Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 glitches have sidelined my Surface 3

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 16 September 2015 - 08:34 AM

In years past, when I talked to others about Windows instability, I would hear that it wasn't Microsoft's fault. There are the hardware vendors, system software, and hardware drivers to blame and this was no doubt part of the problem.That doesn't apply to my situation with the Surface 3. It's Microsoft's hardware, Microsoft's OS, and Microsoft's responsibility to get the drivers right. On top of that, all of the apps causing my frustration are Microsoft's own. Plus, if the problems arose due to a bad update, that's firmly in Microsoft's lap too.

I still think this Windows 10 was rushed especially if there are issues when using Microsoft's own hardware.

Article

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:24 PM

Maybe, just maybe, microsoft is going to realise what a massive mistake it was to develop an operating system with mandatory updates. If this had happend on a previous OS they could just advise users "don't update until we've fixed Y", but with windows 10...

Edited by rp88, 16 September 2015 - 01:24 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23,582 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 02:11 PM

I am wondering what may get broken when Threshold 2, and later, Redstone come out. Only time will tell.

What I wonder is what happens when a major update renders some of your hardware useless. In the EULA Microsoft says Windows 10 will be free as long as your hardware can support it. A major release changes something where your current driver of a device no longer works even though the device functions perfectly and the manufacturer of the device says tough luck, we are not going to write a new driver for it. 

At least with previous versions of Windows you knew your device was going to work as long as the OS was supported, 10 years.

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 September 2015 - 02:12 PM.

#4 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 16 September 2015 - 05:55 PM

Exactly, JohnC_21, especially given the Lifecycle Agreement ** language, which I tried to point out in video, here.  That's one more 'gotcha'.  This will be my litmus test for accepting new employees or clients:  'What do you think of Windows 10?'  If they know nothing but praise it, I'll thank them for their time and say good-bye.

Operating systems are supposed to help you get work done, not eat your life.  :ranting:

Edited by brainout, 16 September 2015 - 05:56 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#5 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 16 September 2015 - 06:22 PM

I know I'm a bit more blase than most of you, but if my hardware can't handle Win 10 in a couple of years or so, and it's not a cheap fix, I can just go back to 7. That's what I paid for. That's really all I should expect.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23,582 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:56 AM

I may be wrong but I don't think you can revert once upgraded to Windows 10 after 30 days even if you have a retail version of Windows 7. A retail license of Windows 7 transfers to a retail license of Windows 10. After 30 days there is no going back. Maybe Aura can confirm this.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,627 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:03 AM

There's nothing that states that you cannot "downgrade" after 30 days. The 30 days rules applies to the built-in downgrade option in Windows 10 that uses the Windows.old and Windows.BT and Windows.WS folders to do a rollback. You can still clean install your previous version of Windows using your original product key after 30 days.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 O.T.T.

O.T.T.

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:11 AM

You can still clean install your previous version of Windows using your original product key after 30 days.

Do you have a source for that ?

Thanks.

OTT

Please ask Google why some of my links don't work anymore !

#9 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:30 AM

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/downgrade-to-windows-7-from-10-after-30-days/b2833b8d-b72e-44a7-bef3-20e9c6411b22?auth=1

http://news.softpedia.com/news/windows-7-and-8-1-users-have-only-30-days-to-downgrade-after-installing-windows-10-488323.shtml

http://betanews.com/2015/08/17/how-to-uninstall-windows-10-and-go-back-to-windows-7-or-8-1/

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,627 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:32 AM

leithanne posted them, but it's like I said, the 30 days period is only to use the built-in downgrade feature in Windows 10. After that, you'll have to clean install your previous version of Windows.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23,582 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:44 AM

I found this on SuperUser. One poster commented that Windows 10 invalidates the Windows 7 key after 30 days. You can reimage to Windows 7 or 8 but supposedly if it checks online for a key the OS will be listed as unactivated. It would be good to know if this is true or not.

Microsoft should post something on if this is possible or hopefully somebody who has done this after 30 days can post.

You have a year to get the free upgrade, you have 30 days to revert to previous W7, no it cannot go on for more than 30 days. If you make a system image of the Windows 7 install that is Activated (using 3rd party image software), then you could re-image the drive at any time and have W7 again, but if it ever checks the W7 key again it will deactivate as the W10 install deactivates the W7 key after 30 days, this info is stored on the Microsoft servers with your hardware profile

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,627 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:48 AM

A poster below that comment asked for proof but none was given so this is still pending.

unite_blue.png

#13 O.T.T.

O.T.T.

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:56 AM

leithanne & Aura : The links give little info about the original key still working...  :unsure:

But if that is a fact.

You could upgrade your system to W10 and dualboot with your (reinstalled) previous version?

JohnC_21 : That was what I had in mind...

OTT

Please ask Google why some of my links don't work anymore !

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,627 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:57 AM

From the Softpedia article.

Only 30 days to downgrade

And yet, if you consider downgrading to Windows 7 or 8.1, there’s one major thing that you need to keep in mind: you are only allowed to do that as long as you perform the downgrade in the first 30 days after you install Windows 10. If this period expires, you’re stuck on Windows 10, and the only way to go back to a previous version of Windows is to perform a clean install.

“Yes, while we think you will love all the features of Windows 10, you will have one month after upgrading to revert back to the previous version of Windows on your device,” Microsoft says in the official Windows 10 FAQ. The same message is also posted in the Settings screen when attempting to downgrade to a previous Windows version.

Needless to say, a clean install is the preferred option for many users, but this involves having the product key for your old Windows version and re-installing all your apps and settings. All files will be saved, but you’ll have to install all apps from scratch.

Of course, you’ll also lose all changes you made in Windows 10, as well as the new apps that are available in this new release, but on the other hand, you’ll get back the (more) familiar desktop that works just the way you like.

Edit: From:

http://www.howtogeek.com/226100/the-windows-10-faq-everything-you-need-to-know/

If you rollback your machine in that first month you get your entire old Windows installation back. If you rollback after the 30 days you aren’t as much rolling back anymore as you are just releasing your Windows 10 license and freeing up your old key to be used for your older version of Windows. You’ll still need to totally reinstall Windows and use your old key to get your old installation back up and running.

Edited by Aura, 17 September 2015 - 11:59 AM.

unite_blue.png

#15 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 12:30 PM

It's not STILL working, O.T.T. It's working AGAIN, after you release your Win 10 key, as per Aura's last quote. No way to have them both activated at the same time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users