Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird bold font in all browsers

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Cecilia421

Cecilia421

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:23 AM

**SOLVED**

Ugh. So, after making this post, I found one last suggestion, which was to copy the fonts folder from a working Windows PC to the one that was having issues. So, I did that from my working laptop to the desktop that wasn't working, and after restarting Chrome, it's fine now. So, my guess is something got deleted or damaged somehow. Heaven only knows. At any rate, if you have a similar problem, give this a try if you can.

Okay, this is driving me insane. I don't know what is causing this and I just spent an hour trying to fix it.

Out of the blue, all of the browsers installed on my desktop computer (IE, Chrome, Firefox) are displaying this weird bold font. Best I can tell, it's being used for anything coded as "<strong>" in the HTML. It's all fine on my laptop, so I know it's something funky on my desktop but I have no idea what. I've tried a bunch of fixes that I found online for similar problems, including editing the custom.css file for Chrome, but nothing made any difference. When I go into my font settings on any browser, it's all set to Times New Roman for serif and Arial for sans-serif.

The only thing that I can possibly think of that I did this morning was to uninstall some old programs that I had not used in a while. Mostly just old games and a couple of leftover performance-checking applications from a college course that I took. Nothing that should have affected any available fonts or font settings.

Running Malwarebytes now, but nothing so far.

**Edit: I also just noticed that in the Fonts and encoding settings in Chrome on my desktop, "Times New Roman" is italicized. It is not italicized on my laptop. What on earth is this???***

Any thoughts?

Pictures:

Normal font on laptop:

normalfont.jpg

Same page on desktop:

WeirdBoldFont.JPG

Edited by Cecilia421, 16 September 2015 - 10:39 AM.

"Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards."
- Soren Kierkegaard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users