Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Roll Back from Win10 to Win8.1

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ocean77

ocean77

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:34 AM

I upgraded to Windows 10 from 8.1 September 5, but have been thinking about rolling back. I've had a couple minor issues but nothing serious so why roll back? There is one thing that I have a problem with and it's Cortana, it is made out to be this great information and help aid, but I find it very limited to say the least. If I want to know the weather I can view it myself. She cannot do Voice Rec where she can take you to a web site that you need to find in a hurry or help write out a Word Doc through a voice command.

Cortana...useless. I know it could be the user (Me) but when I ask certain things of her ...nothing..silence so I have basically put her on the shelf.

I had one other minor issue so why go back to Win 8.1 so I can hopefully get rid of this large  task bar at the bottom of my screen and maybe use the Voice rec that came with Windows 8 that I just found out about. 

My wife is having problems with her wrist and she was hoping to have Voice rec to help with the writing.

Thoughts....has anybody rolled back as of yet and if not do you think it best just to hold onto 10? Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 12:07 PM

I'm sorry for your, and your wife's, issues, Ocean. I don't think Cortana is ready for prime time, yet, and even if she were, she would need a good bit of training to do what you want, All things being equal, I would suggest that you wait for the first big update and see, but you don't have time to do that, if you want to roll back. You can certainly roll back now, and re-upgrade later if the problems you have are solved, in the future.

#3 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 16 September 2015 - 12:47 PM

I could give you many reasons to roll back, but at the end of the day, you have to decide for yourself.  If Voice Rec isn't working in 10 but was in 8.1, then that's a big reason, right now -- according to what YOU wrote...

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#4 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 05:15 PM

Click here for Asok Smith's generic (Win7/8.1) directions on rolling back, if that's what you decide to do.  The link is to a Computerworld article where his comment shows; you first have to DISPLAY the comments to see it, then search on 'Asok', sorry.  Unfortunately its SHARE doesn't work (like so much else about that now-dysfunctional, website).

Edited by brainout, 16 September 2015 - 05:18 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#5 coaler

coaler

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 16 September 2015 - 07:43 PM

I tried 10 for a couple of days. I lost 3 or 4 of my paid programs...some pictures and generally didn't like the set up. I went back to 8.1. I know a lot of people didn't like 8 but I do. Find it easier to navigate for a old lady than 10. Guess its a matter of personal choice. Probably won't live long enough for when they stop supporting 8 so for now am satisfied...that no 10 in my immediate future.

#6 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 07:55 PM

I'm also going to be going back to 8.1 tomorrow. It just popped and said I had to update my browser. I Never had to update my browser especially the browser the mentioned I don't even use.

#7 AlicePhoebe

AlicePhoebe

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:28 PM

I can't rolle back now because i have upgraded win 10 in July 29, Windows 10 rollback option is only available for 30 days

#8 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:05 PM

You can go back anytime, Paragraph 7 of your Windows 10 EULA says that.  You can access it on your Win10 machine by typing 'winver.exe' and then clicking on that same name in the upper left corner which appears after typing.  Then you can click on the link to the licence, look up paragraph 7, or you can look in your windows System32 folder for license.rtf.  Or, you can look here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

The 30 days applies only to how long the windows.old folder can be used before it becomes outdated.  So if you cloned your Win7 machine before you moved to Win10, just clone back and you'll be fine, as if you never went to Win10.

I can't rolle back now because i have upgraded win 10 in July 29, Windows 10 rollback option is only available for 30 days

Edited by brainout, 18 September 2015 - 09:05 PM.

#9 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:41 PM

Is that correct Brainout, that is so cool. A friend of mine wanted to roll back, but she also was under the understanding that after 30 days was to late. I will share that link with her and will that show the process on how to go back? Thank you!

#10 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 11:51 PM

Yeah, sure it will prove she can go back, ocean77.  It's the official MS LICENSE which as I posted, she can find on her own Win10 machine.  Manufacturers are using that 'downgrade rights' provision to still sell NEW Windows 7 machines!  I did videos showing that, here, but the videos only show Dell and Lenovo, and don't show how Lenovo did it for Win10 licenses:  but a client of mine three weeks ago got a preinstalled Win7 machine via downgrade rights in Paragraph 7 of the Win10 license, new from Lenovo.  I helped him after it arrived.

As for the PROCESS how to go back on an existing machine which had been Win7 (or 8.1) -- the only way is to restore a backup or clone from a clone hopefully made BEFORE Windows 10 was installed.  The 30 days only applied to the windows.old file method of restoration, which now can't work (and it didn't work too well during the 30 days, either).

Else, you have to clean install.  Procedure, I got the following video from a friend, link here.

Edited by brainout, 19 September 2015 - 12:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users