Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about video card replacement and overclocking

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 flobiwan

flobiwan

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 16 September 2015 - 07:19 AM

I run 3 monitors and my GPU just died yesterday.  It's a Zotac GT640 (cheap one.  I'm not a gamer).  I found a video card with comparable specs for $105 which is about what i paid for my old one 3 years ago.  However, my one concern is that the new card is "superclocked" from the factory.  As i said, i'm not a gamer and i'm very wary about overclocking as i've heard that can have disastrous results if done wrong. 

After i get this new card, how would i go about removing the overclocking and bringing the card back to factory specs?  I don't need the overclocking and i'd rather be safe.  I've never done this before and know virtually nothing about it.  Can anyone give me a brief tutorial on how to find out what the clock speed should be normally and how to reset it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 16 September 2015 - 07:51 AM

Because it's a factory overclock (generally perfectly safe BTW) which will be hard coded into the cards firmware, AFAIK you would have to use overclocking software to underclock the GPU.  MSI Afterburner is a popular choice (card doesn't need to be MSI made).  Link goes to MSI page which includes tutorials and guide.

Reference clock speeds of GPU's can be found in the database here - http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 flobiwan

flobiwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:01 AM

Thanks.  I do realize that since it's a factory overclock, it probably is perfectly safe but i'm the kind of guy that likes to cover his butt five ways from Sunday so i figure why take any chance if i don't have to.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:17 AM

The factory overclock ones usually come with beefed up coolers to deal with the main enemy, heat.  But might it not be better to find one that isn't factory overclocked instead?  Guessing from the price you're looking at the GTX750 range, maybe something like this - http://pcpartpicker.com/part/pny-video-card-vcggtx750t2xpb

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 flobiwan

flobiwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:55 AM

Yeah, but i needed one right away and this one was in stock with the connections i needed and the specs were close to my old card so i grabbed it. I can't imagine a decent card being much less than $100 anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users