Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this a good deal? + some basic questions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 14 September 2015 - 11:31 PM

So, I have never bought a tablet (or a laptop either), and sort of thought they were all in the same price range as the MS Surface tablets. I saw this one at Best Buy today and was really tempted to buy it, even though I know little about Acer and how good their products are. So, any opinions on whether or not it is a good deal?

Also, I am pretty much a dummy about the inner workings of tablets, particularly cooling. Question 1 - do they have any fans inside them?

Question 2 - I read somewhere that tablets run cooler when they are stood on edge, than when they lay flat (because more surface area is exposed to the air). Is this something any tablet users have noticed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,322 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:37 AM

In my opinion,Acer makes good products. In regard to your first question,No,they do not have fans,as a laptop does.Cooling is usually done by heatsinks,which are attached to the processor inside.Since the outside is basically sealed on a tablet.standing one on its edge would not make any difference.As to whether it is a good deal or not,that would depend on what you plan to use it for?School?Internet browsing? The one you chose has a relatively small processor and not much memory-RAM- which will make a lot of difference in how it performs! Do some searching on the internet to see how it is rated!

#3 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:58 AM

If it can run Visual Studio 2015, that would be a plus. I wouldn't count on it doing that, or at least not running it well 
(it's ok, I can write code in notepad and copy/paste into VS later). Beyond that, some word processing, internet surfing and low-end games are mostly what I envision using it for.

#4 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,322 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 02:51 AM

Beyond that, some word processing, internet surfing and low-end games are mostly what I envision using it for.

Aside from VS- if that's what you will be using it for- I think you are good to go- for the price!

#5 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,322 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 03:05 AM

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/visual-studio-2015-system-requirements-vs.aspx#1

You might want to look at this!

#6 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:48 PM

technically, the atom processor in this tablet is lower frequency than minimum for VS2015, but since the atom is quad core I think it would still work. There are other considerations if I was going to install VS on it-

VS has a lot of features that can be enabled or left disabled, and I think it might run sluggishly with some of the ones I like to use enabled.

There is only 32 GB storage to play with, and once VS and Blend are installed plus SDK's and all the .Net stuff get installed, I am guessing about 10 GB will get eaten up by all that. 

So, I think VS wouldn't be out of the question, but I don't know if I would really want to use it for that (no real harm in trying it though)

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 06:02 PM

As long as you don't expect a long term return on your investment, you may be OK. 

At that price, I recommend that you purchase a 3 to 4 year SquareTrade warranty, they cover return shipping if it goes bad & if it's too expensive to repair, your purchase price (minus taxes) is refunded in full. You have up to 29 days after purchase to obtain a warranty & there are online coupon promos that you can apply after the final price is shown. You can also subscribe to SquareTrade to get promos in your email box. You can get 4 years of coverage for less than what the OEM (or Best Buy) will charge for extra. Plus Best Buy warranties aren't the best, they always try to find a fault on the consumer's end & charges for the repair, even though you may think you're covered. Best Buy is the last place I'd purchase a 3rd party warranty from & as far as that goes, the last place in general I've purchase anything from. They sell XPS 8700's with i5 CPU's for more than Costco charges for the same PC with an i7-4790 & 2x more RAM. 

So it may be that you can find the same brand of tablet with more power & storage at a lower price elsewhere. 

Though I purchase one for every computer I purchase (new or refurbished), I especially recommend one for any Acer/Gateway computer, as everyone that I known that had one either needed warranty service for these, or the units went out not long after the warranty ended. Out of 6 to 8 people who purchased Acer notebooks that I know in recent years (since 2010), none had these for longer than 2 years, every last one gave problems. Most were brought to me to check out, there's many things that I can fix, but not broken motherboards, something that Acer has long been known for. 

That's why the low price, I can see skimping on the storage, yet not critical components like the MB. 

My recommendation if you're not pressed for time, would be to search for the best models within the price range you're willing to pay. Google can be the best desktop assistant you'll ever need or have, if given a chance. Just don't purchase a brand based on publication (like PC World) reviews, as they 'push' the models there that OEM's spend the most for ads on. That was how I made my first new PC purchase in 2009 & the only thing left I have to show for it is the stand, that was used on a HP monitor to lower it. 

Newegg has some good deals, though I'm partial to the site, will still do my homework before a purchase. That's the main thing you need to do, is research the model you're looking at, read the reviews. Visit the OEM forum & see how many users are complaining & what it's about. If there's several with the same issue, that's a red flag. You may be the next to deal with the same issue & some OEM's drags their feet, and what's stopping them? They already have what they want & that's your hard earned cash. They also know the market for $300-450 computers is a large one, many can't afford better & they'll accept a few bad reviews & keep on spewing their junk computers as fast as these can be built. 

Whatever you decide, good luck with your purchase! :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 08:20 PM

I will think about the Square Trade warranty if I get this one, might have to do it the paycheck after I buy it. Also agree about Best Buy, and really brick-and-mortar stores in general, not giving better deals than online usually. I just happened to be in Best Buy to get a windshield mount for my phone, to use it as a GPS, and they were having back-to-school sale on tablets. The one I linked to in 1st post wasn't on sale, and looked like a better value than the ones that were on sale - in terms of cost vs. display size, RAM and internal memory (processors were similar - bay trail Atom processors- among the ones I was looking at). 

Part of the appeal of it is that I can simply walk in to the store, which isn't far away, and walk out with my tablet. Might even see about trying it out right there at the store, to make sure it works, before paying for it - just to make sure it didn't break during shipping.

2 other things I particularly like about this model are that I am pretty sure it comes with a keyboard (specs mention keyboard 'dock', but every photo of it shows the keyboard); and it comes with Windows 10 already installed, so I don't need to futz around with upgrading it.

#9 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:07 PM

I bought this tablet a few weeks ago and I enjoy it. It's performance is somewhat sluggish when it comes to starting up big applications, but everything I run on it runs smoothly once it's started (haven't attempted Visual Studio yet). For $200 plus tax, it is everything I could ask for.

If you live in the U.S., it might be on sale for Black Friday weekend. At $130, I think it is a steal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users