Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Start Up Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KingGriffin

KingGriffin

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:27 PM

Hello Everyone,

I am a new poster to this forum, but I've been having an issue with my new desktop build, and I've run out of options that I can personally do on my own. First off, I'll post all the specs to my build:

Processr: Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1151 95W

Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 

Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 04G-P4-3966-KR 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16

Case: Thermaltake Overseer RX-I VN700M1W2N Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower TPD-0750M - SLI/ CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Gold Certification and Semi Modular

Hard Drive: Seagate Hybrid Drive ST1000DX001 1TB MLC/8GB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s NCQ 3.5" Desktop SSHD

My current issue is that when I connect the PSU cable to the wall and hit the power button, the PSU clicks, and all of my fans and LED's come on for a brief moment, then immediately shut off. A few seconds later, this repeats again without me touching anything.

The installation all went according to the manuals, with the only exception being that I initially had the front lead switches placed in an incorrect order, so the reset button was where the power button was supposed to be on the motherboard. With this incorrect set up, the computer actually turned on and STAYED on. Naturally I wanted to have the power button be the actual power button, so I messed with the leads, and now I have my current issue.

My main question is, did I short something when I had the front leads incorrectly installed? Is it possible I have a faulty motherboard or PSU?

I have done a significant amount of troubleshooting so far, such as redoing the entire installation, replacing all of the power cables and testing each separate part with the PSU starting with the CPU and RAM. So far nothing has helped, and I am about 6 hours invested into the total build so far.

Thank you for reading my post, I greatly appreciate even the smallest help on this.

- KingGriffin, Josh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:53 PM

Two common issues come to mind immediately: make sure your CPU fan is connected to the proper contact on the mainboard, ususally labelled CPU_FAN or somesuch;

and...if the heat sink is not properly mounted evenly, or the thermal grease no applied properly you won't boot. Both of these will result in exactly the result you are experiencing. Recheck your front panel leads that they are plugged in to the proper contacts on the mainboard (I am sure you went over that a dozen times).

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 KingGriffin

KingGriffin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 11:43 PM

Thank you for the quick reply ranchhand,

My big concern is if I shorted anything on the motherboard or the PSU...given your experience, do you think that its possible the leads could have caused this? I'm trying to weed out if this is a matter of faulty hardware or a mistake during assembly. 

I'll be sure to try your suggestions tomorrow and get back to you on the results!

Best,

- KingGriffin

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:15 AM

First, it's highly doubtful that merely swapping the power and reset leads is going to blow the motherboard or damage the power supply.

Try this: reset your BIOS back to factory default; unplug the power supply from the wall socket, remove the CMOS battery, and usually there is a 2-pin small jumper on  a set of 3 pins on the mobo that you move from one side to the other, wait 15 seconds, and move it back. See the manual for the mobo if you don't know where it is. Make sure your power and reset leads are plugged correctly and plug in the PS cable to the wall socket and try to boot the computer. 

If no joy, power down. Unplug the two power and reset leads from the mobo. Take a small, flat bladed screwdriver and cross the two power contacts. The computer should boot, at least the POST screen ( I assume that you haven't loaded the OS on the HDD yet) and should stay running. If it does, you have a bad power switch and/or a bad reset switch. Return/exchange the case.

If the unit still exhibits the same problem, try to get your hands on another power supply and swap it. The fact that you hear a "click" when the power supply starts is a bit unusual, they are usually silent. Unless you have a power supply tester that is the only other way to really test.

Here is a tutorial on testing your components that you might find helpful.

Wish you the best; post back with the results.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 KingGriffin

KingGriffin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:11 PM

Before I try some of the things you mentioned, I actually took a quick video so you could get a better idea of the clicking sound i'm hearing. I'm 100% sure this is from the PSU, maybe this certainly is the issue.

Here is the link: https://youtu.be/g1zk4E1_aL8

Also, my motherboard did not ship with (or I lost it) a CMOS jumper, would this not being on pins opposite of the CMOS have any effect on the current? If I hold the power button down for a few seconds, a little blue LED lights up where the CMOS pins are, not sure if this is relevant at all. 

Is it safe to take the flat bladed screwdriver to the pins? 

Just a few quick questions before I dive in to the physical work...thank you!

Edit: Added YouTube link for the video

Edited by KingGriffin, 17 September 2015 - 07:18 PM.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:48 PM

Also, my motherboard did not ship with (or I lost it) a CMOS jumper, would this not being on pins opposite of the CMOS have any effect on the current? If I hold the power button down for a few seconds, a little blue LED lights up where the CMOS pins are, not sure if this is relevant at all.

Use your manual that came with the mobo; does it explain how to reset the BIOS back to factory defaults?  if it details that a jumper is used, then that may be your problem. If those pins are not connected properly it's a toss up what the computer will do. Check your documentation carefully, it's got to be in there. Simple jumper pins are available at electronics stores, or make one yourself from thin wire wrapped around the proper two electrodes (temporary, of course until you get a real one).

re: click.  If the loud click is what I am hearing is what you are speaking of, that is not normal, especially if it is coming from the power supply. I have no way of discerning from the video you posted, so find out exactly where it is coming from. Sometimes I use an old car mechanic's trick; use a long metal rod and place it on various components and then trigger it to start. A click that loud will definitely be noticeable through the rod. A real long screwdriver will work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users