Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Documents has over 22K loose files!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 BlueSapphire

BlueSapphire

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 15 September 2015 - 01:41 PM

Hello,

I've had this problem show up now on two different computers, almost a year apart. Suddenly, for an unknown reason, when My Documents is opened up, there were literally thousands of loose files that don't belong. The first time this happened I tried all sorts of things to clean it up (long story) because the files couldn't be deleted without affecting operations and the original subfolders filed in My Documents, but in the end I created a new user and deleted the "corrupted" user.

Well, now that it's happened on another computer (both run Win 7 Pro, but one's a Dell desktop & one's a Lenovo laptop), I want to fix it, and I want to understand what is causing this to happen so I can hopefully avoid having to deal with this issue in the future.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 15 September 2015 - 01:43 PM

Hi BlueSapphire :)

Your screenshot is way too small so I cannot see the filenames, nor their extensions. Can you take a bigger screenshot or let me know what the filenames are (just 2 or 3) and their extensions?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 BlueSapphire

BlueSapphire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 01:58 PM

The files in the screenshot are all html files. But there's everything from html to doc to png to dbf to ico to dll files to .gitignore and more. With over 22K files, I haven't thoroughly reviewed them! But most of html files appearing the the screenshot have names like 1T0001878227.html and there's another group of html files that has names like WS5b3ccc516d4fbf351e63e3d117f9e08d19-7f32.html.

And to be fair, I do have a boatload of actual documents which are included in this mess (including html files for a website I maintain), but they don't appear in their subfolders unless I click the down arrow to open My Documents in the left pane of Win Exp. *That* is how I've been getting around the last couple of months since this happened.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 02:00 PM

What's the creation and last modification date for all these files? Are they the same?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 BlueSapphire

BlueSapphire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 02:21 PM

They're all different.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 02:24 PM

Can you .zip a few files (different extensions like .html, .doc, .png, etc. multiple of each) then upload the archive (.zip file) on Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive and post the download URL here? I would like to see what they contain.

unite_blue.png

#7 BlueSapphire

BlueSapphire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 04:07 PM

Here's a link to the zip file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6KbwaKIpP0QS3JhMzlYb1ExRDQ/view?usp=sharing

I noticed something while selecting files. This is a bit different from what happened a year ago, in that all the files that don't belong seem to be website related, and I'm wondering if Adobe/Dreamweaver is responsible. I'm anxious to hear what you have to say about the samples.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 05:46 PM

I think I know what happened. You might have saved a webpage in your Documents by mistake. And if you decide to save a whole webpage, it means that you save every single pictures, CSS, HTML, etc. files on it.

unite_blue.png

#9 BlueSapphire

BlueSapphire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 05:52 PM

I'm assuming you mean a page from a web browser. By default I have everything save to my Desktop, and I don't save webpages, only bookmark them.

If by chance you mean while working on the website, when this happened on the other computer, there was no website management software on that computer...

And how would this cause all folders to disappear in the right pane of Win Exp, and all documents to be filed loose?

Not trying to be disagreeable :smash:

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 05:53 PM

And how would this cause all folders to disappear in the right pane of Win Exp, and all documents to be filed loose?

I don't understand what you mean by that. And to me it indeed looks like a webpage or website was saved locally on your system. Let me check something.

Edit: Some webpages are related to a Canon printer manual.

http://www.digitex.ca/downloads/Manuals/ManualiRADVC2030/contents/1T0000327417.html

Edited by Aura, 15 September 2015 - 05:54 PM.

unite_blue.png

#11 BlueSapphire

BlueSapphire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 06:13 PM

When I scroll through those thousands of files, there are no subfolders - but only when I'm looking at the right Win Exp pane. Everything is organized in alpha order. No subfolders. When I click the down arrow next to My Documents in the left Win Exp pane, the subfolders appear in the left pane. So I can easily find the actual file I want to open in this way, because once I can see the subfolders and I click on one, the subfolder's contents display correctly in the right Win Exp pane, and I can browse and open any document with ease.

We do have a Canon printer...so at some point I would have gone online to get a manual, which is properly filed in my IT subfolder.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 06:15 PM

Right-click on your Documents folder, and change the View to Details. From there, click on the Type column. I don't know it's after one or two clicks, but all the folders should be shown at the top. The problem here is your View, it's hard to find the subfolders in that mode.

unite_blue.png

#13 BlueSapphire

BlueSapphire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 06:30 PM

Sorry, but there really are NO FOLDERS showing up no matter how I view.

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 06:34 PM

Even if you open your Documents, type in the name of one folder you know is there? Let's say I open this folder here and start typing "Windows" (not in the search zone, like no where), it'll put the cursor on the Windows Update Training folder.

fSeFZqq.png

unite_blue.png

#15 BlueSapphire

BlueSapphire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 06:43 PM

Yes, if I type the name of a subfolder into the Search box, it shows up, and when I click on it my documents are contained within it, as they should be. The folders are there. I can see them under My Documents (only in the left pane).

Here's a twist: if I open Win Exp and browse to >C\Users\me\My Documents, and then click on My Documents - THE DISPLAY IS CORRECT - only subfolders show up in the right pane.

So...it is only when viewing via the Library area that the view is incorrect. Could the documents library have gotten corrupted?

Edited by BlueSapphire, 15 September 2015 - 06:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users