Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need a free program for scanner management.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 McGyver_

McGyver_

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 16 September 2015 - 04:15 PM

My all-in-one printer-scanner is HP LaserJet Pro MFP M127fw.

I need a software program that will manage the scanning function.  I don't know what those programs are called as a category, but what they do is:

1.  Save my settings,

2.  Tell the scanner if I want it to make a preview for the control program to display,

3.   Allow me to drag borders to select the section of the preview I want scanned,

4.  Tell the scanner to scan,

5.  Display the scanned picture or document,

6.  Ask whether I have another page to scan into the same document,

7.  Save the picture or document where I want it, with a name I enter, 

8.  Save images in several formats,

9.  Save documents in .docx, .tif and a few other formats, in editable form.

I have been using HPScan but it's too basic.  It won't save in any text format other than PDF.  The default settings can't be changed and I can't add a second page to the same document.  

A free program that does most of those things would be great, but if you recommend a program that isn't free, I'll buy it if I can't find a good free one.

My operating system is Windows 10 and the computer is a Dell PC.

Can anyone recommend such a program?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 04:40 PM

No wonder you are having troubles. HP's scan software sucks.

If I remember correctly, the scanning program built into Windows 7 should do everything you describe. It is, of course, free. Don't think it can turn a scanned image into a .docx, but that is not hard to do yourself. The scanning program in Windows 10 should not be very different than the one in Windows 7.

Does anybody here have any experience with the scanning application in Windows 10?

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,816 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 26 September 2015 - 03:33 AM

I have used the scanning program built into Windows 10 and it seems very versatile to my needs. YMMV.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,063 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 05:26 AM

Windows Photo Gallery,  XnView,  (and although maybe less powerful having possible limitations ) MS Paint.

If you have any photo/image management program on your computer, try checking if you are able to also use it with a scanner.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 01:09 AM

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/82335.aspx

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users