Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Adapter

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hitbit_3

hitbit_3

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:34 AM

Hello All,

I have a Realtek PCIe Family Controller and would appreciate assistance in finding out the following,

Is this a Gigabit adapter,

What download speeds in MegaBytes can it handle.

I am trying to decide which broadband package to subscribe to as my provider ( cable service ) offers up to 240 MegaByte download speeds.

Thanks

hitbit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 15 September 2015 - 10:04 AM

Probably easiest to download Speccy and publish a snapshot using these instructions.  Include the link to the snapshot in your next post.  This shows details of your hardware so we can look up the motherboard or network card details.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 hitbit_3

hitbit_3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 01:36 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/L6vAvvEW8YQXF8xXvD2xPZR

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 05:54 PM

Thanks for that.  Is that a Lenovo H30-00?  Lenovo's site is not very helpful with precise product specifications...  I've been through the product page and both the user manual and the technical service manual, to no avail.  Is it really that difficult for them to list what features their products have?!?

Anyway, most third party websites list the model as having a Fast Ethernet 10/100 adapter.  Example.  The Realtek "FE Series" driver that Speccy shows is for 10/100 speed ethernet chipsets too, so I'd say with 95-99% confidence it's a 100 megabit capable interface and not gigabit.

With internet connections faster is always good, but I'd say the really fast 100mbit+ services are really only going to come into their own when you have multiple devices connected.

Edited by jonuk76, 15 September 2015 - 05:55 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 hitbit_3

hitbit_3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:40 AM

Hi jonuk76,

Thanks for all the help.

I found the same with Lenovos information / support. It seriously lacks clarity.

I'll settle for the 100 megabit capability. Its more than fast enough for my needs and I'm currently getting approx 93 down and 24 up through my cable provider who offers a package up to 120 and another up to 240.

Opting for the 120 is less expensive than the 240 and so is a better option given the adapter's capabilities.

Again my thanks.

Hitbit

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 02:42 PM

No problem.  Your welcome :)

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic