Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to find!!!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:17 AM

There is a great post with all the KB:'s to remove, also the registry fix to rid ourselves of having to go to Win10.  Hint as to where it is geatly appreciated.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:57 AM

There's a program called "Destroy Windows 10 Spying" that removes all the KB's, turns off certain privacy settings, and blocks access to certain Microsoft servers that Windows 10 uploads data to. I won't post the link but a simple Google Search will get you to it. That's the easiest route unless you would rather do everything manually...

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 10:06 AM

I'm pretty sure the thread is somewhere in the Windows 10 Discussion section (because you are talking about disabling that stuff on Windows 7, 8 and 8.1, right, no Windows 10?).

As for the Registry "fix", it's a matter of changing a simple value in the Registry from 0 to 1.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351

To suppress this offer through the registry, specify the following registry value:

Subkey: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
DWORD value: DisableOSUpgrade = 1

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 01:20 PM

Thanks!  I tried up to page #20 and gave up, it had all the info in one post that I wanted to forward to a friend.  I will have to keep digging, they are worth it!!!

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 01:22 PM

The poster was most likely rp88, brainout or another whose name I forgot.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 06:05 PM

All the KB's to remove are part of the Windows Telemetry Update so just google Windows Telemetry Updates and you'll find a list...

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 06:11 PM

Well here's 4.

https://bgr.com/2015/08/28/windows-10-features-spying-windows-7-8/

And here's a more complete list (under the form of a batch file).

https://gist.github.com/xvitaly/eafa75ed2cb79b3bd4e9

unite_blue.png

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 15 September 2015 - 06:43 PM

Maybe this...

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/destroy_windows_10_spying.html

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 06:47 PM

Isn't that only for Windows 10 too, and not Windows 7 and 8.1?

unite_blue.png

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:08 PM

This will disable the get windows 10 thingie...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx]
"DisableGwx"=dword:00000001

HERE will give you more info....

and....

• KB3068708 Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry - This update introduces the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices. By applying this service, you can add benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet upgraded. The update also supports applications that are subscribed to Visual Studio Application Insights. (Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1), and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1)
  • KB3022345 (replaced by KB3068708) Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry - This update introduces the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to in-market devices. By applying this service, you can add benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet been upgraded. The update also supports applications that are subscribed to Visual Studio Application Insights. (Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1), and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1)
  • KB3075249 Update that adds telemetry points to consent.exe in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 - This update adds telemetry points to the User Account Control (UAC) feature to collect information on elevations that come from low integrity levels. (Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1), and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1)
  • KB3080149 Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry - This package updates the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices. This service provides benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet upgraded. The update also supports applications that are subscribed to Visual Studio Application Insights. (Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1), and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1)

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:10 PM

At this point might as well remove the KB3035583 altogether. That update is practically useless now that you can upgrade using the Media Creation Tool and it have more chances to succeed rather than using Windows Update.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users