Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Task Manager

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Phreeberg

Phreeberg

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 02 December 2004 - 02:17 AM

This is what my task manager says are the processes on my computer.... why so many & how do I get rid of ones I do not need? I alrady ran HJT & posted it.... cyro helped me as best he could, but too no avail because I don't have Windows CD... but just wondering if I can get rid of some stuff.... Thanks ya'll....

AcroTray.exe
alg.exe
CCAPP.EXE
CCEVTMGR.EXE
CCPROXY.EXE
CCSETMGR.EXE
crss.exe
ctfmon.exe
drwtsn32.exe
drwtsn32.exe (again)
explorer.exe
iexplore.exe
iTouch.exe
LEXBCES.EXE
LEXPPS.EXE
lsass.exe
lxbmbmgr.exe
lxbmbmon.exe
mdm.exe
MsPMSPSv.exe
NAVAPSC.EXE
SAVScan.exe
services.exe
smss.exe
SNDSrvc.exe
spoolsv.exe
SpySub.exe
sqlmangr.exe
svchost.exe

symlcsvc.exe
symwsc.exe
System
System Idle Process
taskmgr.exe
winlogon.exe
wmplayer.exe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 02 December 2004 - 07:49 AM

You can check out this site ->Answers that work

All the programs are in alphabetical order, and they will tell you what each one of them does, and if it is safe to delete.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 07 December 2004 - 01:48 AM

You also may find useful information at Windows Startup Online. Tips in using this site are:
  • Start with the search just below the main heading.
  • use: filename: enter only the xxxxxxx.exe
  • use: program title: the name seen directly following the Program Files in a filepath. ie: C:\Program Files\blahblahblah\newone\ohboy.exe
  • program name is also the word(s) or lettters between the [xxxxx] in your HJT listings...those in the O4 section. ie: O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QOELOADER] "C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Anti-Spam\QSP-2.1.212.0\QOELoader.exe"
  • use: program name: always include brackets or your search will fail [xxxxx].
  • search for either filename or program title or both. Try all combinations for best results
  • It is a huge database, and being updated frequently, so a "very many page" situation exists.
  • it'll take time.
  • when facing a search result that gives you 175 pages at the bottom of the page, well... patience, my friend.
  • pick a number to start with, and remember it is alphabetically arranged always.
  • sometimes "m" is in the middle of the total number of pages.
  • sometimes it's two thirds through the list...it all depends on factors. Just pick a page to start with and go from there. It gets easier with practice. :thumbsup:
  • All searchs turn up the best info I've found on any particular startup .exe and some really off-the-wall programs. Good source for identifying interesting freeware...
  • You'll learn exactly why 25% of those startups in your log should be ended, too.
  • another 25% you should manually start using your start menu instead of letting 'em start/run constantly.
  • (same info at Answers That Work, in many cases). Just more extensive in it's scope.
Do not forget you can sinply cut & paste those filepaths directly to the google search field when the well runs dry at either AnswersThatWork or WindowsStartupOnline. You'll likely find info at several sources about nearly any program/executable file you'll find on your PC. Then theres the Microsoft Help & Support Center... but enough is enough, huh?

Now, once you find ones you don't want to startup, I'd recommend using the TOOLS in Spybot S&D advanced mode. Un check'em first, to see if it's goin' work for ya. If a couple days of runnin' under all the circumstances you'd likely experience presents no problems, then go back and delete them.

Take your time in trial & error. There is really no substitute for it, since everyone's got different computer use preferences. :flowers:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users