Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk drive not working

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 awaj2006

awaj2006

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 15 September 2015 - 02:00 PM

Good afternoon all,

So I have a PS3 that was working.   I put a DVD in after a period of not using it and the disk had gotten stuck.  A friend of mine had pulled the drive and put a new disk drive in.  It currently doesn't see any disks, game or otherwise.  I don't have too much time to fix it, but I would like to every so often try and fix this issue.  The thing I want to do is to jailbreak it to use downloaded games that I pulled from my ps3 disks.  I've seen a lot of stuff on the internet, but most of it is bogus or an opening for viruses.  Has someone here done this and either provide instructions or provide a decent solution?  I was tempted to toss linux on it, but from reading up on the process that there was no support for PS3 games at the moment. In advanced, I appreciate any and all assistance with this matter, and I will do my best to respond as quick as possible.  Thank you again for the assistance.

Thank you,

Awaj

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:20 PM

Did your friend put in a bluray drive or a dvd drive?

#3 awaj2006

awaj2006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 07:34 AM

it was a bluray.

#4 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 09:47 AM

Was it an official PS3 bluray drive or any bluray drive?

#5 awaj2006

awaj2006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 09:51 AM

I wasn't involved with the replacement.  My understanding is that it was one for playstations.  he tried 2 different drives that are (according to him) for the PS3, and I have no reason not to trust him.

#6 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:01 AM

Okay then. The cables for the bluray drive might not be attached correctly, or attached in the wrong slots. You can insert a disc, yes? The drive grabs the disc, but the PS3 itself does not read it? If you are certain the cables are all attached correctly, probably are since this was the second replacement attempt, then your friend may have forgotten the bluray's controller board.

In the PS3 there is the motherboard and the bluray's controller board. The controller board and the motherboard go together, they can not be separated normally. I think there is a process to put a new bluray controller with an old mobo, but you need the old mobo around. It is easier to use the old working bluray controller with the new bluray drive.

Edited by Gorbulan, 16 September 2015 - 10:06 AM.

#7 awaj2006

awaj2006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:07 AM

correct

#8 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:09 AM

Correct what? PS3 grabs discs but no read? Sorry, I edited my post with more information seconds before you posted.

#9 awaj2006

awaj2006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:37 PM

The drive picks up the disks and ejects them, but it won't see the games when they are put in.

#10 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:51 PM

Ask your friend if he put the old Bluray controller on the new Bluray drive. Without that part the motherboard and therefore the PS3 can not read from the bluray drive correctly. You can make the new controller talk to the PS3's mobo, but it is more complicated than putting the old controller in its place with the new drive.

#11 awaj2006

awaj2006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:52 PM

I Should see him on Sunday, I'll ask then and report back.

#12 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:57 PM

Good! Let me know. :)

#13 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 11:42 PM

Warning!

Downloading pirated games are illegal. They may contain viruses and/or trojans. Also if you plan to jailbreak it makes you run the risk of bricking your console and breaking the warranty terms, however we generally don't help people on these forums that try and jailbreak, mod, flash mod or usb mod their consoles. Another thing is that if you go online then PSN will detect your console immediately and permanently ban you. Also ripping games from a disk is considered as "Copyright Infringement".

Edited by CodeSmasha, 18 September 2015 - 11:47 PM.

#14 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 10:38 AM

CodeSmasha is right. What he does not mention, is that the first party (ex. Sony or Microsoft) can brick your console remotely if you are found to be cheating/hacking online. It does not always occur in every online game, but is has happened before.

#15 awaj2006

awaj2006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2015 - 04:59 PM

I was hoping that my intent was just on the side where it would be ok, I am sincerely sorry for asking for help on something illegal.

So, the friend didn't show up this morning, so, can we assume that he didn't transfer the disk controller over with the new drive.  Where can I get steps to enable the new controller? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users