Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

question about recommended PSU requirements

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 flobiwan

flobiwan

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:40 AM

I am looking to replace my old PC running 3 monitors and three SATA 7200RPM hard drives with a Dell XPS 8700 also running 3 monitors and 3 HDs. .  The new Dell has an Intel i7 4790 CPU.  I will be adding DDR3 memory to bring it up to 32GB.  I will also be adding 2 external hard drives as backups via USB 3.0.  I noticed from the specs that it comes with a 460 watt PSU.  It also comes with a NVidia Gforce GT720 video card which, according to the pictures, looks like it has hookups for 3 monitors already.

Usually, when i get a new PC, i replace the stock 300 watt PSU with a 500 or 600 watt, add the 2 additional hard drives, then add the video card for the 3 monitors and add additional RAM if desired.

It looks like i won't have to add the video card and i'm HOPING i can get by with the stock PSU since it's 460 watts.  I'd love to not have to mess with replacing it if i don't have to.  I don't do gaming on my PC but i do watch videos and also edit DVD and Divx videos on it.

I'm assuming that, since this new PC comes with a graphics card with hookups for 3 monitors, the 460 watt PSU is made to handle that.  Is that a safe assumption?

So, with adding 2 additional internal SATA hard drives, 2 external hard drives, 3 monitors, and extra 16GB of DDR3 RAM to bring it up to 32, do you think i'll still be safe with the 460 watt stock PSU?

How will i know if i need more power?  Is there a good software you can recommend to monitor PSU usage?  Also, what sort of signs should i be looking for that indicate that the PC needs more power?

Edited by flobiwan, 15 September 2015 - 11:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:21 PM

You'll be fine. The recommended power supply for that card is 300W. It can do three monitors at once, should not have a problem with that. I ran your specs through a couple of power supply calculators and with its recommendation didn't even hit 300W.

Why do you want so much RAM? At a point, adding RAM does nothing. It all depends on what you are doing with the computer. What kind of video editing were you planning to do?

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:29 PM

It would be fine.  The GT720 is a low power graphics card (about 20w).  I make an assumption for a 3.5" hard drive to use about 10 watts in ordinary use, but they can draw considerably more during when spinning up.  E.g. a Seagate 3Tb 7200rpm drive draws 2.5A during start up (= 30w).

Try running your spec through a calculator like - http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

No there is no real software solution to monitor PSU usage.  You can monitor voltages, and some software (e.g. HWMonitor) can estimate power consumption of some components, but it is only an estimate.  There are power supplies that can monitor power use, but they are very expensive digital power supplies (e..g this Corsair AX1200i).  A cheaper way of getting a rough idea is using a plug in power meter at the wall socket.  This will be higher than the PC component usage due to efficiency losses, but it still gives an idea.  You'll probably be surprised by how low power consumption is most of the time.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 flobiwan

flobiwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 01:22 PM

You'll be fine. The recommended power supply for that card is 300W. It can do three monitors at once, should not have a problem with that. I ran your specs through a couple of power supply calculators and with its recommendation didn't even hit 300W.

Why do you want so much RAM? At a point, adding RAM does nothing. It all depends on what you are doing with the computer. What kind of video editing were you planning to do?

I rip DVD MPGs or Divx files to my HDD and edit them using VideoRedo or Divx Author to cut parts out or add scenes in.  Do you really think the added RAM won't do anything?  The new PC comes with 8GB.  I have 16GB on my old one.  I just assumed more was better.

#5 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 04:07 PM

I rip DVD MPGs or Divx files to my HDD and edit them using VideoRedo or Divx Author to cut parts out or add scenes in.  Do you really think the added RAM won't do anything?  The new PC comes with 8GB.  I have 16GB on my old one.  I just assumed more was better.

It is better, if you are going to use the RAM. DVDs are low resolution compared with today's technology. People use to edit masters into DVDs back when a lot of ram was 1 gigabyte.

I suggest you start with 8GB for now. VideoRedo's requirements are 128MB (0.125GB) minimum, and 256MB (0.25GB) recommended. I doubt DivX Author needs more than 1 GB, it seems to be pretty old. With 8 gigs you have plenty of ram.

Edited by Gorbulan, 15 September 2015 - 04:49 PM.

#6 flobiwan

flobiwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 05:17 PM

I understand.  However, i do tend to keep a LOT of stuff open on my PC at one time.  No single program uses a ton of RAM but i can have an accounting program, a dozen spreadsheets, Firefox and Chrome with 50+tabs EACH open, Itunes, Outlook and a lot of other stuff open at the same time.  I'm not one to close programs just in case i want to use it again.  For that reason, i figured a lot of RAM would be useful.  For instance, right now, i'm not doing anything labor intensive, but with everything open, i see in Windows Task Manager that i'm using 8.42GB of RAM.  Most of it's probably Firefox and Chrome.  

#7 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:23 PM

I bet most of that RAM use is the flash plugin. 

#8 flobiwan

flobiwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 07:14 AM

I'm sure you're right on the money there.  Stupid Adobe.  

#9 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 09:55 AM

I'm sure you're right on the money there.  Stupid Adobe.  

Whoa now! Don't blame Adobe. Blame Macromedia. :P

If you are really concerned about memory consumption you can open the Resource Monitor and see actual memory usage. Firefox/Chrome tend to use as much as possible due to the Flash plugin. 8 GB should be fine for what you are doing. Are there any other programs you use aside from VideoRedo and DiVx?

#10 flobiwan

flobiwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 11:20 AM

Plenty.  Quickbooks (usually 2 or 3 versions open at once), Excel, Word, Outlook, Itunes, Gotomypc (i'm usually remotely connected to 1 or 2 clients at all times), Serviio - to stream videos to my TV, Adobe Acrobat, plus some proprietary accounting softwares and other misc ones i can't think of right now.  My taskbar is always jam packed.  

#11 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:06 PM

None of that requires a lot of RAM, relatively. Quickbooks, excel, word, and outlook consume different amounts of RAN depending on what they have opened. I think you'll be fine with 8 GB for now. 

Edited by Gorbulan, 16 September 2015 - 01:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users