Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB not recognizing anything besides keyboard/bluetooth mouse

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 wotan2525

wotan2525

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:29 AM

I had Windows 8.1 when this problem started. It's a pretty well outfitted machine and I'm not a noob. 4770k/Z87. First symptom was that two external USB drives just quit showing up. No exclamation points in device manager, nothing in disk management. Thumbdrives also not showing up.

When I plug in my keyboard or bluetooth dongle, I hear the connection sound. When I plug in a Wifi adapter or any storage.... nothing.

I've removed everything under the USB heading from device manager and rebooted.

I've upgraded to Windows 10.

I've tried every combination of legacy/non-legacy/usb3 settings possible in my ASRock Bios.

I've removed all devices and rebooted with USBDeview.

I'm pulling my hair out here. Any other bright ideas??

Edited by wotan2525, 15 September 2015 - 11:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,986 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:48 AM

Download Fatdog64Fatdog64-701.iso

Burn the iso or create a bootable USB with Rufus. You will need to disable SecureBoot if you have it in UEFI. When you boot to the FatDog desktop attach a USB drive. A USB icon will appear next to your hard drive partitions in the lower left. Click once on the icon and the drive will automatically mount and a file manager will open.  If not I would say your problem is hardware and not software.

#3 wotan2525

wotan2525
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:31 PM

Download Fatdog64Fatdog64-701.iso

Burn the iso or create a bootable USB with Rufus. You will need to disable SecureBoot if you have it in UEFI. When you boot to the FatDog desktop attach a USB drive. A USB icon will appear next to your hard drive partitions in the lower left. Click once on the icon and the drive will automatically mount and a file manager will open.  If not I would say your problem is hardware and not software.

USB Drives show up in the BIOS so I don't think the problem is hardware.  They also show up on other devices.  I'll try the Fatdog ISO and see what happens.

Edited by wotan2525, 15 September 2015 - 07:35 PM.

#4 wotan2525

wotan2525
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:36 PM

Nothing is showing up in the BIOS or in Fatdog.  Is it possible that somehow my ports have reverted to USB1.0 ONLY?!  How does that happen?  As far as I can tell, USB1 devices work fine and anything else I plug in is worthless.....

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,986 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:56 PM

That's interesting as USB 2 and 1.1 are supposed to supply the same power of 500ma. What worries me is that nothing is showing in your BIOS.  The only thing I can think of is to borrow a powered hub and see if any devices attached to it are recognized. Another option would be to use one of these cables and draw power from 2 USB ports but I would try the powered Hub option first if possible.

#6 wotan2525

wotan2525
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 09:54 AM

That's interesting as USB 2 and 1.1 are supposed to supply the same power of 500ma. What worries me is that nothing is showing in your BIOS.  The only thing I can think of is to borrow a powered hub and see if any devices attached to it are recognized. Another option would be to use one of these cables and draw power from 2 USB ports but I would try the powered Hub option first if possible.

I do have a powered hub and it makes no difference.  Front panel, rear panel and powered hub all recognize my bluetooth dongle and keyboard, but not any other device plugged into them!

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,986 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 12:46 PM

If Fatdog could not recognize any devices other than 1.1 and a powered hub did not work then I am out of ideas on this other than to flash the BIOS but that can brick the computer if the flash goes bad. 

#8 wotan2525

wotan2525
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 04:08 PM

Yeah. It's a stumper. I did flash the BIOS and did a full CMOS reset with a battery pull. No difference. Dang.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,986 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 04:32 PM

I'm grasping for straws here but if your MB supports XfastUSB install it and when attaching the flash drive check normal. 

#10 wotan2525

wotan2525
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 02:05 PM

XfastUSB was no use.  I ordered a USB3 PCI-E card from Amazon.  Going to try that -- ASRock has offered to RMA the board but I'm not convinced it's a hardware issue.  Thanks for your help.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,986 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 02:16 PM

No Problem. Please post an update when the card is installed.

#12 wotan2525

wotan2525
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:42 AM

New card is working.  It gets me back in business for now.  ASRock has offered to RMA the board but I'm not sure how to get by for a few weeks without it.....  Will probably just end up continuing to run as-is.  It's a bummer but not sure what else I can do.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,986 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:47 AM

Sometimes a company will ship the item and then let you ship the MB back after you get the new one. Maybe if you explain the problem they will do that or ask them if they could give a big discount on expedited shipping. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users