lost.....) 

Man, do the Sierra foothills takes me away....(After my father passed away, I adopted his little  brother as my father. He - my Uncle - was (RIP, each) a gold miner and inventor in your neck of the woods, though I wonder if you might be farther North.  God I love it out there. He called it God's Country, and it sure is. (Certainly a lot more so than Fla.) I used to visit him in Grass Valley ALL the time. (If you happen to live there, do NOT flip out. I have strange things like that happen to me ALL the time. E.g., the fact that wrote that just now, when 9/10 times I wouldn't, and now turns out to be the one time the person was his next door neighbor or such. I wouldn't know how to look anyone up if I tried, and . . . whatever - no worries. Thanks again, both. Off to do that stuff, especially since I fear I MAY have a virus or such, yet didn't want to post over at security right out of the box, without a greater level of concern, which I've frankly been getting to. The ball's in my court. I'm off to play computer engineer - like all my siblings!)

Joke: 

A horse walks into a bar. The bartender says, "Why the long face?"

End.

Thanks again.

F.C.

#7 Felix Cattus

Felix Cattus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 05:01 AM

Hamluis,

Again, THANK YOU. Here I go (I hope.)

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/kyz8dIyPoFJzCqsxQUeZHpe

And,  Now the MTB: (Below my "F.C." signature, infra.)

I'll say thanks here and I await your input with bated breath. (As opposed to baited breath, which my cat has after she eats shrimp. Har hee, heh, uh, nevermind.  ;-)

F.C.

MiniToolBox by Farbar  Version: 25-07-2015 01
Ran by Admin (administrator) on 23-09-2015 at

05:46:29
Running from "C:\Users\Admin\Downloads"
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium  Service Pack 1

(X64)
Model: Inspiron 1545 Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Boot Mode: Normal

========================= Event log errors:

===============================

Application errors:
==================
Error: (09/23/2015 05:31:08 AM) (Source: Application

Hang) (User: )
Description: The program IEXPLORE.EXE version

11.0.9600.18015 stopped interacting with Windows and

was closed. To see if more information about the

problem is available, check the problem history in

the Action Center control panel.

Process ID: bb4

Start Time: 01d0f5e27b30a222

Termination Time: 30

Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet

Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE

Report Id:

Error: (09/23/2015 05:30:27 AM) (Source: Application

Hang) (User: )
Description: The program IEXPLORE.EXE version

11.0.9600.18015 stopped interacting with Windows and

was closed. To see if more information about the

problem is available, check the problem history in

the Action Center control panel.

Process ID: 5a8

Start Time: 01d0f5ba640b0b2e

Termination Time: 10

Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet

Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE

Report Id:

Error: (09/23/2015 01:21:06 AM) (Source: Application

Error) (User: )
Description: Faulting application name:

IEXPLORE.EXE, version: 11.0.9600.18015, time stamp:

0x55cec14a
Faulting module name: AcroRd32.dll, version:

9.1.2.82, time stamp: 0x4a154301
Exception code: 0x80000001
Fault offset: 0x0005fcad
Faulting process id: 0x1034
Faulting application start time: 0xIEXPLORE.EXE0
Faulting application path: IEXPLORE.EXE1
Faulting module path: IEXPLORE.EXE2
Report Id: IEXPLORE.EXE3

Error: (09/21/2015 05:21:38 PM) (Source: Swapdrive

Backup) (User: )
Description: Swapdrive Backup: Web Service Error:

System.Net.WebException: The remote name could not

be resolved: 'wsvcdell.backup.com'
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream

(TransportContext& context)
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream()
   at

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol

.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
   at

Swapdrive.Shared.com.backup.uswsvcdell.Service.GetIn

fo(GetInfoRequest req)
   at Swapdrive.Shared.ActivationWsvcs.GetInfo()

Error: (09/21/2015 02:29:35 AM) (Source: Swapdrive

at

at

fo(GetInfoRequest req)

Error: (09/18/2015 09:46:17 PM) (Source: Swapdrive

at

at

fo(GetInfoRequest req)

Error: (09/18/2015 04:22:14 PM) (Source: Swapdrive

at

at

fo(GetInfoRequest req)

Error: (09/17/2015 10:17:28 AM) (Source: SideBySide)

(User: )
Description: Activation context generation failed

for "C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests

\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-

controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7601.18837_none_fa3b1e

3d17594757.manifest1".Error in manifest or policy

file "C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests

3d17594757.manifest2" on line C:\Windows\WinSxS

\manifests\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-

3d17594757.manifest3.
A component version required by the application

conflicts with another component version already

active.
Conflicting components are:.
Component 1: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests

3d17594757.manifest.
Component 2: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests

\x86_microsoft.windows.common-

controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7601.18837_none_41e855

142bd5705d.manifest.

Error: (09/17/2015 10:17:28 AM) (Source: SideBySide)

for "C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests

3d17594757.manifest1".Error in manifest or policy

file "C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests

3d17594757.manifest2" on line C:\Windows\WinSxS

\manifests\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-

3d17594757.manifest3.
A component version required by the application

conflicts with another component version already

active.
Conflicting components are:.
Component 1: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests

3d17594757.manifest.
Component 2: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests

142bd5705d.manifest.

Error: (09/17/2015 05:19:50 AM) (Source: SideBySide)

for "1".Error in manifest or policy file "2" on line

Invalid Xml syntax.

System errors:
=============
Error: (09/15/2015 05:59:22 AM) (Source: Service

Control Manager) (User: )
Description: A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was

reached while waiting for a transaction response

from the Netman service.

Error: (09/12/2015 05:21:56 AM) (Source: Service

Description: A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was

reached while waiting for a transaction response

from the ShellHWDetection service.

Error: (09/11/2015 10:49:30 AM) (Source: Service

Description: The McAfee Inc. mferkdk service failed

to start due to the following error:
%%127

Error: (09/11/2015 10:38:30 AM) (Source: Service

Description: The Windows Font Cache Service service

terminated with the following error:
%%32

Error: (09/11/2015 10:37:56 AM) (Source: Application

Popup) (User: )
Description: There was error [DATABASE OPEN FAILED]

processing the driver database.

Error: (09/11/2015 10:35:35 AM) (Source: EventLog)

Description: The previous system shutdown at 4:02:47

AM on ‎9/‎11/‎2015 was unexpected.

Error: (09/10/2015 01:54:54 PM) (Source: EventLog)

Description: The previous system shutdown at 5:43:56

AM on ‎9/‎10/‎2015 was unexpected.

Error: (09/09/2015 01:03:24 PM) (Source: Service

Description: The Windows Modules Installer service

terminated with the following error:
%%16405

Error: (09/09/2015 01:02:13 PM) (Source: VDS Basic

Provider) (User: )
Description: Unexpected failure. Error code:

D@01010004

Error: (09/09/2015 01:02:13 PM) (Source: VDS Basic

Provider) (User: )
Description: Unexpected failure. Error code:

D@01010004

Microsoft Office Sessions:
=========================
Error: (09/23/2015 05:31:08 AM) (Source: Application

Hang)(User: )
Description:

IEXPLORE.EXE11.0.9600.18015bb401d0f5e27b30a22230C:

\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE

Error: (09/23/2015 05:30:27 AM) (Source: Application

Hang)(User: )
Description:

IEXPLORE.EXE11.0.9600.180155a801d0f5ba640b0b2e10C:

\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE

Error: (09/23/2015 01:21:06 AM) (Source: Application

Error)(User: )
Description:

IEXPLORE.EXE11.0.9600.1801555cec14aAcroRd32.dll9.1.2

.824a154301800000010005fcad103401d0f5bf199a75a3C:

\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer

\IEXPLORE.EXEC:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader

9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.dlle3a7870c-61b2-11e5-868f-

a4badbd38aee

Error: (09/21/2015 05:21:38 PM) (Source: Swapdrive

Backup)(User: )

at

at

fo(GetInfoRequest req)

Error: (09/21/2015 02:29:35 AM) (Source: Swapdrive

at

at

fo(GetInfoRequest req)

Error: (09/18/2015 09:46:17 PM) (Source: Swapdrive

at

at

fo(GetInfoRequest req)

Error: (09/18/2015 04:22:14 PM) (Source: Swapdrive

at

at

fo(GetInfoRequest req)

Error: (09/17/2015 10:17:28 AM) (Source:

SideBySide)(User: )
Description: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests

3d17594757.manifestC:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests

142bd5705d.manifestC:\Program Files (x86)\Cozi

Express\CoziExpress.exe

Error: (09/17/2015 10:17:28 AM) (Source:

Description: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests

3d17594757.manifestC:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests

142bd5705d.manifestC:\Program Files (x86)\Cozi

Express\CoziExpress.exe

Error: (09/17/2015 05:19:50 AM) (Source:

Description: c:\program files (x86)\microsoft\search

enhancement pack\search helper\searchhelper.dllc:

\program files (x86)\microsoft\search enhancement

pack\search helper\searchhelper.dll2

=========================== Installed Programs

============================

Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX (HKLM-x32\...\Adobe

Flash Player ActiveX) (Version: 10.0.42.34 - Adobe

Systems Incorporated)
Adobe Photoshop Elements 8.0 (HKLM-x32\...\Adobe

Photoshop Elements 8.0) (Version: 8.0 - Adobe

Systems Incorporated)
Adobe Reader 9.1.2 (HKLM-x32\...\{AC76BA86-7AD7-

1033-7B44-A91000000001}) (Version: 9.1.2 - Adobe

Systems Incorporated)
Cisco EAP-FAST Module (HKLM-x32\...\{64BF0187-F3D2-

498B-99EA-163AF9AE6EC9}) (Version: 2.2.14 - Cisco

Systems, Inc.)
Cisco LEAP Module (HKLM-x32\...\{51C7AD07-C3F6-4635

-8E8A-231306D810FE}) (Version: 1.0.19 - Cisco

Systems, Inc.)
Cisco PEAP Module (HKLM-x32\...\{ED5776D5-59B4-46B7

-AF81-5F2D94D7C640}) (Version: 1.1.6 - Cisco

Systems, Inc.)
Consumer In-Home Service Agreement (HKLM-x32\...

\{F47C37A4-7189-430A-B81D-739FF8A7A554}) (Version:

2.0.0 - Dell Inc.)
Cozi (HKLM-x32\...\{2DA5F129-11AC-4F11-8188-

B2F07EAAC20A}) (Version: 1.0.4323.24051 - Cozi

Group, Inc.)
Dell Communications (Support Software) (HKLM-

x32\...\{351DE0AB-7787-4497-9A7A-4AA9E3A4E290})

(Version: 1.0.09094 - Dell)
Dell DataSafe Local Backup - Support Software

(HKLM-x32\...\{A9668246-FB70-4103-A1E3-

66C9BC2EFB49}) (Version: 2.41 - Dell)
Dell DataSafe Local Backup (HKLM-x32\...\{0ED7EE95-

6A97-47AA-AD73-152C08A15B04}) (Version: 9.4.51 -

Dell)
Dell DataSafe Online (HKLM-x32\...\{13766F76-6C8C-

4E57-A9F3-3212D1C6E0D1}) (Version: 1.2.0011 - Dell,

Inc.)
Dell Dock (HKLM\...\{C73A3942-84C8-4597-9F9B-

EE227DCBA758}) (Version: 2.0 - Stardock Corporation)

Hidden
Dell Dock (HKLM-x32\...\Dell Dock) (Version:  -

Stardock Corporation)
Dell Edoc Viewer (HKLM\...\{8EBA8727-ADC2-477B-

9D9A-1A1836BE4E05}) (Version: 1.0.0 - Dell Inc)
Dell Getting Started Guide (HKLM-x32\...\{7DB9F1E5-

9ACB-410D-A7DC-7A3D023CE045}) (Version: 1.00.0000 -

Dell Inc.)
Dell Support Center (Support Software) (HKLM-

x32\...\{E3BFEE55-39E2-4BE0-B966-89FE583822C1})

(Version: 2.5.09100 - Dell)
Dell Touchpad (HKLM\...\{9F72EF8B-AEC9-4CA5-B483-

143980AFD6FD}) (Version: 7.1107.115.102 - ALPS

ELECTRIC CO., LTD.)
Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility (HKLM\...\Dell

Wireless WLAN Card Utility) (Version: 5.30.21.0 -

Dell Inc.)
GoToAssist 8.0.0.514 (HKLM-x32\...\GoToAssist)

(Version:  - )
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver (HKLM

\...\HDMI) (Version: 8.15.10.1994 - Intel

Corporation)
Intel® Matrix Storage Manager (HKLM\...\{9068B2BE-

D93A-4C0A-861C-5E35E2C0E09E}) (Version:  - Intel

Corporation)
Java™ 6 Update 20 (64-bit) (HKLM\...\{26A24AE4-

039D-4CA4-87B4-2F86416020FF}) (Version: 6.0.200 -

Sun Microsystems, Inc.)
Java™ 6 Update 20 (HKLM-x32\...\{26A24AE4-039D-

4CA4-87B4-2F83216020FF}) (Version: 6.0.200 - Sun

Microsystems, Inc.)
Junk Mail filter update (HKLM-x32\...\{E2DFE069-

083E-4631-9B6C-43C48E991DE5}) (Version:

14.0.8089.726 - Microsoft Corporation) Hidden
McAfee SecurityCenter (HKLM-x32\...\MSC) (Version: 

- McAfee, Inc.)
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (HKLM\...

\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile)

(Version: 4.0.30319 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Office 2000 SR-1 Standard (HKLM-x32\...

\{00020409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7}) (Version:

9.00.3821 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Office 2010 (HKLM-x32\...\{95140000-0070-

0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}) (Version: 14.0.4763.1000 -

Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Silverlight (HKLM-x32\...\{89F4137D-6C26-

4A84-BDB8-2E5A4BB71E00}) (Version: 3.0.40624.0 -

Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition [ENU]

(HKLM-x32\...\{F0B430D1-B6AA-473D-9B06-

AA3DD01FD0B8}) (Version: 3.1.0000 - Microsoft

Corporation)
Microsoft Sync Framework Runtime Native v1.0 (x86)

(HKLM-x32\...\{8A74E887-8F0F-4017-AF53-

CBA42211AAA5}) (Version: 1.0.1215.0 - Microsoft

Corporation)
Microsoft Sync Framework Services Native v1.0 (x86)

(HKLM-x32\...\{BD64AF4A-8C80-4152-AD77-

FCDDF05208AB}) (Version: 1.0.1215.0 - Microsoft

Corporation)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (HKLM-

x32\...\{052bac4a-6f79-46d4-a024-1ce1b4f73cd4})

(Version: 8.0.58299 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x64)

(HKLM\...\{071c9b48-7c32-4621-a0ac-3f809523288f})

(Version: 8.0.56336 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64

9.0.30729.17 (HKLM\...\{8220EEFE-38CD-377E-8595-

13398D740ACE}) (Version: 9.0.30729 - Microsoft

Corporation)
PowerDVD DX (HKLM-x32\...\{6811CAA0-BF12-11D4-9EA1-

0050BAE317E1}) (Version: 8.3.6029 - CyberLink Corp.)
Quickset64 (HKLM\...\{87CF757E-C1F1-4D22-865C-

00C6950B5258}) (Version: 9.6.6 - Dell Inc.)
Roxio Burn (HKLM-x32\...\{B2E47DE7-800B-40BB-BD1F-

9F221C3AEE87}) (Version: 1.01 - Roxio)
Skype Toolbars (HKLM-x32\...\{981029E0-7FC9-4CF3-

AB39-6F133621921A}) (Version: 1.0.4036 - Skype

Technologies S.A.)
Skype™ 4.1 (HKLM-x32\...\{D103C4BA-F905-437A-8049-

DB24763BBE36}) (Version: 4.1.179 - Skype

Technologies S.A.)
WildTangent Games (HKLM-x32\...\WildTangent dell

Master Uninstall) (Version: 1.0.0.71 - WildTangent)
Windows Live Essentials (HKLM-x32\...

\WinLiveSuite_Wave3) (Version: 14.0.8089.0726 -

Microsoft Corporation)
Windows Live Sign-in Assistant (HKLM-x32\...

\{45338B07-A236-4270-9A77-EBB4115517B5}) (Version:

5.000.818.5 - Microsoft Corporation)
Windows Live Sync (HKLM-x32\...\{84EBDF39-4B33-49D7

-A0BD-EB6E2C4E81C1}) (Version: 14.0.8089.726 -

Microsoft Corporation)
Windows Live Upload Tool (HKLM-x32\...\{205C6BDD-

7B73-42DE-8505-9A093F35A238}) (Version:

14.0.8014.1029 - Microsoft Corporation)

========================= Memory info:

===================================

Percentage of memory in use: 41%
Total physical RAM: 3032.36 MB
Available physical RAM: 1758.9 MB
Total Virtual: 6062.93 MB
Available Virtual: 4372.16 MB

========================= Partitions:

=====================================

1 Drive c: (OS) (Fixed) (Total:218.2 GB)

(Free:175.95 GB) NTFS

========================= Users:

========================================

User accounts for \\ADMIN-PC

Admin                    Administrator           

**** End of log ****

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:20 AM

You are using Adobe Reader 9, the current version is 11 (XI) is the current version.  You need to update to this version.  With older version of Adobe Reader they are no longer supported, this makes them a potential security issue.

You also have Java 6 installed, the current version is 8.  Java 6 is no longer supported and has the same potential security issue as Adobe Reader, so you should update to the latest version if you are using Java.  If you are not using Java I would suggest uninstalling it altogether.

After doing further reading on the errors being seen here it looks like this computer may be infected.  Both McAfee and Microsoft suggest this possibility with the errors seen here.

I am going to request that this topic be moved to the Am I Infected forum where the tools needed to run the needed scans can be used.  These tools can not be used in the Windows forums.

Man, do the Sierra foothills takes me away....(After my father passed away, I adopted his little  brother as my father. He - my Uncle - was (RIP, each) a gold miner and inventor in your neck of the woods, though I wonder if you might be farther North.  God I love it out there. He called it God's Country, and it sure is. (Certainly a lot more so than Fla.) I used to visit him in Grass Valley ALL the time. (If you happen to live there, do NOT flip out. I have strange things like that happen to me ALL the time. E.g., the fact that wrote that just now, when 9/10 times I wouldn't, and now turns out to be the one time the person was his next door neighbor or such. I wouldn't know how to look anyone up if I tried, and . . . whatever - no worries. Thanks again, both. Off to do that stuff, especially since I fear I MAY have a virus or such, yet didn't want to post over at security right out of the box, without a greater level of concern, which I've frankly been getting to. The ball's in my court. I'm off to play computer engineer - like all my siblings!)

Grass Valley is a little over ten miles away from where I live.  And I have to admit that I too consider this to be God's country.

Edited by dc3, 23 September 2015 - 08:37 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 Felix Cattus

Felix Cattus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 02:29 PM

I AGREE and thank you for your recommendation. 

Now, as to me, Should I do anything? Do I control this? (I hereby authorize either you or hamluis to switch it to that likely more proper location provided I get some way of staying in touch, I hope that counts for something.)  I imagine such switches to have been some forum basic from days of internet yore/ 'fortran?" "cobal" (I have no clue on that stuff, though my Mum and family could teach me.)  

You'll never get objections to that God's country aspect there, and out West in general. I've done a lot of my life there, and sometimes wish I'd not come home to Florida,  but time passes and bridges fail - not from burning, but from lack of use and maintenance.

Again, I thank you very much. Just typing to you puts me out on those roads in his old Jeep truck. I'd show up unannounced - from  Florida - on one of my frequent flyer mile ski trips, but he, (L.W.) was always, "No worries, Tiger!" 

(My immediate family were born in Oakland - lived there, San Jose, and then to Lancaster where my dad worked at Edwards and Vandenberg. We then moved to Florida with the Space program around 1966 while all the relatives on both sides stayed out there. My dad's clan was born to sharecroppers in S.C. and moved to Cal. in 1942 so my 4'11" grandma could play Rosie the Riveter inside the wingtips where no one else could fit. What a class lady! )

Now only the oldest of those siblings is with us. I think I'll give him a call tonight. He's 85 and still hunts deer. . .  with a bow.

Thanks again.  F.C.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 02:42 PM

I had already requested that the topic be moved to the Am I Infected forum, and it has been moved.  

Please do the following.

Please run Malwarebytes AntiMalware

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.  After clicking on the link the download will start automatically.

1)  Double-click on mbam-setup.exe, then click on Run to install the application, follow the prompts through the installation.

2)  Malwarebytes will automatically open.  If this is the first time you have run this version of Malwarbytes you will see an image like the one below.

mbam1_zps95cc812c.png

Click on Update Now, after Malwarebytes is updated click on Scan.

If this isn't the first time you have run this version, then you will see an image like the one below.  Click on Scan

mbam1_zps98e7fba9.png

You will be prompted to update Malwarebytes, to do so click on Update Now.

mbam2_zps85f38f0c.png

3)  The scan will automatically run now.

malwarerun_zps9abd4ef1.png

4)  When the scan is complete the results will be displayed.  Click on Delete All.

malwarenew_zps34b58fdc.png

5)  Please post the Malwarebytes log.

To find your Malwarebytes log,download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop.

To open the log double click on mbam-check.exe on your desktop.  Copy and paste the log in your topic.

================

Please run AdwCleaner

Please download AdwCleaner and install it.

When AdwCleaner opens you will see an image like the one below.

adwcleaner11_zps48314883.png

Click on Scan to start the scan.

Once the search is complete a list of the pending items will be displayed.  If you see any which you do not want removed, remove the check mark next to it.  

Click on Clean to remove the selected items.  If you have any questions about any items in the list please copy and paste the list in your topic so we can review it.  

You will receive a message telling you that all programs will be closed so that the infections can be removed.  Click on OK.  The computer will be restarted to complete the cleaning process.

When the cleaning process is complete a log of what was removed will be presented.  Please copy and the paste this log in your topic.

================

Please run the ESET OnlineScan

This scan takes quite a long time to run, so be prepared to allow this to run till it is completed.

***Please note. If you run this scan using Internet Explorer you won't need to download the Eset Smartinstaller.***

ESET Online Scanner

• Click here to download the installer for ESET Online Scanner and save it to your Desktop.
  • Disable all your antivirus and antimalware software - see how to do that here.
  • Right click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe and select Run as Administrator.
  • Place a checkmark in YES, I accept the Terms of Use, then click Start. Wait for ESET Online Scanner to load its components.
  • Select Enable detection of potentially unwanted applications.
  • Click Advanced Settings, then place a checkmark in the following:
    • Remove found threats
    • Scan archives
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • Click Start to begin scanning.
  • ESET Online Scanner will start downloading signatures and scan. Please be patient, as this scan can take quite some time.
  • When the scan is done, click List threats (only available if ESET Online Scanner found something).
  • Click Export, then save the file to your desktop.
  • Click Back, then Finish to exit ESET Online Scanner.

Edited by dc3, 23 September 2015 - 02:43 PM.

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 02:58 PM

OP mentioned having two msIE browsers.  Kinda sorta can do that, I have both my 32-bit and 64-bit IEs working, however, be aware, that both IEs will use the same users [user] AppData pots; and "cause there still some web sites that work best with IE [Hallmark e-cards, for me anyhow], I keep both IEs in good working order.  I use Firefox and Chrome -- Chrome at school, FF at home.   Privacy?  Unless you plan to leave laptop permnently off the 'Net, plan on continual vigilance via your chosen security software.   Backups/Restores -- privacy being a concern -- buy two external HDs, use them on a routine basis.  No cloud except industrial strength and price.

Edited by RolandJS, 23 September 2015 - 03:01 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#12 Felix Cattus

Felix Cattus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 01:09 AM

ABP:

Felix Cattus Back. I apologize for any delay. I am dealing with a major surgery coming up and it's hard to get time to get this done, though it needs to be.

I certainly appreciate your help.

I have tried to follow your steps and got further than I thought I would. Here's the logs, with some notes from me where I got lost around the SET program thing:

Malwarebytes went according to what you said.
--------

HERE IS THE REPORT FROM MALWAREBYTES:
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
www.malwarebytes.org

Scan Date: 9/28/2015
Scan Time: 12:55 AM
Logfile:
Administrator: Yes

Version: 2.1.8.1057
Malware Database: v2015.09.27.07
Rootkit Database: v2015.09.22.01
License: Trial
Malware Protection: Enabled
Malicious Website Protection: Enabled
Self-protection: Disabled

CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: Admin

Scan Type: Threat Scan
Result: Completed
Objects Scanned: 345780
Time Elapsed: 11 min, 42 sec

Memory: Enabled
Startup: Enabled
Filesystem: Enabled
Archives: Enabled
Rootkits: Disabled
Heuristics: Enabled
PUP: Enabled
PUM: Enabled

Processes: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Modules: 0

Registry Keys: 0

Registry Values: 0

Registry Data: 0

Folders: 0

Files: 0

Physical Sectors: 0

(end)

----------

FELIX AGAIN: however, when I went to adwcleaner, I did scan, and like malwarebytes, it too found nothing.

You say "a list of pending items' will be displayed but nothing was.

Click on Scan to start the scan.

Once the search is complete a list of the pending items will be displayed.  If you see any which you do not want removed, remove the check mark next to it.  SAW NOTHING

Click on Clean to remove the selected items.  If you have any questions about any items in the list please copy and paste the list in your topic so we can review it.  NOTHING TO REVIEW

You will receive a message telling you that all programs will be closed so that the infections can be removed.  Click on OK.  The computer will be restarted to complete the cleaning process. NO MESSAGE.

When the cleaning process is complete a log of what was removed will be presented.  Please copy and the paste this log in your topic.

NOTHING WAS REMOVED SO NOTHING PRESENTED,SO I HIT THE BUTTON FOR LOGFILE AND GOT THIS:

# AdwCleaner v5.009 - Logfile created 28/09/2015 at 01:00:51
# Updated 27/09/2015 by Xplode
# Database : 2015-09-27.1 [Server]
# Operating system : Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 (x64)
# Username : Admin - ADMIN-PC
# Running from : C:\Users\Admin\Downloads\AdwCleaner.exe
# Option : Scan
# Support : http://toolslib.net/forum

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Folders ] *****

***** [ Files ] *****

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Scheduled tasks ] *****

***** [ Registry ] *****

Key Found : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{21FA44EF-376D-4D53-9B0F-8A89D3229068}
Key Found : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{21FA44EF-376D-4D53-9B0F-8A89D3229068}
Key Found : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Settings\{21FA44EF-376D-4D53-9B0F-8A89D3229068}
Value Found : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar [{21FA44EF-376D-4D53-9B0F-8A89D3229068}]
Value Found : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser [{21FA44EF-376D-4D53-9B0F-8A89D3229068}]

***** [ Web browsers ] *****

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S1].txt - [1083 bytes] ##########

-----------------------

ON MY SECURITY STUFF, I'VE GOT AN OLD MCAFEE. I HAVE NOT FOUND ANY 'EXIT' BUTTON. SO I CLICKED IT ON MY PIN BAR AT BOTTOM AND SAID "CLOSE WINDOW."

I REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT IS ON HERE, ETC. HAVE ANY OF THE LOGS I'VE PROVIDED ADVISED YOU WHAT I DO OR DO NOT HAVE? I REMEMBER SEEING WINDOWS DEFENDER.

SO I HAVE GOTTEN THAT FAR THROUGH YOUR LIST WITH RESULTS ABOVE.

I must go to bed  but I sure help that the above amounts to a move forward.

Thank you Arachibutyrophobia (ABP),

F.C.

#13 Felix Cattus

Felix Cattus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:10 AM

Arachibutyrophobia (ABP),

I really don't recognize various anti mal ware etc. programs. Is there something I could run so I could be told which I need to deactivate. I know I have mcafee (expired) and windows defender (I saw it somewhere) but really have no general Idea.

I was just going to go to the install  / uninstall place and try to pull up a copy of all I found there, but can't find that window in Win7. (This is first I've ever used it.)

Just FYI, I guess. Thanks again.

F.C.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:22 AM

Windows Defender in Windows 7 is not a antivirus, it's a antimalware.

If your copy of McAfee has expired and you don't intend to pay for a current version you need to download a antivirus.  Microsoft Security Essentials works reasonably well and is a free download.  You will need to use McAfee's Product Removal Tool to totally uninstall it.

Download both programs, but don't do anything until you take your computer off line.  First read the instruction and then use the McAfee Product Removal Tool, then install Microsoft Security Essentials.

Double click on the download and choose to run the program.

A screen similar to the one below will open, click any key to run the program.

securitycheck_zpscfb86945.png

When the scan is finished there will be a log, copy and then paste your log in your next post.

#15 Felix Cattus

Felix Cattus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 09:33 AM

DC3(ABP)

I haven't done either of the MSE nor the McAfee stuff yet, but I did run the last, posted at the end. 

I would prefer MSE over McAfee.

Results of security check program:

Results of screen317's Security Check version 1.009 
 Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 (UAC is enabled) 
 Internet Explorer 11 
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
 Windows Firewall Enabled! 
McAfee VirusScan  
 WMI entry may not exist for antivirus; attempting automatic update.
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
 Java™ 6 Update 20 
 Java version 32-bit out of Date!
 Adobe Flash Player 10 Flash Player out of Date!
 Adobe Reader 9 Adobe Reader out of Date!
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent```````` 
 Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamservice.exe 
 Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbam.exe 
 McAfee VIRUSS~1 mcshield.exe 
 McAfee VIRUSS~1 mcsysmon.exe 
 Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamscheduler.exe  
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
 Total Fragmentation on Drive C: 0%
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

Thank you!!!!

F.C.

P.s., did/could you see eclipse last night? It rained here. :-(