Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crash during game, PC keeps turning on and off

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 snapjaw

snapjaw

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 02:19 AM

Hi, I was playing a game that had problems working in the first place and it suddenly crashed my whole computer. The screen froze and distorted for a sec before it shut off.

Then it started up again for about 6 seconds and shut off; my screen stayed off the whole time. And it just keeps repeating this till I hold the power button and it stays off.

So now i dont know what to do. I can't get to BIOS or setup or anything. Please help me fix this problem. Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 16 September 2015 - 06:47 AM

If you're unable to get to the BIOS, then there's a huge problem here.

First, try removing the power and battery (if it's a laptop), then press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds.

Then put the battery back in, plug it back in, and see if you can get to the BIOS then.

Please let us know the make and model of the system (make and model of the motherboard if it's a custom build).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 snapjaw

snapjaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:53 AM

Its a custom desktop, should I still try to remove the battery? And, I'll post the model of the motherboard when I get home because i dont know it off hand.

#4 snapjaw

snapjaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:41 PM

The mothermoard is an MSI Model H67MS-E43

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 03:42 PM

Don't remove the battery.  Just remove the plug from the system and then hold the power button down.

Then, after 30 seconds, plug it back in and attempt to start it up.

Let us know what happens.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 snapjaw

snapjaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 04:33 PM

I tried it but it didnt work. PC keeps turning on and off.

Hear are my PC specs by the way.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Intel Core i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30 GHz
8 GB RAM
Evga Geforce GTX 580

Also the game i was playing was torrented. That probably has somethimg to do with it.

Edited by snapjaw, 16 September 2015 - 04:34 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 05:02 AM

The only way a game could cause this was if it was stressing the video card so much that it overheated and turned the system off.

Next step is to reset the BIOS/UEFI.  To do that, unplug the system from the wall.  Then remove the CMOS battery (it's the round silver colored battery about the size of a US nickle).

Then do the power button thing for 30 seconds.  Then put it all back together and boot into the BIOS/UEFI - as you'll have to reset the time and date again.

This will erase all custom settings in the BIOS/UEFI - so if you want to save them, do it before the reset.

#8 snapjaw

snapjaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 12:10 PM

Ok i removed the cmos, held the power for 30 seconds, put it back and turned on the computer. But it still restarts.

Im also posting on another forum and they say i should disconnect every thing except what i need for POST. Here is the forum if ur interested. Im brian in the posts.

http://www.pctechbytes.com/forums/index.php?/topic/48575-pc-crashed-during-game-wont-start-now/

#9 snapjaw

snapjaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:03 PM

I tried only connect8ng whats necassary for POST but the problem is still there. Any ideas?

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 04:52 AM

The other forum is doing a good job also.

Next I'd try this:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

If that doesn't work, then I'd suggest posting over in the Internal Hardware forum for some more expert advice:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/

#11 snapjaw

snapjaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:11 PM

Ik thanks, ill give those a try. Im gonna have to take my time and run through all the right steps so i dont miss anything.

#12 snapjaw

snapjaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 03:33 PM

Wooo! Finally some progress. I have 2 sticks of ram and when I left one stick it didn't work. But i tried leaving the other stick in by itself and i got my display to come on and it stopped restarting automatically.

Now boots to a black screen that says "CPU or Memory changed. Please enter setup to configure your system. Press F1 to run Setup. F2 to load default values and continue."

So what should i do now. Do I try those memtests and hdtests or try something else?

Edited by snapjaw, 19 September 2015 - 03:45 PM.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 05:03 PM

Press F2 :0)

I'd run MemTest86+ on the sticks - but I'm pretty sure you already know what the results will be (the stick that doesn't work is likely bad).

Replace the bad stick and see if that helps.

#14 snapjaw

snapjaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:47 PM

When i turned on my pc this it didn't show that black screen, just asked wether to start is safe mode or not. Got to my desktop but there are a couple of things missing.

In the notifications area at the bottom right, there are icons missing. The space is there but only the volume icon remains. Icons that used to be there were Realtech hd, nvidia, malwarbytes, networking icons. Realtech still works but i have to look through my programs to run it. Also my usb network adapter isn't working now. Do you know why these changes happened?

Oh and im running memtest right now on the good stick.

#15 snapjaw

snapjaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 10:25 PM

Alright the icons are back and the memtest passed. Only thing weird is the usb receiver for my keyboard and mouse only works on the front ports. Other than that I guess everything is good. Thanks for everything usasma.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users