Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The internet and advertizeing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:44 AM

On the whole I know that advertizeing helps pay for the operation and running of many sites on the internet.

I just do not like it being forced down my throat. I like to be able to pick and choose what I may want to look at or not.

I just opened up at bleeping computer and got my first pop up claiming to be from bleeping computer.

Not 1 add but 4 bundled in one pop up. Please say it ain't so.

I am mistaken, gone crazy or it was a hallucination.

Edited by hamluis, 16 September 2015 - 10:56 AM.
Moved from Win 10 to Annoucements, Comments - Hamluis.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 16 September 2015 - 11:11 AM

If it's a pop up for the BC Store then it is only shown once, and will not return again in later sessions I think.

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 11:33 AM

Was just wondering I did not click on anything and that was the first add I remember ever seeing on here. Kind of a jolt lol

First thought was " now what's got me hacked again all ready"

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:21 PM

Grinler (Bleeping Computer site owner) explains it with this reply to another inquiry:

This promotion is only shown once per IP address so if you click on a new link you will never see it again. The reason you are seeing it is because you are pressing the back button and it's being read from your local cache again. If you go to the forum in question again, or refresh on the page you go back to, it will not show going forward.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,755 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 03:02 PM

I really enjoyed the ad. Looks like fun.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 01:14 AM

I should note that if you have a dynamic IP and you are in the habit of shutting down your computer each night, you'll likely see that ad every time you log in.

~ OB :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users