Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible malware/bizarre crashes on Windows 8 (blinking taskbar)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hewlettpackardsucks

hewlettpackardsucks

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 16 September 2015 - 07:11 PM

(Sorry if this is the wrong section)

Just today I was playing music from a YouTube playlist and I noticed that suddenly the bottom part of the taskbar and the upper part of the Chrome window (where all the tabs are) kept blinking: the icons on the taskbar disappeared, and instead it was blue and the windows icon on the right kept blinking on and off. The upper part of the Chrome window began blinking between inactive and active (darker and lighter). When I minimized all the windows open my wallpaper was instead just completely blue, with all the icons gone and the taskbar still blinking. I also received a bizarre error message along the lines of "random-string-of-letters-and-numbers could not access the memory of other-random-string-of-letters-and-numbers". Overall I wasn't really able to do anything in this state once the windows had closed out, because the windows button no longer worked and all the icons were gone.

I tried shutting down my computer and restarting it, which seemed to work at first until I tried playing the music again, at which point the whole process repeated with more error messages I couldn't fully understand. I restarted it again, and decided to not play any videos this time since that seemed to trigger it. So far it hasn't occurred again.

What I'm wondering is what's causing this, and if it's even possible to fix it. My immediate thought was a weird one-time error, but after it happened twice in a row I suspected malware. Except the only thing I could've gotten malware from recently was a store-bought DVD I used my computer to watch. When I put the DVD in, it showed as a whole drive in my files instead of a regular video file, and when I right-clicked it one of the options was "Play with Cyberlink PowerDVD 12", which I found out was some sort of fancy movie watching software. I didn't remember installing it but my computer came with lots of pre-installed software when I bought it (it's an HP if that matters), some of which I never deleted. After thinking about this, I decided if it was a virus it likely had to be somehow from either the Cyberlink software or the DVD I tried watching, but both seem unlikely. (Edit: I've realized I have also been using a website called convert2mp3.net to download albums from YouTube, which could also possibly infect the .mp3 files with malware)

Is there any way to diagnose this problem or fix it? Has anyone else experienced this before? I don't doubt this will happen again once I try playing a video or do something else that triggers it, and I'd be devastated if this computer had severe malware because I can't afford to buy a new one at all.

Edited by hewlettpackardsucks, 16 September 2015 - 07:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 05:07 AM

Start by getting checked for malware.  I'd suggest posting over in the Am I Infected forum:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
Please read the pinned topics at the top of the forum for instructions on how to post there.

Once they're done with you, if the problem persists, please feel free to post back here and we'll see what we can do then.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users