Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need advice on updating Windows 8.0 Pro 64 bit to 8.1

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 10rand

10rand

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 15 September 2015 - 01:43 PM

I have recently installed Windows 8 Pro 64 bit. I need advice in updating to Windows 8.1. Data is a bit expensive. Is it possible to download just the needed files? I do not know how big the normal update file is. Please advise. Thank you in advance.

"The man who never makes a mistake always takes orders from the one who does."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 15 September 2015 - 01:46 PM

Hi 10rand :)

Sadly, there's no "stripped" down version of the Windows 8.1 upgrade. You can download it from the Windows Store (if you open the app, it'll offer you to upgrade to Windows 8.1 for free). How much data do you have left?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 10rand

10rand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:16 PM

I just bought 5 Gig, I would like to stretch it as much as possible. Almost everytime I boot the computer I am reminded to upgrade.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 05:24 AM

I don't know what the "upgrade" size is, but it should be around 2-3GB, which would take like 50% of your data in one go sadly. Any reason why you installed Windows 8 instead of Windows 8.1 right away?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 10rand

10rand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 05:42 AM

I was upgrading from Windows 7 and I did not know you can upgrade to 8.1. Thank you for your assistance.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 06:50 AM

No problem. Is it possible for you to perform the upgrade elsewhere, like at a friend's house with unlimited bandwidth or so?

unite_blue.png

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:44 PM

When you do the upgrade from windows 8 to 8.1 there are a few things to be aware of, I detailed them at the following links in response to other posters also wanting to upgrade windows 8 to 8.1.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/587963/windows-8-service-pack-support-end-date-jan-12-2016/#entry3800696 Point 2 in my post is relevant to you

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/589753/why-is-windows-81-upgrade-not-applicable/#entry3814077 This was for someone struggling to perform the upgrade, but some of the points in my post may help you, especially the warning about system images.

My own experiences with upgrading, which I did a few months back are documented here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/551980/the-windows-updates-monitoring-thread/page-7#entry3773769 . Post #92 and 93 are somewhat relevant(they describe problems which CAN occur, not necessarily problems YOU will face), however they deal with the problems I had, you might well not experience the same problems. If you do have problems, of ANY KIND, I STRONGLY advise you ask for help and DO NOT immediately replicate what I did, ask before taking ANY of the measures I describe, I only had to take them because of some problems I had, you might not have to worry at all.

Although I had problems as described here I still suggest that upgrading windows 8 to 8.1, as long as the hardware is compatible, is a good idea, primarily because windows 8.1 gets supported for longer, support for 8 ends in january. I advise doing it when you know you will have 3 or 4 days clear, do it on the first of those days and then you have 2 or 3 more days afterwards to fix any issues that might occur. Don't do it on days when you know you'll need your computer the next day, don't do it at a time when you have things that must be done the next day. The download time varies depending on your bandwidth, the install takes a few hours. If you do have problems don't go editing things and altering things(because if done even slightly wrong this could destroy systems if the user doesn't have some system images (made with windows 8.1 after upgrade) to hand), post here and describe your issues, if any occur, you might be lucky, they might not.

P.S. as further advice, if you have any system images at present you might want to restore to them before upgrading, that way you get to perform the upgrade on a "cleaner"* system.

*cleaner as in closer to be brand new installed out of the box. Upgrades like this are ideally done on systems which are in brand new condition or atleast are in close to new condition.

Edited by rp88, 16 September 2015 - 01:46 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#8 10rand

10rand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 02:36 AM

I took the plunge and upgraded. Everything seem to be running well at the moment. @rp88 I did not have a system image. How do I go about doing that? After setting ithe system up the way I want and installing the necessary updates I would like to make an image to backup to in the case of emergencies. @Aura,  I did not have someone with unlimited bandwidth. It's going to take me a little bit of time to finish this. I am low on data after the upgrade and there is about 2 gig of updates to be installed. Thank you all for your assistance.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:31 AM

The guide below contains instructions on how to create a system image backup on Windows 8.1, here:

https://www.winhelp.us/system-image-backup-in-windows-8-1.html

And yes, you'll have a lot of updates to install (pretty much every updates since Windows 8.1 was released, on top of the "Update 1" which is quite big itself).

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users