Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I configure my FTP site to open files instead of downloading them?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bobt2004

Bobt2004

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 15 September 2015 - 01:27 PM

I have an FTP site on a CentOS Linux 7 server using Tomcat 8.

My FTP files are located under /var/www/html/... and they are mostly ASCII-text CSV files.

When I log in to my site from another computer and display the directory listing, everything looks normal.  However, when I click on a file it is automatically downloaded to my computer.   This is not the behavior I want.  I want the files to open in the browser and display the text.

There are numerous examples showing how to create an ".mtaccess" file and configure it to force files to download, but I have yet to find an example that shows how to force files to open.  Can anyone help with this?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scotv

scotv

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 04:03 AM

Usually double clicking downloads the file from an FTP program like Filezilla or cuteFTP

But, ftp files like csv, php, aspx do not open up in browser because it is a desktop software connecting to server. You can at best edit these files by directly right click and editing directly using a csv editing program like excel or wps sheets.

You can try a browser add on like Fire ftp from firefox to check if it helps you regarding this..

Scot V

Marketing Head

Member- DSIM

Fastest Web Browser for Windows

#3 KimSRT

KimSRT

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 01 October 2015 - 01:25 PM

This is not a setting on an FTP Server--it is client software that you need. A product like WebDrive allows you to edit your remote files in place (full disclosure: I work for the developer of this product but had to comment because it does exactly what you are looking for). With WebDrive, you can open, edit, and save just as you would files on your desktop without the hassle of double clicking, syncing, etc. You can try it for free here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users