Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I really need to replace my monitor just to run Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 1up2down

1up2down

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:53 AM

Windows Upgrade Advisor tells me that my screen resolution does not meet the requirements, but do I really need to replace my monitor just to run Windows 8.1 Especially seeing as I only brought the monitor just over 2 years ago for £180.

The screen resolution of my monitor is 1920 x 1080 and the advisor tells me I need at least 1024 x 768. That does not seem to be much of a difference to me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:55 AM

Hi 1up2down :)

1920x1080 is a higher resolution than 1024x768, so I think it's a bug with the Windows Upgrade Advisor. You'll be able to upgrade to Windows 8.1 just fine with a monitor with that resolution, don't worry about it. What is your current version of Windows?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:03 AM

Thanks, that's what I thought, but then I thought maybe it was just me getting senile in my old age.

I am mainly using Windows XP at the moment but installed Windows 7 on another drive to see how I get along with it. I also have a ISO image of Windows 8.1 ready for doing a clean install when my new hard drive arrives.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:06 AM

What you could do is to upgrade your graphic card drivers, restart your computer, then run the Upgrade Advisor again and see if it prompts you that message again. Even if it does, I would just ignore it. It's just to see if updating the graphic card drivers will do the trick.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:13 AM

Thanks again. I will give that a try. I am waiting for a new graphics card to arrive anyway, but I think its only slightly better than the one I already have.

Edited by 1up2down, 15 September 2015 - 08:15 AM.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:17 AM

It should do it for Windows 8.1 :)

unite_blue.png

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,652 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:36 AM

I am mainly using Windows XP at the moment but installed Windows 7 on another drive to see how I get along with it.

Just to jump in here....make double-sure you really want to upgrade to Windows 8.1; bear in mind that you will be dealing with the hated charms screens. Microsoft got a real black eye with the public when they released it. Windows 7 is much easier to find your way around in (organized basically the same way as XP), and for most users Windows 8 doesn't offer any more options than Windows 7.

I do understand that it will be on different HDD so that is a smart way to go.

Edited by ranchhand_, 15 September 2015 - 08:42 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:37 AM

If you install a Start Menu, you'll never have to deal with the Metro interface. You can also use the Control Panel instead of the "Charms" menu.

unite_blue.png

#9 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:02 AM

How do I install a start menu?

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 10:03 AM

You can use Classic Shell. Download and install it, then you're free to use the default theme or customize it the way you want.

http://www.classicshell.net/

unite_blue.png

#11 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:53 PM

So glad you told me about this. It looks great and should make things a lot easier. So I have already downloaded it and will give it a try later. Thanks

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:54 PM

No problem, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png

#13 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 01:54 PM

I am mainly using Windows XP at the moment but installed Windows 7 on another drive to see how I get along with it.

Just to jump in here....make double-sure you really want to upgrade to Windows 8.1; bear in mind that you will be dealing with the hated charms screens. Microsoft got a real black eye with the public when they released it. Windows 7 is much easier to find your way around in (organized basically the same way as XP), and for most users Windows 8 doesn't offer any more options than Windows 7.

I do understand that it will be on different HDD so that is a smart way to go.

To be honest, I would really like to stick with Windows XP for the rest of my life. In my opinion its one of the best Windows operating systems they have ever produced, and I have seen and used just about all of them, right up to Windows 7. Unfortunately I have been having a lot of problems with XP over the last few years, the worse being explorer.exe keep forcing me to reboot just to open a new folder. The problems seemed to have slowly crept in after they came out with Vista and 7.

After they stopped supporting XP, my old computer eventually became so slow that I felt I had no choice but to upgrade it and use one of the newer versions of Windows. The funny thing is though that on this upgraded computer XP appears to be running almost perfectly again. Nice and fast. Its not anything to do with the operating system because I am still using the same system on the same hard drive.

You wouldn't think changing from a motherboard with a AMD 2.21 processor to one with a AMD 3.5 would make that much difference.

As for Windows 7 being organized basically the same way as XP, your right. You can make it look and run a bit like XP, but I wish it was as easy to find things like the Application Data and Start Menu folders.

#14 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,652 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:14 PM

After they stopped supporting XP, my old computer eventually became so slow that I felt I had no choice but to upgrade it

Actually, the advent of Vista and other versions had nothing to do with XP slowing down; every week I have XP units coming in that are "slow".  In all the cases, once I have removed garbageware from the manufacturer, adware and spyware that is loaded on the unit, BHOs and toolbars that were installed by programs downloaded by the user and installed, the computer runs fast and clean again. My wife is still running XP for some really heavy duty software including webinars from her corporate servers, and after 10 years it runs faster than my Windows7 Ultimate version. I regularly "prune" it of garbageware.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#15 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:09 PM

1920x1080 is the monitor resolution I use its the default of the monitor I use. Of course my monitor and computer were bought with windows 8.1 all ready on it I was not a upgrader.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users